Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underrated TV Shows

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Taxi was fine but I didn't go out of my way to watch it. Two you haven't mentioned (yet?) are WKRP in Cincinnati and Cheers. I have no idea how well these shows have aged.
    I honestly haven't seen WKRP in Cincinnati, but I really want to. I've seen an episode or two and liked them, so maybe soon (I'm looking for a sitcom to watch in the evenings when I don't want to think anymore).

Cheers aged really well. My wife was a big fan and I had not seen it, so about five years we watched it and, nearly tip-to-tale, it's great. Easily one of the best ensembles of all time, brimming over with talent and a unique synergy. My only thing is: Cheers is rated very highly (and appropriately so). It is typically in the same conversation as Seinfeld, it's spin-off Frasier, and Friends (blech) when I look at most commentaries and lists.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

I like Friends. Sue me.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I like Friends. Sue me.
    *sues*

WKRP was a childhood fav, and real popular here in Ohio.

- - - - -
    "Friends" got worse the longer it went, but the entire Ross-Rachel arc was well done, particularly how it played out ("We were on a BREAK!").

Also, Kudrow's delivery in this scene never fails to make me laugh.

I like the Friends episode in which the girls lose their apartment with the guys on a dumb competition.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Friends is a fine show. It's likable and easy to digest-- the flan of sitcoms. I remember watching three seasons in a week with my brother and his girlfriend while they were recovering from mono. I had a good time, but afterward found out that my IQ went down three points.

The Last Duel - ***

#2) Spaced
    I don't remember a whole lot about Spaced. Unlike other forgettable shows, however, there is a very specific reason why: Mary Jane, ganja, refer, that dag’ on Bobo bush… I was high as hell y’all!! So, yeah, I don’t have uber-vivid memories about this show. What I do remember is choking on food and spitting out soda because I was laughing so much. I recall how the star power and chemistry between Pegg and Frost was immediately evident. Re-watching a few episodes gave me a new appreciation for the craft and style of the show, as well as how tight the scripts are written and episodes are constructed. I am looking forward to re-watching this over the summer and making new, very fuzzy memories.

Bottom line: Watch this show if you are a fan of British sci-fi and comedy, you like any of the Pegg/Wright collaborations, or you feelin' it.

Available on Amazon Prime

The Last Duel - ***

#1) King of the Hill

This list is not ranked, but if it were King of the Hill would be number 1. If Pushing Daisies is the most under-watched but appropriately rated shows, then King of the Hill is the most over-watched* and underrated. The show was a hit, posting strong audience shares for seven seasons. It's easy to see why: the pairing of Mike Judge and Greg Daniels is Lennon/McCartney-level complementary. From Judge we get the audacious, provocative jokes and stories that made Bevis and Butthead revolutionary at the time of its release. From Daniels we get the pathos and the relatable characters with genuinely touching arcs that would later make The Office one of the most rewatched shows of all time.

Although King of the Hill has a compelling storyline, it's not terribly necessary to watch in order, as each episode works well as a stand-alone. Indeed, one of the testaments to the show is that after seven seasons and 259 episodes there is nary an episode that would be disappointing if selected at random.

Bottom Line: There is a cornucopia of wonderful episodes just waiting for you to discover. If you wanted a less polyanna and safe The Office or Bevis and Butthead with a heart, this is worth checking out. Pro tip: consider skipping the first season. They are still working things out and it doesn't get good until the last 1/3, in my opinion. Still, if you watch season 2, episode 1 and don't laugh, then it's time to take a cold, hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask: do I lack a sense of humor?

* due mainly to the fact that there are two types of audiences for this show: those who are laughing with and those who are laughing at the main characters and the crazy circumstances they find themselves in. This isn't meant to be a dig on the show, that it appeals to such a broad audience is part of what makes it great. However, saying that, there are probably a number of audience members who are interpreting the jokes in very different ways.

The Last Duel - ***

I've never seen an episode of Friends.

Friends seasons 1 to 5 are very watchable. It goes to shit pretty much as soon as Monica and Chandler get together.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I've never seen Spaced but you convinced me to move it up my queue.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I watched a few eps of Spaced. I was too late to the party. I could've seen myself quite enjoying it around the time it came out.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I've never seen Spaced but you convinced me to move it up my queue.
    Awesome! Look forward to hearing what you think.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I watched a few eps of Spaced. I was too late to the party. I could've seen myself quite enjoying it around the time it came out.
    This is definitely fair. As I was re-watching it for the review, it occurred to me that this show has a special appeal to those who are around the age of the protagonists. For instance, it was definitely a 20-something dude who got stoned and watched that show every night, binging on trash food. If I tried to eat that much now, I'd regret it for days.

The Last Duel - ***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12