• Yes.

13 100.00%
  • No.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Suicide Squad (2021)

The Suicide Squad (2021)

What say you, MC?

I say yes! I liked it. I don't think its the mind-melting masterpiece that a lot of the 'net seems to be falling all over themselves about, but fun romp. I'll take a movie committed to its vision (even if it has misteps) than a super-safe bland Black Widow.
    Last edited by Skitch; 08-07-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Producer
    Is there a significant amount of people claiming it masterpiece? I see mostly just that it's a huge step up from Ayer's film. Although yeah putting it next to the awful original I can see how this can look borderline like one lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Is there a significant amount of people claiming it masterpiece? I see mostly just that it's a huge step up from Ayer's film. Although yeah putting it next to the awful original I can see how this can look borderline like one lol.
    Rotten Tomatoes critics 92%, audience 87%, thats pretty high up there.

Producer
    Lol RT overall score's usage happens to be one of my slight pet peeves (mostly from how people often use that to gloat metacritic as superior to it). It's more how many critics are for the film, rather than how much. The latter (the degree to which, not the amount of, critics liking a film) is where average rating comes in: this one has all critics as 7.7 and top critics as 7.2, which is about the level of you and I, I think. The audience's one is par for the course for even a halfway ok superhero film (even Black Widow, which I agree about the blandness, gets 92%), although I'm curious where it settles down over the next few days.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Lol RT overall score's usage happens to be one of my slight pet peeves
    You're preaching to the choir, friend, but my only other option to answer your question would be to post reviews from random people online that wouldn't amount to much. I was mostly referring to my general feed of social interaction.

A very entertaining movie. Compared to its predecessor, it’s a flipping masterpiece.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Gunn is a one-trick pony, but it's a better trick than most superhero movies manage. The ultraviolence for a laugh gets wearying after a while, but at least Gunn has some memorable ideas/images. Question though: [
    ]
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Gunn is a one-trick pony, but it's a better trick than most superhero movies manage. The ultraviolence for a laugh gets wearying after a while, but at least Gunn has some memorable ideas/images. Question though: [
    ]
    I don't think they knew what they were dealing with. Evidenced by [
    ]

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Scar beat me to the punch with the King Shark avatar. Oh well. I'll probably see this next weekend.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

This is utterly delightful.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This is also the best Jaws sequel.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Producer
    Still slightly prefer the first GotG for now, but watching this I can't help but feel this is such a perfect universe for Gunn to play around as director that one is tempted to see him switch studio for good. He piles in on the cartoonish gore to his pre-superhero level and ups his prankish comedy (the first 20 minutes work as both a great dark joke and a way to instill some rare sense of danger for this genre, not to mention having a film live up to this name for once) while maintaining a signature softie throughline. The last aspect is slighter than his MCU films, but feels more pronounced with both sides in the villains of their mission and Viola Davis' handler being equally ruthless, which makes the climatic stretch unexpectedly and sneakily affecting in spots. Speaking of, even the requisite "go bigger" final superhero fight here is done by Gunn with such delightfully bizarre execution, on both choreographic and especially visual fronts. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

A yes for me although I could have done without [
    ]. Part of a men on a mission movie is the banter going back and forth, but that they stick together despite perhaps not quite liking each other. I kinda felt this didn't work in the movie's favor although it's not that big of a deal. Some of the violence is so over the top that it's funny, other times it's brutally realistic, but felt a bit odd in such a goofy flick.

If anything, I was dissapointed that some of the 'heroes' from the opening gambit [
    ] That critter made me laugh the most in fact.

Maybe he'll be back.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I had a helluva' good time with this. It's both as smart and dumb as it needs to be. The acting was great all around, the action scenes were genuinely exhilarating, and of course the script was funny as hell. I'd say this is the funniest comic book movie since Thor: Ragnarock and is probably funnier. It doesn't stray far from the Gunn formula, but it shows how strong the formula is, given that he changed a mediocre film into by far the best DC movie. ***.5/5
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Shallow as hell movie that is gory, violent, quite funny and mostly entertaining. I love King Shark but the whole cast was great, too. Part of my good rating for this movie is that it helped me forget the awful original movie. The commentary on US imperialism was humorous and kind of bleak which was refreshing.

PS: I think this was a quasi sequel since Quinn and Flagg seemed to know each other really well in the beginning. It makes sense to me.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 08-20-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

My most annoying this about this movie is the title. Just call it Suicide Squad 2, literally no one gives a shit. Needs no further explaining of connection between entries.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Man I'm the only one that thinks Idris Elba was completely miscast? He held down the comedy big time.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Man I'm the only one that thinks Idris Elba was completely miscast? He held down the comedy big time.
    I didn't think so. I thought he had funny lines. Check out The Take from 2016 (on Netflix), he whips ass in that flick.

Edit: I guess its alt title is Bastille Day.
    Last edited by Skitch; 08-20-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I liked his banter with Peacemaker so I can't say I agree. Then again I'm heavily biased as I'm a huge fan of his. Can't wait to see him in that Netflix western.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Elba was a perfect straight man. Casting was spot on. Better than Smith who was just boring.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Elba was a perfect straight man. Casting was spot on. Better than Smith who was just boring.
    I concur.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I prefer Smith.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    My most annoying this about this movie is the title. Just call it Suicide Squad 2, literally no one gives a shit. Needs no further explaining of connection between entries.
    Two-icide Squad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast