• Yay

3 27.27%
  • Nay

8 72.73%

Thread: Eternals (Chloé Zhao)

Eternals (Chloé Zhao)

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

I think this entire band of superheroes, who have been living amongst us for thousands of years, is pretty unengaging and silly to me personally. Like Marvel having overextended their reach when they introduced them back in 1976. Several of these characters actually have close to the same superpowers as the X-Men so it's difficult for me to see them as true original and fascinating creations. If Cyclops is ever introduced into the MCU and meets up with Ikaris and touches him, I'm afraid they might cancel each other out Timecop-style.

For me this was the dullest Marvel flick so far and boy did I feel those 2 hours and 37 minutes.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I dunno. I wasn't bored at all like I was in Shang Chi. I didn't think about the X-Men once until the final fight, and that's where it clicked that this absolutely was the mutant vs mutant film we've been waiting 20 movies for. I also didn't relate Ikaris to Cyclops, but I did relate him to Super Man. Or maybe more appropriate, Homelander. So yeh, it doesn't look like Iron Man, and I thought their presence on Earth was appropriately explained. I like that there were stakes and some of them even died. When was the last time THAT happened? Ultron? People are afraid of what they don't know, and what they don't know is Marvel just created another brand new Eternals trilogy.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    From Letterboxd:

Eternals may be a fantasy epic packed with weighty ideas that ask questions about human nature as well as the nature of gods, but the power of said themes as well as the affecting humanity on display between its characters leaves nothing for audiences to ponder over, as they’re made palatable for general audiences by a repetitive script that’s wall-to-wall with expository dialogue, and Marvel’s trademark sense of humor that annoyingly distracts from the power of director Chloe Zhao’s images, and the cosmic stakes at play in the narrative. On that note, Kumail Nanjiani is a very funny actor, but he was clearly brought on to be the comic relief, because everything with him feels like it belongs in a different movie. Even the action sequences are hit-and-miss, with some working thanks to the special effects, while others are difficult to follow because they take place in scenes so dark, it’s hard to discern what’s going on. The actors do well with what they’re given, especially Gemma Chan and Richard Madden, who are strong visual actors with their facial expressions, Ramin Djawadi’s score is great, and as mentioned, Zhao brings a beautiful, transcendental eye to the shot compositions as the Eternals themselves ruminate over their personal desires, predicaments and purposes. Points for ambition, but the latest film in the MCU leaves a lot to be desired in the end.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    and Marvel’s trademark sense of humor that annoyingly distracts from the power of director Chloe Zhao’s images,
    This is a new one.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Just too many characters introduced at once with the traditional route of audience engagement with them, so the development of their backstories and interpersonal relationships are spread way too thin. It's further compounded by the film, rather than being a true ensemble show, choosing the least interesting coupling of them all to be the emotional lynchpin of story and climax. Druig/Makkari has been deservedly singled out, but Thena/Gilgamesh is especially an unconventional arrangement that makes the tantalizingly brief and rich glimpses of them become a missed opportunity.

Still, even with that big hindrance, I ultimately like this because of Zhao's broader scope, with a real interest in these characters' soulful conflicts and morality. Plus, this is the MCU film with most tangible look in quite some time, which helps add to the world stakes, and has fight scenes (surprisingly more stellar than I expect) come off with real impact, with their least fake-looking climax in a long, long while. Because I'm into all their Avengers films (even if liking Infinity War a tad less than most), I just realize this is the studio's first non-Avengers film I find genuinely solid since Ant-Man and the Wasp way back in 2018. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

My wife watched this with a friend, so I dodged this bullet. But I promise I will watch it if I like Zhao's earlier movies (I haven't seen any of them). I'm going to pick and choose Marvel movies from here on out based on the director. I'll probably go and see Dr. Strange 2 for Raimi and will definitely see Thor 4 for Waititi. I don't think there are any other interesting directors in the pipeline?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    My wife watched this with a friend, so I dodged this bullet. But I promise I will watch it if I like Zhao's earlier movies (I haven't seen any of them). I'm going to pick and choose Marvel movies from here on out based on the director. I'll probably go and see Dr. Strange 2 for Raimi and will definitely see Thor 4 for Waititi. I don't think there are any other interesting directors in the pipeline?
    I must have missed this announcement but Nia DaCosta is directing a Marvels film. She's going to be youngest director of an MCU film at 32.

I can't exactly pin point why but despite some fine visuals (particularly during the period scenes) this whole thing left me cold. The characters and even the conflict reminded me strongly of Inhumans and even though I can say it's an interesting world and one I wasn't familiar with from the comics for a change, I'm already forgetting most of it. This particularly stood out for me during the scene where Hayek and Jolie's characters engage each other - it's dumbfounding that two of the greatest female movie stars of the last 25 years clash together and the scene itself is so bland. I was more engaged by Kit Harrington's post-credits tease than anything else, although I was left wondering how the MCU as a whole gets affected by a giant-ass hand and half a head suddenly appearing on the ocean out of nowhere.

I do give it points for Batman and Superman jokes.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-31-2022 at 12:18 PM.

I think you would hate this film. I certainly didn't care for it.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Oh yeah this movie was the biggest bunch of meh ever and wasted a good cast. It's not the worst MCU movie that title is shared by The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Oh yeah this movie was the biggest bunch of meh ever and wasted a good cast. It's not the worst MCU movie that title is shared by The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2.
    I'll take both those over Eternals.

Thor 2 had it's moments, sure. Hulk the more I think about it the more I find it to be a hugely forgettable movie that made for an also forgettable movie theater experience, too. Then again I like the 2003 Hulk soooo....
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'll take both those over Eternals.
    Me too. Flawed > Boring

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Me too. Flawed > Boring
    Agreed. And how damn long was that Eternals movie? Granted I had the flu and started it at like midnight, but it felt...ETERNAL. *curtsey*

I think you would hate this film. I certainly didn't care for it.
    I never did see Dr. Strange 2. Maybe on Disney+ at some stage.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I never did see Dr. Strange 2. Maybe on Disney+ at some stage.
    That was wonderful by comparison. Also, mid tier mcu.

For the nays in this thread, gun to your head, could you name ONE character in this film?

I haven't seen it, but isn't there some Egyptian type name like Osiris or Nefertiti?

For the nays in this thread, gun to your head, could you name ONE character in this film?
    Nope I forgot them all LOL.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Sprite, Sersi

Quote Quoting Mal (view post)
    Sprite, Sersi
    Better than me