View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 62.50%
  • Nay

3 37.50%

Thread: Nightmare Alley (Guillermo Del Toro)

Nightmare Alley (Guillermo Del Toro)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    In term of GdT's too-slick prestige phase, I like it slightly more than The Shape of Water, since the director is more at home with dark descent than fairy-tale transporting. There are stretches here (often crossing the line over into drags) that it feels even mesmerizing to luxuriate in a gorgeous, expensively made production of paradoxically such cynical, bleak material. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Having seen the original recently (it's free on YouTube) I can confidently say this is a wonderful remake or re-adaptation, keeping everything that's unique, twisted and morbidly appealing about the story while significantly expanding on the character development and motivations. I impulsively bought a ticket because I had a few hours to spare and didn't realize the version still on theaters is the black and white one. While it grabbed me all the same, I have to say I owe myself a rewatch now because I kept wondering how each scene and set piece would look in color.

One thing that tickled me a bit is the wonderful use of typecasting - it actually saves a lot of time to have every talented actor portray exactly the type of role he's most famous for, and I can picture Del Toro watching Carol or Mindhunter and going "I need Blanchett and Mara in period costumes" or "I need Holt McCallany as a tough bodyguard".

Just watched this again in color and I can confirm I missed a lot in theaters - not really convinced the black and white was a good idea here despite the film's noir roots. I can also confirm I much prefer the "pure" genre Del Toro films (like this and Crimson Peak) to those that combine Horror elements with uplifting drama like The Shape of Water.

Very, very dull. Del Toro has taken 50s noir and embalmed it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64