0 0%

Thread: Nobody (Ilya Naishuller)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Nobody (Ilya Naishuller)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It's funny how unbashful of a mishmash this is with John Wick, Taken and the Equalizer.

Also equally funny how they inject some needed humor into the story, particularly around Christopher Lloyd.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Too thin given how preposterously foreboding it gets at the outset, and unlike the John Wicks there isn't enough distinctive style or grand world-building to fill in between. Odenkirk is a most inspired choice for the lead though, and at least the action is stellar throughout, with just the right amount of self-aware comedy thrown in to stay within the realm of fun no matter how bloody it increasingly gets. In fact, if it had got to its cartoonish mix of the fun, funny, and exhilarating Home Alone vibe in its finale earlier and more often, the film would have been much more my speed. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Too thin given how preposterously foreboding it gets at the outset, and unlike the John Wicks there isn't enough distinctive style or grand world-building to fill in between. Odenkirk is a most inspired choice for the lead though, and at least the action is stellar throughout, with just the right amount of self-aware comedy thrown in to stay within the realm of fun no matter how bloody it increasingly gets. In fact, if it had got to its cartoonish mix of the fun, funny, and exhilarating Home Alone vibe in its finale earlier and more often, the film would have been much more my speed. 6.5/10
    Pretty much agree with all of this.

It starts to wear out its welcome when it goes full action mode with character armor, but the casting choices and performances are fun enough that I went with it the rest of the way. Maybe one of the more unexpected surprises of the year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Really liked this. The action was phenomenal, and it had me laughing really hard a few times.

May not end up in my tops for the year, but will almost certainly be one of the movies I rewatch the most from this year's first viewings.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I enjoyed this, but don't you guys feel that the tension completely evaporates by the end? It was cool when the guy got fucked up and pushed on, but by the end their team becomes too superhuman.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I enjoyed this, but don't you guys feel that the tension completely evaporates by the end? It was cool when the guy got fucked up and pushed on, but by the end their team becomes too superhuman.
    Yep. "Character armor" for sure.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not for me. I fully thought that at least one of them was going to die.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."