Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, 2021)

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Now, from the other perspective, I do bemoan remakes, spin-offs, the 1 trillionth MCU crossover event if it means that fewer decent original films are going to be made in the future. But to my mind, that is a separate conversation.
    I agree, separate conversation. As is recuts, because that is physically altering the original version...in my mind, that's wholly different than what we were discussing in remakes. The remakes we were discussing were entirely different entities from the original, that is something that can be compartmentalized. Alterations such as Irish mentioned are different animal altogether.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I dunno. I think this shit should be widely available to anyone at anytime, because that's better for everyone. (I mean, libraries, right?)

We shouldn't be required to hoard dead formats just to ensure access to old movies. (For one, that option isn't available to everyone. For two, it isn't a viable solution longer term. For three, it quickly becomes flat out crazy.)
    This is true; I guess I fundamentally disagree with the premise that a remake will specifically block the original from being streamed; to me, it is more of a problem with a loss of rights/a loss of interest in presenting older films in general. One of the weakest things about Netflix is their complete lack of interest in older films. I agree that is a problem. But I don't think that is the same thing as believing their upcoming remake (sequel? who knows) of Texas Chain Saw Massacre is what will eventually prevent the original from being streamed/cared about. The problem is more general than that. And being angry at the TCSM remake would be misdirected as a result.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64