Thread: Squid Game

Squid Game

Korean ISP sues Netflix because Squid Game is too popular.

So... it's red light green light meets Battle Royale? Sounds dumb enough I may actually sample an episode (given it's 30 mins or less).

Interesting to see some outside information about the popularity of a Netflix show.

Ever since reading about their metrics for viewership, I really don't pay any mind to any claims of a show's popularity when the information is coming directly from Netflix.

"3 billion people watched 2 minutes of this! IT'S OUR BIGGEST HIT EVAH!!"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    So... it's red light green light meets Battle Royale? Sounds dumb enough I may actually sample an episode (given it's 30 mins or less).
    Well, RLGL is only the first game of six. It's more similar to As the Gods Will than Battle Royale. The episodes are all about an hour in length however

Anyway, I've seen 7 of the 9 so far and I like it. Nothing earth-shattering, but it doesn't get too formulaic and it manages to be quite emotional at times.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's more similar to As the Gods Will than Battle Royale. The episodes are all about an hour in length however
    Wasn't familiar with that one, but yeah the plot synopsis makes it seem very similar. And thanks for giving me an excuse (length) to not watch this.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This is becoming the most watched foreign language program on Netflix?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is becoming the most watched foreign language program on Netflix?
    Sounds like it. I've had multiple people tell me about this that are outside of this and Film Twitter, which is usually a big sign.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The [] episode is straight up phenomenal. Looking forward to last few episodes.

Premise is quite familiar, but the whole thing is elevated by some terrific characters and acting.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Well I may have spoken too soon. That incredible episode was followed by one with some seriously cringe, low-rent [
    ] nonsense. The "game" itself was nearly enough to save it tho.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

First episode and it's the best "first episode" of a show that I can think of in quite some time. Like Lost/Breaking Bad first episode tier.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Well I may have spoken too soon. That incredible episode was followed by one with some seriously cringe, low-rent [
    ] nonsense. The "game" itself was nearly enough to save it tho.
    The Korean film industry still has no idea how to cast, coach, or write for foreign actors.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Producer
    Asian film industry in general, actually. I don't know if it's the language barrier of script/direction, or the lack of proper acting pool to choose from, but it's gotten to the point where I brace for it whenever a western foreigner appear in Thai series/soaps/films. To give a recent Thai example that people here might have the most chance to see, think the exam instructor in Bad Genius.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Asian film industry in general, actually. I don't know if it's the language barrier of script/direction, or the lack of proper acting pool to choose from, but it's gotten to the point where I brace for it whenever a western foreigner appear in Thai series/soaps/films. To give a recent Thai example that people here might have the most chance to see, think the exam instructor in Bad Genius.
    This post over at Reddit explains it pretty damn well, I think, for the Korean context at least.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Seems like there should be far less excuse for poor acting from English actors with Netflix now being part of the production, as they were for Squid Game, and having the resources available to pay actors, additional writers, an on-site English language director, etc. That episode was terrible.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Five episodes in...

thoughts.

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sixth episode.

That's a "Pine Barrens"-level all -time episode I think. Works totally on its own, but also likely the best episode of the season... Incredibly tragic, suspenseful... beginning to end. Wow.

The seventh episode might be a weak spot though. For reasons listed above. The writing for those actors was so bad that I don't think anyone could get around it. Great idea for a game though...

Still don't see us seeing a final game... But two to go!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Episode 6 is the high point in the series....but [do not read this spoiler until after you see the last episode!!!!!] [
    ]
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Prediction for ending...

[
    ]

Kind of hope I'm wrong, but seems like the writer-ly thing to do.

Will find out tonight.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Episode 8 -

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Final episode:

Thanks trans for making sure I saw final episode.

[
    ]

Maybe the most I've "been into" a show since the height of Game of Thrones.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    This post over at Reddit explains it pretty damn well, I think, for the Korean context at least.
    As does this video IGN just posted:

Finished the series. Agreed with trans about the man in finale, but overall still a very strong show.

I keep seeing people saying the show suggests [
    ], but I never saw any evidence of that. I think a sequel series could be fun, tho I dunno how they'd pull it off.

--Homer

Finished the series. Agreed with trans about the man in finale, but overall still a very strong show.

], but I never saw any evidence of that. I think a sequel series could be fun, tho I dunno how they'd pull it off.
    I could understand that thought, but didn't see anything that suggested that either.

I feel like the sequel would solely focus on taking down the game itself, which probably opens it up to a much bigger world after the fact. The only way that 456 would be able to get anywhere close at this point is probably by becoming a VIP, which, all eyes are on him, so...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    If broad and derivative of some past genre predecessors, at least it makes some smart moves in the overall arc (like moving back in the second episode to allow viewers to see how this game exists within the show's version of reality, and having a parallel, if a bit dumb, infiltration subplot), plus the games are genuinely suspenseful, riveting stuff. So good are they that even the emerging of those already infamous, terrible VIPs doesn't entirely derail that episode, since its game is among the show's best. And the sixth marble one is as great as advertised. Unfortunately the show saves its weakest episode for the finale, but easy to see why this strikes that lightning-in-a-bottle cultural phenomenon.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    ], but I never saw any evidence of that.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I could understand that thought, but didn't see anything that suggested that either.
    I think it came from those VIPs saying (when first arrived) something along the line of South Korean's version of Squid Game being the best?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5