14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 71.43%
  • Nay

4 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malignant (James Wan)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Dude. I'm the king of nitpicks, but this takes it to another level. First, this is almost exactly what happened in the Ring, which is universally praised. And second, you're questioning THIS when the main premise is [
    ]
    First, I think The Ring is just OK and second I still got a point so I'm allowed to bring it up right.

It's unclear to me why a kinda out there premise would be a carte blanche for other aspects of the movie to be kinda implausible.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Not gonna lie, I did notice the drive up to the building was day and when she got there it was night. And to uber-nit pick...she parked about 6 inches from the edge of a cliff
    Yeh there' may have been some editing to post that skips a fake out scare at that point. I noticed that too.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    First, I think The Ring is just OK and second I still got a point so I'm allowed to bring it up right.

It's unclear to me why a kinda out there premise would be a carte blanche for other aspects of the movie to be kinda implausible.
    I'm just saying this is the kind of complaint akin to hating Star Wars Episode 2 because there's no sound in space; so spaceships shouldn't make noise when they pass by the camera.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm just saying this is the kind of complaint akin to hating Star Wars Episode 2 because there's no sound in space; so spaceships shouldn't make noise when they pass by the camera.
    It's not, her visiting the insane asylum by her own and finding the necessary files real fast even though she's never been there directly impacts the plot itself therefore to me it's a bit more of an issue than the SW example you brought up. I really don't think it's in the same ballpark.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

It's not, her visiting the insane asylum by her own and finding the necessary files real fast even though she's never been there directly impacts the plot itself therefore to me it's a bit more of an issue than the SW example you brought up. I really don't think it's in the same ballpark.
    I know you don't think it is' the same ballpark, but it is.

It’s like someone complaining about how the Anderson Wheeler 500 Nitro Express double rifle (IE Elephant gun) had zero recoil in Skyfall.

My only complaint, other than a slight cry when he just throws away a 25k rifle.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    It’s like someone complaining about how the Anderson Wheeler 500 Nitro Express double rifle (IE Elephant gun) had zero recoil in Skyfall.

My only complaint, other than a slight cry when he just throws away a 25k rifle.
    I know we're derailing here, but Hollywood really needs to get the memo about the reality of pistol suppressors. Every. Time. It irritates me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I know we're derailing here, but Hollywood really needs to get the memo about the reality of pistol suppressors. Every. Time. It irritates me.
    Unless they’re using 45 ACP, then they’d be rather quiet since it’s a subsonic round. With that said, the pistol shots at the end of the Bourne Identity were pretty close.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I know you don't think it is' the same ballpark, but it is.
    I wasn't convinced by the movie's plotting in that instance for reasons already explained. I don't think anyone's ever complained about sloppy plotting when talking about scenes in space not being devoid of sound. It'd be mighty boring if all we ever got was total silence.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I wasn't convinced by the movie's plotting in that instance for reasons already explained. I don't think anyone's ever complained about sloppy plotting when talking about scenes in space not being devoid of sound. It'd be mighty boring if all we ever got was total silence.
    Seemed to work OK for 2001.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    That was insane. I'm not sure if it was good, great or just so bad it was good, but it will definitely stick in my brain for the next couple of days. Glad I saw this on the big screen.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm not one to praise a movie for being "so bad it's good" but in this case... it's so skillfully made in the last 30-40 minutes, that I cannot ignore that there's an enjoyment out of this.

It's just that it takes well over an hour to get there, and features some of the worst acting I've seen this year.

But it's funny that someone mentioned that park to the cliff's edge... because that's literally when the movie starts to get good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah we kind of loved this.

Not without its faults (nu metal musical score was awful), but it is so original, insane, and committed to its craziness.

Feels like a love letter to Argento and Fulci.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I just crack up thinking Wan was at home watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on TV and he just went "hey, we can do this, but body horror" - with some giallo and ghost movie thrown into the mix. I personally thought it was cool as fuck, I don't mind a throwback to the '80s Horror movies with proper character development and out there concepts. And Wan has grown exponentially as a filmmaker. I look forward to anything new he does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12