Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, 2021)

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, 2021)

So far so good!

Well, it certainly looks nearly identical to the anime so far, but so what? I mean, the original was already as close as possible to being perfect in capturing that particular story, so what's the point in just doing a live-action trace job? I mean, even Wantanabe himself couldn't come close to recapturing the same magic with the movie, so I definitely can't get very excited for this one; I'd much rather they just use the energy for a new story, instead of Hollywood just taking yet another exploitable IP, and whoring it out just like the rest.

I can't disagree with you if that's what you want. It just could be a whole lot worse. Whitewashed, American boy band theme song...you know the drill...

I’m with Stu on this. It’s unclear to me if/how this is different than the Disney live action remakes.

I cannot argue.

I don't think it will be identical at all. The opening is iconic, and there are shots that are so perfect in several episodes that I'm sure most would riot if they were omitted but it seems that they will change things up a bit throughout.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I don't think it will be identical at all. The opening is iconic, and there are shots that are so perfect in several episodes that I'm sure most would riot if they were omitted but it seems that they will change things up a bit throughout.
    It's obviously not going to be 100% "identical" to the original, but it sure looks as close as possible from this video:

I mean, they're supposed to be doing ten episodes in total for this remake, and assuming this video is accurate, it looks like they'll be doing "Asteroid Blues", "Gateway Shuffle", "Ballad Of Fallen Angels", "Jupiter Jazz", "Mushroom Samba", "Pierrot le Fou", "Boogie Woogie Feng Shui", "Cowboy Funk", and "Brain Scratch". And, I have to assume that they'll be doing "The Real Folk Blues" for the finale, so that's all ten episodes right there. Plus, every ep is supposed to be a full hour long, so as far as I can guess, that means they're either going to cram two eps of the anime together into a multi-part episode (and they're just keeping the identities of the other eps they're adapting a secret at the moment), or they're just going to pad out the original stories out to be twice as long, so again I must ask, what on Mars is the point? Why spend this much time and energy creating something that will never, ever be as good as what it's remaking?

Because a great many people will never watch an animated show?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Because a great many people will never watch an animated show?
    That's their loss, though, and I see little reason why I should be interested in what will almost certainly be an inferior rehash just so Netflix can pander to some aniphobes, when that time and energy could go to something more worthwhile instead.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    The lack of Ed probably means they are saving them for later or whatever, I hope. If they get rid of that character I'm gonna be pretty mad.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    The lack of Ed probably means they are saving them for later or whatever, I hope. If they get rid of that character I'm gonna be pretty mad.
    I agree with everything said. There was a tiny slice of the trailer that made me think it was a hint to Ed...0:48 seconds.

Google image "cowboy bebop ed remote", theres a bunch of pictures of controllers and stuff.

No idea what the fuck is this is supposed to be exactly, but whatever:

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    No idea what the fuck is this is supposed to be exactly, but whatever:

Why did they film it like a 70s action TV show and make it with the same frames as a comic book and have dialog from an Edgar Wright movie?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Why did they film it like a 70s action TV show and make it with the same frames as a comic book and have dialog from an Edgar Wright movie?
    Because Netflix apparently has little idea how to market this thing besides forcing it to be "hip", like actually having Spike say "What in the actual fuck?" here:

Joblo gave it a 9/10. *shrug* We will see...

Joblo gave it a 9/10. *shrug* We will see...
    That seems like an outlier compared to the other critics though, since the show overall is sitting at a meh 5.5 critical average over on RT at the moment...

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Really don't get the hate people have for that clip when that’s exactly how Ed would look in live action. That said, she was going to go either way with audiences no matter what, but this looks faithful enough to the anime for me to not have an issue.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Seems the people that hate Ed in the anime have same reaction to live action.

Seems the people that hate Ed in the anime have same reaction to live action.
    I loved Ed in the Anime, but I disliked him in this clip because what worked in animated form can easily become obnoxious in live-action, and this is definitely one of those instances they should've done something besides just automatically doing a 1:1 translation.

I finished it today, and this was far from a 1:1 translation.

I finished it today, and this was far from a 1:1 translation.
    I don't think I'm going to even watch it, because I don't want to unintentionally encourage Netflix to make any more of it...

[
    ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast