Thread: Inside (Burnham)

Inside (Burnham)

I think this goes here... The trailer above is fine, but if you have Netflix, the preview they provide is much better.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Genuinely hilarious and occasionally profound, Inside is 20 minutes away from being a classic special. Given the gushing reception, it might become a classic anyway; however, much of the material is so reliant upon 2020 that it seems liable to become dated real quick. (Of course, the zeitgeisty aspect is part of what I think appeals to critics and audiences alike). Still, when it hits, it hits hard. I laughed at a good 90% of the jokes and was moved by about 50% of the "darker" material. Speaking of which, I'm conflicted on this aspect of the special. As much as I admire his vulnerability (and can very much relate to some of the things he goes through), it at times felt very off putting. Much like his comedy-style, where it's like: HERE'S THE JOKE! the "darker" material ("suicide" and "language" are the two reasons listed for its rating) can be moving, but also comes off as: HERE'S THE DEPRESSION! On the other hand, it is real and deftly done (for the most part), so it's hard to argue with mental health issues being depicted bluntly, potentially normalizing what is so prevalent, but typically misunderstood, about depression and anxiety.

Regardless of the peaks and valleys, it is just too damn long. There are 20 minutes that could have and should have been cut in order to make it something leaner and less reliant on the present context. At the end of the day, though, the pros outweigh the cons and this is by far my favorite Burnham special. In a weird twist of fate (as he notes at the end), the pandemic may have aided in his coming back to the "stage," as it allowed him to play to all his strengths. It doesn't merit the type of effusive praise it's been getting, but it is very good indeed and I would not hesitate to recommend it.
    Last edited by quido8_5; 06-17-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5