Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man of Steel

Sophistication precludes earnestness? Golly.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Sophistication precludes earnestness? Golly.
    Yeah, what bullshit. He seems to have confused sophistication with cynicism.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Dude. You're the guy who directed 300. Shut the fuck up about sophistication.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I'd rather be earnest than sophisticated any old day.

I'm all about being cynical. Its a bummer that Singer won't be involved this time around. He did a a fine job with the first flick.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Two villains, and a summer 2009 release?

Two Villains in Superman: Man of Steel
    Source: The Planet
    August 4, 2007

A user on BlueTights' The Planet Forum got a chance to meet Superman: Man of Steel co-writer Michael Dougherty at the U.S. Capitol and asked him about the sequel:

I asked him if he was a part of the sequel because everything I have seen says [Bryan] Singer and [Dan] Harris are writing the script and that he isn't mentioned. He confirmed that he is writing it with the two just like the last picture. I then expressed to him that I was hoping the delays of Superman: The Man of Steel weren't true. He said that they were on track and that the goal is still to have the movie out in the Summer of 2009. He seemed a little hesitant about it but did his best to try and reassure that it will get done by then. I asked if he could give any more info on the film. He responded, "There are TWO villains," and he smiled.

Brandon Routh is returning in the title role for the Warner Bros. release.

I really don't see how summer 2009 is possible, unless they start filming like, tomorrow.

An effects-driven summer event movie to come out in less than a year, and it's not even done the writing stage yet? I don't see this happening.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'd say the faster it is shot and edited, the less chance it's going to be laden with ridiculous po-faced seriousness like the last one. So that'll be good.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Hahahahaha! Summer 2009. Unless this is Clerks: The Superman Years... No.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I thought Singer wasn't going to be involved?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I thought Singer wasn't going to be involved?

The news for this movie seems to be all over the place. One day its this, next day its that...one day he's on, then he's off...

Regarding this improbability of having it out by next year...

Perhaps Clint Eastwood is directing this. He'd have it ready by December.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

WB confirmed that there won't be a Superman Returns sequel.

Their next Superman movie is going to be a complete reboot again.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's gonna be another 19 years, isn't it?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    It's gonna be another 19 years, isn't it?
    Hopefully.

Seriously though, I think I'm going to boycott comic-book films from this point forward. I'm sick to death of them, and the fact that the studios can fail with a franchise, and two years later decide to have a "do over" and start from scratch again is just obnoxious.

I'm with you, especially since Robinov is saying that they're going to start adapting DC heroes with the same approach as The Dark Knight--with gritty dark and brooding realism.

How fucking Superman!
    Movie Theater Diary

I was actually very interested in a Singer-helmed sequel to Returns. I can't imagine getting too excited about anything else, given my general ambivalence toward Superman and superheroes. And brooding and dark can GTFO.

Dark, brooding Superman. Right.

What they should do is take one of the good sagas from the comics and make a story about that. Like the one where Superman is exiled in space and has to fight for his life as a slave and then in the circus against Mongul.

I assure you this would sell tickets:

And it could even be considered a Returns prequel!

Wait. Didn't Returns fail commercially because it already took itself too seriously?
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Wait. Didn't Returns fail commercially because it already took itself too seriously?
    But it wasn't dark and moody!
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    But it wasn't dark and moody!
    Ah. Needs more emo:

letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I want a Superman film in which he actually fights a real super villain, someone as strong and powerful as he is (not financially, but in terms of strength and kicking ass). Lex Luther is Lame, lame, lame. It's no coincidence that his name starts with the same letter as the word lame.

The fight between Neo and Agent Smith in Revolutions was farking awesome, and was a shining example of how super-powered fights should be done.

I want to see Superman and some super villain fighting like the dudes in Dragonball, leveling cities, and royally kicking the shit out of each other and their environment. Have them take the fight from the Earth into outer space, into a frickin' black hole, into another dimension and shit.

/damn

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I want a Superman film in which he actually fights a real super villain, someone as strong and powerful as he is (not financially, but in terms of strength and kicking ass). Lex Luther is Lame, lame, lame. It's no coincidence that his name starts with the same letter as the word lame.

The fight between Neo and Agent Smith in Revolutions was farking awesome, and was a shining example of how super-powered fights should be done.

I want to see Superman and some super villain fighting like the dudes in Dragonball, leveling cities, and royally kicking the shit out of each other and their environment. Have them take the fight from the Earth into outer space, into a frickin' black hole, into another dimension and shit.

/damn
    Meh.

Although this would be awesome to see.
    Movie Theater Diary

I think Hollywood has stumbled across a new strategy - reboots. Remake every single summer blockbuster every 2-3 years. Sure, they've being doing that for decades by slapping a "2" or "Returns" on the end, but they've finally figured out the general public don't even need that veneer of "originality" to return to the trough.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Ugh. Spare me the ubermensch vs. ubermensch fights where all reason and humanity go completely out the window in favor of boring spectacle.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

/damn
    Uh, no. I have to agree with Raiders on this one. A Superman vs. Superman movie would be boring. We all saw how awful the final fight in The Incredible Hulk was. Lex Luthor is the perfect villain for Supes because he doesn't muscles to take him down but simple greed and intellect.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast