Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Madness 3: Best of the 00s

Madness.

Paprika and Primer should both be in.

I didn't understand the plot of Primer or Paprika, but I liked the former (and would happily watch it again) and was bored to distraction by the latter. The difference, I think, is that Carruth's film isn't really about its plot but tone and atmosphere (the dialogue is more overheard than heard), whereas Paprika is about pop-surrealist imagery in search of a structure.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Carruth's film isn't really about its plot but tone and atmosphere (the dialogue is more overheard than heard), whereas Paprika is about pop-surrealist imagery in search of a structure.
    Yeah thats why they're both great and unique and belong in the game. Both films are well aware of these facts and its part of the film(s) intentionally.

Any opinions on Anchorman? I think that's the only film here I haven't seen, maybe I should see it?

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Any opinions on Anchorman? I think that's the only film here I haven't seen, maybe I should see it?
    I think it may Will Ferrells best...its quite funny. And I find most of his comedies near intolerable. I recently watched his Nascar movie and I didnt even smile once. Horrible.

So how are the initial movies selected? I just watched Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy for the first time and I found it very uneven so...

Tropic Thunder to replace Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

surely, the former has some cult following here in Match Cut! The Jack Black cameo is one the best parts of Anchorman yet here in TT he has a full complete hilarious role.

Anchorman sucks. Replace it with anything.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I would replacing anchorman with something else...I don't think Tropic Thunder is an upgrade so much as a lateral move, but I don't care...

Is Zoolander in yet? That should replace Anchorman.

Too bad Kung Fu Hustle only has 86k views, which seems suspicious considering it reportedly grossed 173 million yuan at the Chinese box office. Even more suspicious is that Wolf Warrior 2--which earned 5.6 billion yuan domestically--only has 3k views on Letterboxd, while Dangal (currently the top earning Bollywood film of all time) has just 29k views--only slightly more than Wendy and Lucy.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    Is Zoolander in yet? That should replace Anchorman.
    Not enough views! I'd vote Tropic Thunder over several of the films in this madness.

I want Paprika in. But also Jesse James.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think this is allowed:

Monsters, Inc. to replace Anchorman.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Tropic Thunder to replace Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
    + MC doesn't seem to care for Anchorman
    - Otherwise seems like a lateral move
    = Anchorman is out! Tropic Thunder is in!

You have now reached the max of three replacements, and can block some else's swap or gain an extra Round 1 vote.

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    I think this is allowed:

Monsters, Inc. to replace Anchorman.
    Technically it would be allowed, but Yxklyx got to Anchorman first and even still you'd have some big negatives (just fyi in case you feel like making another attempt, which you totally should): Monsters, Inc. (841k) is several orders of magnitude more popular than Anchorman (293k), and Pixar already has four movies in the tournament (Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Finding Nemo).

With 14 of 32 movies having been replaced, The Play-In Round will now start winding down. I'll give it a day or two, but get those submissions in.

Baby Doll, Peng, Skitch, and Yxklyx have reached the maximum amount of replacements. Ezee E has one left. Anyone else is invited to submit up to three replacements, even all at once.

Similar to Madness 2.0, I will also suggest some replacements of my own. If any one of these receives more support than dissent then it will be locked in. Let your voice be heard!

Mean Girls (630k) > Donnie Darko (603k)
    Moulin Rouge! (228k) > Moon (223k)
    Speed Racer (94k) > 25th Hour (62k)

Maybe some of those are long shots. The 00s Play-In Round has been interesting because it's long enough ago I'm not sure what the MC consensus is, but not so long ago that a general cannon has been accepted en masse (like was arguably the case for the 80s and 90s). And I know 25th Hour received support earlier in the thread, but Speed Racer has to have a chance for MC Madness 3.0 to feel legit, and it doesn't have a chance against Haneke, Almodovar, or Yang.

The 32 movies that are on the bubble, and therefore able to be replaced:
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 08-10-2021 at 06:17 PM.

I'd hate to do it but:

ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES (for reasons listed earlier)
    needs to replace
    CACHE

Why?

Outside of a rather jarring shot in Cache, does anyone remember anything else about this movie? It's also Haneke-light. Piano Teacher or White Ribbon should be his 2000s movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Too bad Kung Fu Hustle only has 86k views, which seems suspicious considering it reportedly grossed 173 million yuan at the Chinese box office. Even more suspicious is that Wolf Warrior 2--which earned 5.6 billion yuan domestically--only has 3k views on Letterboxd, while Dangal (currently the top earning Bollywood film of all time) has just 29k views--only slightly more than Wendy and Lucy.
    It's definitely worth pointing out, but I wouldn't exactly call it suspicious. I can't find current geographical/language stats at the moment, but LB was created in a dominantly English-speaking country, and from my perspective a very large percent of reviews are in English. The types of big-budget Chinese and Indian releases that produce huge box office domestically but not internationally are simply not being seen as much by the types of people who currently use the site.

The biggest shocker to me is Anchorman at only 293k. I would've expected it to be at least twice that much, and I think the reason is related tangentially -- Anchorman isn't the type of film LB users seek out, not due to language and distribution, but due to "taste."

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'd hate to do it but:

needs to replace
    CACHE

Why?

Outside of a rather jarring shot in Cache, does anyone remember anything else about this movie? It's also Haneke-light. Piano Teacher or White Ribbon should be his 2000s movie.
    Totally support this.

I'd hate to do it but:

needs to replace
    CACHE

Why?

This seems good to me. They are pretty close quality wise, but Assassination of Jesse James certainly left more of a lingering impression.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)

Mean Girls (630k) > Donnie Darko (603k)
    I block this, I guess I have one.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 08-09-2021 at 09:54 PM.

needs to replace
    CACHE
    + Jesse James has a small but rabid following, two MCers chimed in with support (Skitch, quido)
    - Michael Haneke is a respected director, Cache is non-English language
    = Cache is out! Jesse James is in!

You have now reached the max of three replacements, and can block some else's swap or gain an extra Round 1 vote.

I like the upset wins...

Do we think History of Violence can make it further or Ghost World?

My own thoughts is that enough people have seen both so should be able to get plenty of voters, but whether or not it can win is a different question.

I feel like more would be supportive of History of Violence, myself included, but want to hear others first....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

History of Violence over Ghost World for me.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast