7. 70s -- Manila in the Claws of Light. Nice restoration. Much respect to Lino Brocka and his crew for making a film during such harsh conditions that holds up almost fifty years later. Three stars.

8. 80s -- Where Is the Friend's House? Is Kiarostami one of the best to ever do it? Five movies in, I'm starting to wonder. Iranian cinema on the whole is underrated. Four stars.

9. 90s - Cold Water. Who knows, maybe down the line I'll feel it in my bones -- the beautiful tragedy of teenagers making poor decisions, risking everything to steal some rock 'n' roll LPs then deciding to run away to a magical place that obviously doesn't exist, all because they kissed near a bonfire -- but as of now I can't help but lament the sheer amount of arthouse prowess that gets sacrificed to the nostalgia gods. Assayas' camera is magical, however, and the lengthy, mostly wordless party centerpiece with song after song of licensing hell (Cold Water took nearly 25 years to be properly released in the U.S.) is a formalistic highlight. Three stars.

10. 00s -- Love and Basketball. Truth in advertising. The title is apt to the point of poetry. A great soundtrack overshadows the cornier moments. Three stars.

11. 10s -- Weekend. People keep talking about Before Sunrise (this too is a dialogue-heavy meet-cute), but I keep wondering why Andrew Haigh isn't considered part of the mumblecore scene. The naturalistic dialogue, unadorned style, and relatively unknown cast make it feel 100% real, like Bujalski's best moments. If you believe in love at first sight, soul mates, etc., then the central question -- "Will they or won't they get/stay together after 36 hours of true connection?" -- may carry more dramatic weight for you than it did for me. Three stars.

Up next:
12. War -- The Cranes are Flying
13. Science Fiction -- Time Bandits or maybe rewatches of Tarkovsky's Solaris/Stalker
14. Musical -- The Lure, The Young Girls of Rochefort, or a rewatch of All that Jazz