Producer

Loki (Marvel)

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Fun if very table-setting premiere, although I find the world-building and production design of the TVA delightful (love the training cartoon). Hiddleston in MCU films has always impressively made the most of his (comparatively) limited screentime, and now with a full focus he really runs away with it. Worth this series just for his performance alone.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Far and away the best first episode from Marvel Studios thus far.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I thought it terrifically boring. 30 minutes of wall to wall exposition in an intentionally dull setting. Not even Hiddleston's charisma and his obvious joy at playing Loki saved it. They wasted my time and I'm annoyed (again).

Really want these Marvel TV writers to go back and read the comics, because those writers knew how to drop new readers into an established story using nothing more than 4 dialogue balloons and 2 panels. Or, fuck it, no shame, take an Intro to Creative Writing course and learn what in medias res means.

The worst thing to happen to genre fiction was the introduction and embrace of the horrid phrase "table setting" into the vernacular. It excuses too much bad writing, and dumbly requires us to ignore the way the analogy breaks down in obvious ways --- setting the table is not part of the meal and never has been, in any context.

Other pet peeves, because I think the premise here --- "Timecop" meets "Quantum Leap" --- is particularly unimaginative:

- The afterworld as massive bureaucracy. This was an old trope when I first encountered it as a teenager reading dumb fantasy novels, and granted that first time it's ironic and funny. Two dozen instances later, not so much. Culturally, I think this is weird, too. We've literally lost faith in everything except death and taxes, and so our collective imagining of the impossible only extends as far as the DMV. Last seen: "The Magicians."

- The use of retro tech and '50s kitsch as a design stand-in, because Syd Mead died in 2019 and nobody can imagine the future anymore. Last seen: "Fallout 4," maybe? Or "The Outer Worlds"?

- Marvel won't have the balls to touch religion in a significant way, but the story lends itself to it. There's a host of intelligent beings living outside of time, and what is heaven and hell and the afterworld if not living outside time?

ETA:

- The premise suggests a universe without free will, which seems insane in a universe with superheroes, beings who, cough cough, are all about the will to power.
    Last edited by Irish; 06-12-2021 at 02:03 AM.

I'm not expecting life changing fiction. I was entertained.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Far and away the best first episode from Marvel Studios thus far.
    Not even close.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I thought it terrifically boring. 30 minutes of wall to wall exposition in an intentionally dull setting. Not even Hiddleston's charisma and his obvious joy at playing Loki saved it. They wasted my time and I'm annoyed (again).

Really want these Marvel TV writers to go back and read the comics, because those writers knew how to drop new readers into an established story using nothing more than 4 dialogue balloons and 2 panels. Or, fuck it, no shame, take an Intro to Creative Writing course and learn what in medias res means.

The worst thing to happen to genre fiction was the introduction and embrace of the horrid phrase "table setting" into the vernacular. It excuses too much bad writing, and dumbly requires us to ignore the way the analogy breaks down in obvious ways --- setting the table is not part of the meal and never has been, in any context.

Other pet peeves, because I think the premise here --- "Timecop" meets "Quantum Leap" --- is particularly unimaginative:

- The afterworld as massive bureaucracy. This was an old trope when I first encountered it as a teenager reading dumb fantasy novels, and granted that first time it's ironic and funny. Two dozen instances later, not so much. Culturally, I think this is weird, too. We've literally lost faith in everything except death and taxes, and so our collective imagining of the impossible only extends as far as the DMV. Last seen: "The Magicians."

- The use of retro tech and '50s kitsch as a design stand-in, because Syd Mead died in 2019 and nobody can imagine the future anymore. Last seen: "Fallout 4," maybe? Or "The Outer Worlds"?

- Marvel won't have the balls to touch religion in a significant way, but the story lends itself to it. There's a host of intelligent beings living outside of time, and what is heaven and hell and the afterworld if not living outside time?

ETA:

- The premise suggests a universe without free will, which seems insane in a universe with superheroes, beings who, cough cough, are all about the will to power.
    I dont see Quantum Leap here. I dont think they are saying Loki jumped into DB Cooper's body. But more that DB Cooper IS Loki.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I dont see Quantum Leap here. I dont think they are saying Loki jumped into DB Cooper's body. But more that DB Cooper IS Loki.
    "Quantum Leap" was about a couple of guys who jumped around the timeline fixing historical "errors" while backed by a mysterious organization.

"Loki" seems to be about a couple of guys who will jump around the timeline chasing an errant boogeyman (but originally charged with fixing historical "errors") while backed by a mysterious organization.

I can't see what Marvel added to the premise outside of Loki, and I don't think that's enough for a memorable series. They only got 6 episodes and they already wasted one "table setting."

Cf: "Voyagers!" (1982), "Doctor Who" (2005), "Timeless" (2016), "Legends of Tomorrow" (2016).

Debating whether to watch this weekly or wait and binge. Love WandaVision and couldn't get through that other one. I'm hopeful for this, as I enjoy the Thor-series. WandaVision was event watching for me. I have a hard time seeing Loki being an event and lending itself to a few nights of nights of uninterrupted viewing-- seems more appropriate and tolerable.
    Last edited by quido8_5; 06-13-2021 at 11:30 PM.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    You folks are all over the place without any consensus haha. I'll watch this at some point and I really would prefer it if Disney+ cut out the weekly shit. The whole point of streaming is to binge watch stuff.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    You folks are all over the place without any consensus haha. I'll watch this at some point and I really would prefer it if Disney+ cut out the weekly shit. The whole point of streaming is to binge watch stuff.
    The only streaming service that does this is Netflix.

I loved it, but nobody should be surprised by that. Most of the MCU gets a free pass from me.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    The only streaming service that does this is Netflix.
    I thought Hulu did but I guess not. Not sure why streaming has to act like they're a TV network.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

- - - - -
    Much as I hate to admit it ... the last ~15 minutes of episode #2 are legitimately cool.

- - - - -
    Also, due to a possible viewing? streaming? error, I may not have actually seen all of episode #1. But I'm still investigating.

This show is doooooope.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I rolled my eyes a little at the reveal of the 'Variant'. Oh shit, another petite white woman! "This is not about you." Oh? Then why is it called fucking Loki?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    I may have judged this show too quickly.

[
    ]

This has been the best MCU series so far by a freaking mile. WandaVision and Falcon & Winter Solider had me thinking, "Yeah, I like this, I'll keep watching this." Loki actually has me anticipating the next episode.

We had a gathering for fireworks last night...so yeah, I'm dying to see the latest ep. Agreed this is by far the best series. Unless they drop the ball later on.

Guys... that after credits scene though....

Guys... that after credits scene though....
    Seriously.

Can we talk for a second how fucking awesome the score is?

Can we talk for a second how fucking awesome the score is?
    Love it. I was pleased to see that it's being released in parts during the run, just like The Mandalorian.

Also, I absolutely love how the composer AND the bulk of the production team on Loki are women.

I'm surprised to see so much net agreeing with me how awesome this is. Each episode I felt like I would be on an island alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast