Thread: Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, 2021)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    - - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But, from my perspective, it doesn't matter to me whether The Wild Bunch gets streamed or not. It has been made, I own it, I can watch it whenever I want. In that context, whether there is a remake or not makes no difference to me. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the film one bit. If future generations prefer to talk about the new True Grit....so what, really? Is it fundamentally any different from people talking more about Free Guy today than they are about, say, The Truman Show? Eventually, as with all movies forever, the one that stands the test of time will last out; on an individual level, we still get to watch and love the one we prefer until we shuffle off into the beyond.
    I dunno. I think this shit should be widely available to anyone at anytime, because that's better for everyone. (I mean, libraries, right?)

We shouldn't be required to hoard dead formats just to ensure access to old movies. (For one, that option isn't available to everyone. For two, it isn't a viable solution longer term. For three, it quickly becomes flat out crazy.)

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    If I was talking about recuts/director's cuts, you may have a point. But I expressly wasn't. And neither was Stu.
    Yeah, I added to the existing argument. I'm saying recuts are often functionally the same as remakes. The difference between versions of "Blade Runner" and "Alien 3" are probably the best examples of this.

I mentioned it because a couple of years ago, I tried like hell to find the "Alien 3" theatrical cut online and couldn't. Not even in bootleg form. I don't care enough about the movie to want to own it and keep it forever, but I did want to see it again, and the fact that it went MIA troubled me.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I dunno. I think this shit should be widely available to anyone at anytime, because that's better for everyone. (I mean, libraries, right?)

We shouldn't be required to hoard dead formats just to ensure access to old movies. (For one, that option isn't available to everyone. For two, it isn't a viable solution longer term. For three, it quickly becomes flat out crazy.)
    This is true; I guess I fundamentally disagree with the premise that a remake will specifically block the original from being streamed; to me, it is more of a problem with a loss of rights/a loss of interest in presenting older films in general. One of the weakest things about Netflix is their complete lack of interest in older films. I agree that is a problem. But I don't think that is the same thing as believing their upcoming remake (sequel? who knows) of Texas Chain Saw Massacre is what will eventually prevent the original from being streamed/cared about. The problem is more general than that. And being angry at the TCSM remake would be misdirected as a result.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64