Thread: I May Destroy You (HBO)

I May Destroy You (HBO)

Finishing this today; looking forward to writing up some thoughts. Barring an absolutely tanker of a finale, this is easily one of the best shows of 2020.

Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Producer
    I find the show's equally rich side-characters get a bit short-shrifted, but Coels' writing of Arabella's journey is as complex, multi-faceted, and lively as this medium can be. And it culminates in a galvanizing, slippery finale of pronged imperfections, which is a perfect endpoint for this series.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I find the show's equally rich side-characters get a bit short-shrifted, but Coels' writing of Arabella's journey is as complex, multi-faceted, and lively as this medium can be. And it culminates in a galvanizing, slippery finale of pronged imperfections, which is a perfect endpoint for this series.
    Drats! I couldn't watch it yesterday. Hopefully some time in the next 24-hours.

Great summary of the show. The side-characters do get short shrift, possibly because there are so many. However, each character allows for an exploration of different identities and the complex nature of sex and sexual assault. I cannot wait for the last episode! Your last sentence makes me think it's going to ends on a doozy (which isn't surprising).

The Last Duel - ***

Producer
    Now I'm worried about building up the finale up too much lol, because it's a bit divisive from the reactions I have seen. I'll just say that it's more thematically apt/ambitious rather than narratively satisfying, but the former makes the latter not matter to me at all, which mileage may vary.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Finally watched it!

I loved the finale. I had no idea how it would end and they found a way that is satisfying, funny, healing-- this show threaded a very complex needle throughout the series and the finale sealed the deal for me. Great show. ****.5

My only gripe about the finale is that it really exposed your point, Peng. Saying that the side characters are given short shrift would be a drastic understatement. I found all the characters to have a compelling storyline that help to explore the shades of sexual exploitation, assault, and rape. But, in the end, we get shit in the way of resolution for everyone but Arrabella. The only thing we get is Terry's one sentence in the bathroom about [
    ] These characters deserved better.

At the end of the day, it is a Arabella's story and an argument could certainly be made that it took the entire episode to get the resolution it did. Still, all my gripes are minor. This is a very special show.

The Last Duel - ***