Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, 2021)

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I don't think I'm going to even watch it, because I don't want to unintentionally encourage Netflix to make any more of it...

[
    ]
    In a good way. It kept the spirit of each of the characters, expanded heavily on backstories, and really only recreated an episode or two of the original show. It touched on several of the fan favorite plots without just straight remaking them. In the anime Vicious was in, what, 3 of almost 30 episodes? He's in damn near every one here, for better or worse, up to the viewer, but this show was definitely not a straight through remake, imo.

Spike and Jet and Faye were so well cast, I absolutely want more.

Also, I'm not trying to sell it to you. I doubt you would like it. I'm only saying it's not an attempted shot for shot remake.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    In a good way. It kept the spirit of each of the characters, expanded heavily on backstories, and really only recreated an episode or two of the original show. It touched on several of the fan favorite plots without just straight remaking them. In the anime Vicious was in, what, 3 of almost 30 episodes? He's in damn near every one here, for better or worse, up to the viewer, but this show was definitely not a straight through remake, imo.

Spike and Jet and Faye were so well cast, I absolutely want more.
    I had a friend tell me it felt like an original idea but with the Cowboy Bebop name cynically slapped on it because people want to see IP they're familiar with. I DO need to see more of the live action version, but from what I've seen of it, there's more effort put into getting the characters right than a certain mouse-eared conglomerate does with its live action remakes.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I can't figure out what you want, Stu. You say it's pointless to remake it if you're just remaking and not adding anything new, then post a video that whines that it's not a straight remake lol

Stu is drunk with hatred!

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I don't like how Ed looks in the life action version currently. I'll get to this at some point amongst the oh 60 other shows I'm also watching haha.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 11-24-2021 at 05:27 AM.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I didn't love live action Ed either. But maybe it's a Fellowship Gollum, and round 2 will improve.

I can't figure out what you want, Stu. You say it's pointless to remake it if you're just remaking and not adding anything new, then post a video that whines that it's not a straight remake lol
    It's not a contradiction for me to have not been interested in this Bebop back when it looked like a beat-for-beat remake, while also thinking that these changes sound like bad ideas. I mean, how can any Bebopper not think that the characters calling him "Fearless" instead of Spike sounds like an incredibly stupid, pointless change?

They do call him Spike. He changed his name when he left the Syndicate. So?

They do call him Spike. He changed his name when he left the Syndicate. So?
    Wait, so his real name in the Netflix version was actually "Fearless", and his nickname is Spike? Geez, that's even stupider!

Viewership underwhelming, not renewed.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Viewership underwhelming, not renewed.

Celebrating any show being cancelled is so bizarre to me.

Stu is celebrating his successful smear campaign.

Stu is celebrating hundreds of people losing a job.

Stu is celebrating making some piece of media so important to his life that any other attempt to approach that media by others in any way that does not match his standards represents a personal attack.

I'm only half joking; I will never really understand how anyone can get so wound up about someone remaking or reimagining or spinning something off something you love. No matter what anyone else does, the original thing that you loved is still there. What is there to get angry about? The Wild Bunch is my favorite movie of all time. How many fucks do I give about the proposed remake? Zero. If it is good, I will watch it, if it isn't, I won't. The original is still there, being awesome.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Once I had that realization (back in the RT days), I never was bothered by remakes again. Besides, occasionally they turn out either decent or an interesting reinterpretation.

And sure, sometimes they're Point Break. But you know what? I laughed at it, and moved on. Original Point Break didn't change. It's still awesome. Heck, the remake could be a useful tool as film study to show how doing pretty much the opposite of everything of the heart of the original is a bad idea.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I've seen as many bad sequels as I have remakes. At least I feel so anyways. It happens.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    No matter what anyone else does, the original thing that you loved is still there.

- - - - -
    Stu's expression may be a little off, but he's got the right spirit. I think you guys are dunking on him just to dunk.

I have zero attachment to the original "Bebop" (it was cool 20 years ago, but c'mon) and I could only make it through about 10 minutes of the live action remake. The visuals were sorta aesthetically vulgar, and the whole exercise felt extremely cynical in the worst way. So good riddance to bad rubbish and all that.

I disagree with trans on a fundamental point, though, because I think remakes and recuts can occasionally supplant their original sources.

Cf: "Scarface," "The Maltese Falcon," "The Magnificent Seven," "A Fistful of Dollars," "Oceans 11," "The Thomas Crowne Affair," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Heaven Can Wait," "The Thing," "Cape Fear," "The Birdcage," "Insomnia," "The Departed," "The Hills Have Eyes," "True Grit."

Then there's "Star Wars" special editions and various "director's cuts." Cf: "Blade Runner," "Terminator 2: Judgement Day," and the entire "Alien" franchise, etc. Some of these recuts are radically different than their sources, but they still become the de facto version in the popular imagination. Theatrical cuts are then relegated to the status of second disc extras in "ultimate" edition box sets, if they're commercially available at all.

Sure, the original films may still technically exist somewhere, but they're not part of the cultural conversation in a meaningful way. Like, I see someone talking on social media about "True Grit," I already know they're not talking about John Wayne. Someone else talks about "Blade Runner," and it's a good guess they've never heard Harrison Ford's shitty voiceover. This matters because without public interest there will be less incentive for streaming companies to host those original films and original cuts.

If you love older work, this system --- that only values what's newest and what's still commercial --- really sucks.
    Last edited by Irish; 12-11-2021 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I disagree with trans on a fundamental point, though, because I think remakes and recuts can occasionally supplant their original sources.

Cf: "Scarface," "The Maltese Falcon," "The Magnificent Seven," "A Fistful of Dollars," "Oceans 11," "The Thomas Crowne Affair," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Heaven Can Wait," "The Thing," "Cape Fear," "The Birdcage," "Insomnia," "The Departed," "The Hills Have Eyes," "True Grit."

Then there's "Star Wars" special editions and various "director's cuts." Cf: "Blade Runner," "Terminator 2: Judgement Day," and the entire "Alien" franchise, etc. Some of these recuts are radically different than their sources. The originals are then relegated to the status of second disc extras in "ultimate" edition box sets, if they're commercially available at all.

Sure, the originals still technically exist somewhere, but they're not part of the cultural conversation in a meaningful way. Like, I see someone talking on social media about "True Grit," I already know they're not talking about John Wayne. This matters because without public interest there will be less incentive for streaming companies to host those original films.

If you love older work, this system --- that only values what's newest and what's still commercial --- really sucks.
    But, from my perspective, it doesn't matter to me whether The Wild Bunch gets streamed or not. It has been made, I own it, I can watch it whenever I want. In that context, whether there is a remake or not makes no difference to me. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the film one bit. If future generations prefer to talk about the new True Grit....so what, really? Is it fundamentally any different from people talking more about Free Guy today than they are about, say, The Truman Show? Eventually, as with all movies forever, the one that stands the test of time will last out; on an individual level, we still get to watch and love the one we prefer until we shuffle off into the beyond.

Now, from the other perspective, I do bemoan remakes, spin-offs, the 1 trillionth MCU crossover event if it means that fewer decent original films are going to be made in the future. But to my mind, that is a separate conversation.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    If I was talking about recuts/director's cuts, you may have a point. But I expressly wasn't. And neither was Stu. Original Star Wars forever, by the way!
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    But, from my perspective, it doesn't matter to me whether The Wild Bunch gets streamed or not. It has been made, I own it, I can watch it whenever I want. In that context, whether there is a remake or not makes no difference to me. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the film one bit. If future generations prefer to talk about the new True Grit....so what, really? Is it fundamentally any different from people talking more about Free Guy today than they are about, say, The Truman Show? Eventually, as with all movies forever, the one that stands the test of time will last out; on an individual level, we still get to watch and love the one we prefer until we shuffle off into the beyond.
    I dunno. I think this shit should be widely available to anyone at anytime, because that's better for everyone. (I mean, libraries, right?)

We shouldn't be required to hoard dead formats just to ensure access to old movies. (For one, that option isn't available to everyone. For two, it isn't a viable solution longer term. For three, it quickly becomes flat out crazy.)

If I was talking about recuts/director's cuts, you may have a point. But I expressly wasn't. And neither was Stu.
    Yeah, I added to the existing argument. I'm saying recuts are often functionally the same as remakes. The difference between versions of "Blade Runner" and "Alien 3" are probably the best examples of this.

I mentioned it because a couple of years ago, I tried like hell to find the "Alien 3" theatrical cut online and couldn't. Not even in bootleg form. I don't care enough about the movie to want to own it and keep it forever, but I did want to see it again, and the fact that it went MIA troubled me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast