Thread: Underground Railroad (Barry Jenkins)

Underground Railroad (Barry Jenkins)

10-Part Series was released on Amazon today.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Seeing 'The' dropped from thread's title drives me nutty a bit, ha.

Watched first 10 minutes then had to pause because an errand came up, but it feels like Jenkins given free reign. Can't wait to watch the rest.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The Gaze - "An example of what's at the link: 50 minutes shot by James Laxton and scored by
    @NicholasBritell. All gaze. An Epilogue. Or Prologue? Whichever, it flows both ways" - Barry Jenkins

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Having not read the Colton Whitehead book or seeing a preview of this show, I was thrown in for quite the loop on the approach this show took in the final few scenes. This is in a good way, because otherwise, I'd say it's all things we've seen in these types of movies before.

It's VERY violent and relentless, as one think it would. Jenkins goes all out for this in the production. Score/cinematography/acting are all top rate. We'll see what happens next.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wow, I can't wait for this. Currently standing at 93 on Metacritic, which is quite a high score by their metrics.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Despite excellent production, a top tier score, and maybe some of the best sound design that I've seen from a TV Show, this has kind of been a chore to get through. Barry Jenkins gets a little too in love with his shots, sometimes holding on a scene for 5-10 seconds just to share the shot or hold on a moment. This was a problem in the latter half of Beale Street too.

It's also... nothing too far different than what we've seen in other movies? Outside of an interesting camaraderie between Eccleston and the Homer character, I can't say I was too invested, except when there was a search for a "High Spirit" of sorts, and the dynamics in Indiana's town.

Anyone else watch this? I have one episode to go.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter