Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man of Steel

If Love makes you blind, Sex makes you comatose.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Seriously, though, I congratulate you if you're happy, but don't you ever think, had you waited until you were 30, you'd be able to do plenty of stuff, have a lot of experiences and learn a lot on your own. I'm not saying you haven't already, but you'd have ten more years of that. And by the time one settles now, there are no unfulfilled dreams.
    Learn what, exactly? I don't know what it is that I'm supposed to learn about life that I can't do with a partner by my side. Makes it less boring.

[
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Learn what, exactly? I don't know what it is that I'm supposed to learn about life that I can't do with a partner by my side. Makes it less boring.

[
    ]
    Well, yeah, part of it is having a lot of experiences with other women/men so that you're sure the one you're with is the one you want to live with for the rest of your life.

I'm sure we both know this, but I'm not trying to tell anybody how to live their lives now - what works for one doesn't work for the other. Just explaining why I feel Mark Millar is an asshole.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I hope not.
    I'd be okay with that.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'd be okay with that.

I like Superman stories to be very human, and have heart and soul.

I have yet to see him do something which shows an ability (or even an interest) in making an emotional film.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Hey, what about maybe The Wachowski Brothers?

Not sure how happy I'd be about that, but they're big action directors, and all their work since Bound has been for WB.

Then again, Speed Racer was a flop...but still.

The Wachowskis was one of the names considered before Singer came on board, so maybe. The Matrix Revolutions was basically their screen test.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, yeah, part of it is having a lot of experiences with other women/men so that you're sure the one you're with is the one you want to live with for the rest of your life.
    Meh. I find that to be a futile and endless search, because you can always find someone relatively better. The trick is to be content and happy with the one you've chosen because you believe in the relationship. Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure." I'm already as sure as I can be. It's not hard science that you can research.

I'm sure we both know this, but I'm not trying to tell anybody how to live their lives now - what works for one doesn't work for the other. Just explaining why I feel Mark Millar is an asshole.
    Yes, I know you're not. And yes, I too think Millar's a douche. I'm just arguing against your reasoning. He's an asshole for his crappy writing and his ego, not his personal family life.
    Movie Theater Diary

How well did the Matrix sequels actually end up doing at the box office?

I remember the critics being lukewarm about Reloaded, and flat-out disliking Revolutions. I never really followed how well they did.

How well did the Matrix sequels actually end up doing at the box office?

I remember the critics being lukewarm about Reloaded, and flat-out disliking Revolutions. I never really followed how well they did.
    Reloaded made over 700 million dollars worldwide. Revolutions over 400.
    Movie Theater Diary

Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure."
    Well, then that's totally different. I'd recommend waiting 'till 30 to have the kind of marriage where, if you wanna experience other women/men you gotta call and say you're staying for poker night or something like that.

On a completely unrelated topic, did you see Sick Nurses?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Mark Millar comes across like a weiner in that interview. And despite my lukewarm feelings for Singer's reboot, I'd like to see him work again with Brandon Routh on a sequel that ups the ante and finds a suitable villain for Superman.

On a completely unrelated topic, did you see Sick Nurses?
    Nope.
    Movie Theater Diary

I like Superman stories to be very human, and have heart and soul.

I have yet to see him do something which shows an ability (or even an interest) in making an emotional film.
    We'll see with Watchmen...

Nope.
    Don't you want to see Thai nurses in underwear and tight medical uniforms chop off their own limbs and feed them to each other?

Or you had enough of that during highschool?

Don't you want to see Thai nurses in underwear and tight medical uniforms chop off their own limbs and feed them to each other?

Or you had enough of that during highschool?
    Yep.

Bringing it back to Superman... I tried digging up a treatment for a "Superman V" I wrote years ago (this was before Returns) to no avail. I probably wrote it all shitty-like. Good thing I still remember the plot.
    Movie Theater Diary

Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure." I'm already as sure as I can be. It's not hard science that you can research.
    Actually, I laud this. Most people don't even given open marriages a moment's consideration. I imagine if more couples did, a lot of people might be happier dese days. Difficult to make work, though, from what I know/have read.

And I'm bi, too, but don't worry--I don't think you're attractive. :twisted:
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    And I'm bi, too, but don't worry--I don't think you're attractive. :twisted:
    Nor I you, you penguin-looking cousinfucker.
    Movie Theater Diary

Will Smith on why he turned down Superman:

“The last Superman I got offered, the script came, and I was like, ‘There is no way I’m playing Superman!’ Because I had already done Jim West (Wild Wild West) and you can’t be messing up white peoples’ heroes in Hollywood,” he recalled. “You mess up white peoples’ heroes in Hollywood, you’ll never work in this town again!”

Heh.
    Movie Theater Diary

Not Snyder. Not the Wachowskis.

Louis Leterrier.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well... there goes all my anticipation down the toilet.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Not Snyder. Not the Wachowskis.

Louis Leterrier.

Link?

'Cause, um, he's not really someone who holds a lot of clout with WB...I don't think he's ever done anything for them.

Link?

'Cause, um, he's not really someone who holds a lot of clout with WB...I don't think he's ever done anything for them.
    He's currently remaking Clash of the Titans for them.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I can't wait for this film to get stuck in development hell and not be made for 20-odd years.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Here's an article about how much superheroism has changed, but it also has a quote from Zack Snyder saying he is not the one directing The Man of Steel.

"They asked me to direct a Superman movie, and I said no," Snyder says. "He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast