11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

9 81.82%
  • Nay

2 18.18%

Thread: Matrix Resurrections

Matrix Resurrections

WIKI

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/The_Matrix_Resurrections.jpg[img]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yaaaaaaaaaaay

Producer
    Considering this is a decades-after continuation of a completed trilogy, it's a minor miracle how thrilling and rejuvenated the film comes off to me, bursting with rabbit hole of new, fresh ideas to fall into. Loved how meta-textual (to both its own legacy and current film/social landscape) and unabashedly romantic this is. The romance is a bit of a mean to an end in the first three films, but Keanu Reeves mellowing into acting and this role better, coupled with Lana finding a poignant angle for them, really make Neo/Trinity's romance an effective beating heart at the center this time. Main drawback to me is the action, which I can go along with it being different from the repurposed thrust of the film from previous three. But it's still full of striking images without any actual memorably choreographed sequences, which even their post-Yuen Woo-ping stuff like Jupiter Ascending has, making me think Lilly might be the imaginative actioner of the duo. Still, a film that sincerely and earnestly contemplates its characters' and audience's yearning for familiarity instead of just surfacely employing that impulse feels so rare that those flaws feel like minor blips in the grand scheme of things. 8.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Yuuup

Is it just me or is this movie anti-therapy?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's funny how this is a film mostly about a creator's exhaustion with the crushing fame of his/her most celebrated work. I was fully entertained by the winks at the original and the self-aware quality of the whole thing. I agree that the action scenes left a lot to be desired but I'm not sure it even wants to be an action film - in fact, part of me wishes it'd gone even further into full out parody. The use of sad Keanu is to be commended. Ultimately this is a reboot for people who've grown tired of reboots and that extra turn of the screw is all it needs to be a respectable Matrix sequel instead of yet another trip down nostalgia.