Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Duel (Scott, 2021)...

The Last Duel (Scott, 2021)...

This plot will go over really well today.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Producer
    Poster:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Between the poster and trailer (I was neutral about this film before, but that well-made trailer has me interested big time), the marketing for this film is doing an excellent job.

The hair/make-up on Damon and Affleck, tho.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    The hair/make-up on Damon and Affleck, tho.
    Ha! One of the first things I said was "whoa...blonde affleck lulz"

Movie looks interesting though. I'd watch it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this will be really pretty, and not much else.

*scans through Scott's filmography again*

Yep.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What the fuck is this?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is a Ridley Scott film?? Why is name so small???

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is a Ridley Scott film?? Why is name so small???
    I thought that was odd initially, too, but then he's had more misses than hits in the last 10-20 years.

The closest he's come to mainstream popularity recently is "The Martian," and that was 6 years ago. Other than that it's been "Alien" prequels nobody enjoyed or lower profile movies nobody saw, such as "All the Money in the World" or "Exodus: Gods and Kings."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/

He peaked in 1982.

I'd like to direct movies at 83 years old.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I love Prometheus.

I adore Prometheus. I loved Gladiator. I liked Alien: Covenant. I loathed Exodus: Gods and Kings.

Prometheus as dumb as all hell but gorgeous and has enough decent (but terribly written) ideas that I enjoy it a decent amount.

Alien: Covenant is kind of terrible, but it's alien so I find it totally watchable.

Other than those he hasn't done anything even worth remembering since Gladiator.

Wasn't a fan of Prometheus, although that wasn't because of Scott's direction, but Lindelof's writing (in other words, it was a very pretty-looking movie that made little sense), since it combined one of the lamer recent industry trends in Hollywood (giving unnecessary backstories to iconic properties) with Damon's personal tendency to set up mysteries he has no plan for resolving, meaning that it's not even good just taken as a backstory for the Alien franchise. I mean, providing a vague backstory for the origin of the Xenomorphs feels like a misunderstanding of the appeal of their ambiguity in the original film, since it's there to provide an additionally unsettling feeling, not to set up an enigma to be resolved at a later date, and Lindelof (and JJ, for that matter) need to understand that randomly setting up "mystery boxes" in their stories without ever opening them doesn't constitute compelling storytelling in and of itself:

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Wasn't a fan of Prometheus, although that wasn't because of Scott's direction, but Lindelof's writing (in other words, it was a very pretty-looking movie that made little sense), since it combined one of the lamer recent industry trends in Hollywood (giving unnecessary backstories to iconic properties) with Damon's personal tendency to set up mysteries he has no plan for resolving, meaning that it's not even good just taken as a backstory for the Alien franchise. I mean, providing a vague backstory for the origin of the Xenomorphs feels like a misunderstanding of the appeal of their ambiguity in the original film, since it's there to provide an additionally unsettling feeling, not to set up an enigma to be resolved at a later date, and Lindelof (and JJ, for that matter) need to understand that randomly setting up "mystery boxes" in their stories without ever opening them doesn't constitute compelling storytelling in and of itself:

There's not really anything in Prometheus that is unresolved though. It's a bad misconception of the film. (Maybe one thing I can think of that I'm not going to reveal because it doesn't help my argument)

I was also frustrated with Prometheus' writing but not due to plot holes / things left open.

The character work was awful and their stupidity took me out of the movie.

It gets even worse in Covenant.

There's not really anything in Prometheus that is unresolved though. It's a bad misconception of the film. (Maybe one thing I can think of that I'm not going to reveal because it doesn't help my argument)
    You're kind of proving my point there, Duke...

: P

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    You're kind of proving my point there, Duke...

: P
    Maybe, but my point was really trying to latch onto the awful hearsay that people stuck to and from there it was like a snowball rolling down the hill. Or the whole running in a straight line argument. Or the whole biologist not interested in biology argument... which is a dumb argument because that's literally every horror movie ever.

Prometheus wasn't perfect, but for me it def fell into a category I call "suddenly audiences are upset at basic things that happen in every movie but blaming this movie as if it doesn't happen in every movie ever".

"Why does that character breathe that way?" So weird.
    "Why didn't character say he may be infected with something?" Why didn't they quarantine in the first Alien? Why does no one in a zombie film mention they got bit?
    "That character makes a bad decision." Have you never seen a horror film? If everyone made smart decisions there would be no films worth watching, ever.
    "Why does that character run in a straight line?" Oh because you associate with the logic of quadtrillionaire's spoiled brat daughter? So you know how their mental state functions in being on an alien planet and running away from a skyscraper coming at you? Most people can't hit the gas at a green light.

Again, I'm not saying Prometheus is a masterpiece or something, but I'll always felt its been held to a different standard for some reason I will never understand.

I can totally see what you mean, Skitch. It's all stuff that many, many movies are guilty of.

A big part of it for me is that I've probably seen the movie 50+ times (not exaggerating) so it just sticks out more for me after that many viewings.

I kinda love the movie in that I find it infinitely watchable. Gorgeous, has a way underappreciated musical score, and tons of great ideas.

And I might even guess that part of what keeps me from thinking it's brilliant is how disappointing Covenant was in both delivering on the mysteries from the first, and standing on its own new ideas.

I know it's unfair to let the second movie tarnish the first, but whatever

No argument on Covenant. I've watched it like 3 times and I still can't dig it. I can't even put my finger on why, I just dont.

- - - - -
    which is a dumb argument because that's literally every horror movie ever.
    This is a bad counter, though, because you're basically arguing that "Prometheus" is just another dumb horror movie, so dumb horror movie tropes should be expected and allowed ... which, okay ... but is that really where anyone wants to set the bar?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This is a bad counter, though, because you're basically arguing that "Prometheus" is just another dumb horror movie, so dumb horror movie tropes should be expected and allowed ... which, okay ... but is that really where anyone wants to set the bar?
    I don't feel like its "the bar", I just feel if its okay for characters to do really stupid shit in the most revered horror movies (Texas Chainsaw, Halloween, Evil Dead, Alien) then why are similar stupid shit a dealbreaker in a Prometheus? Its like these things are overlooked in those movies.

Prometheus is different for me because its well-educated scientists doing things that would be completely against all protocol and knowledge. It's been a bit, but the cobra-looking alien was clearly defensive, and there was zero awareness to it. That sticks out to me as one.

Something else about removing helmets without any type of verification of outside air seems familiar too.

Most horror movie moments are "in the moment" and snap judgments, which is where a lot of the Covenant bad decisions occur.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast