View Poll Results: Last Night in Soho

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 66.67%
  • Nay

3 33.33%

Thread: Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright)

Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright)

The bad sound early on is intentional. So be aware of that. Once it improved I was able to focus on the movie, which as it turns out is probably my least favorite of the year.

Producer
    I thought Baby Driver pretty enjoyable for Wright's worst film (then), but this one slips further into just plain scattered. Still plenty stylish, but sans his comic sensibility to make it distinctive. What's left is a limp, increasingly repetitive story with vapid characters, which is saved a little by strong performances and a few neat set-pieces of directorial showmanship (although the CG near the end is distracting for this mishmash of genres).

After the one-two punches of Scott Pilgrim's lovingly constructed snow-globe encapsulation of adolescence worldview and The World's End's deconstruction/limit of it, Wright seems to regress afterwards by branching out into more straightforward genre films while still seemingly stuck in that worldview, making them come off simplistic. Which is unfortunate for this material because these weightier themes in his hands come off rather deeply confused and even unpleasant by the end. He really needs either Pegg or a strong work to adapt his signature style on. 5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

One of my most anticipated of the year and it does not disappoint. Wright just keeps getting better and better at storytelling and it's amazing that he gave Dame Diana Rigg such a worthy swan song. The magic of the movie is how it gets you rooting for the protagonist's idealization of the past in fashion and music to be vindicated, only to have that past be revealed as an awful and grueling experience. It's a deeper and more thoughtful story than most people (even its fans) are giving it credit for. Its precise, intelligent use of red herrings is also to be commended, old school storytelling at its finest.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-16-2022 at 02:35 PM.