View Poll Results: Yay/Nay

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Now we need a 37th!

8 88.89%
  • Six Years and this was the result?

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Godzilla vs. Kong (Adam Wingard)

Yeah, I don't think it can be overstated how effective Edwards' eye for immense scale is.

Godzilla 2014 made kaiju scary again.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I really enjoyed that and none of it made sense and I <3 Kong.

I'm not interested in nitpicking the plot or anything because that's beside the point, but two things I think I was supposed to understand but did not:

1. Why did anybody think that going to the Hollow Earth was going to save the planet?
    2. So...what was Godzilla's deal?

Where these explained and I just missed them?

I think it was theorized by Mexican Elon that the Hollow Earth possessed a power source that would help them tilt the odds in their favor against a rampaging Godzilla and thus give humanity a fighting chance if worse came to worse.

Second, [
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I think it was theorized by Mexican Elon that the Hollow Earth possessed a power source that would help them tilt the odds in their favor against a rampaging Godzilla and thus give humanity a fighting chance if worse came to worse.

Second, [
    ]
    The skull thing made no sense. It should have been a brain in a jar type scenario. (Yes I realize the hilarity in that sentence)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Garbage, I hated almost every minute of it. Only gave it more than a zero because the effects are good and the final fight was fun. Other than that, I'm going to pretend this never happened.
    Last edited by Mal; 04-10-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I mean, it is kinda neat seeing the evolution of these movies and giving the director's freedom to do whatever they want. Godzilla is super dark and gritty and grounded from the human perspective. And by the time we reach this movie, we are flying around in space ships going through portals into hollow earth.

I think this is why I like Skull Island most. It has the most artistic freedom visually.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I absolutely hated Kong: Skull Island so goddamn much. Ugly, awful acting, awful script. Godzilla vs. Kong is THANKFULLY a little bit better than that. And Godzilla: King of the Monsters is silly, yet it attempts and succeeds with action and big moments despite its problems. I do have Godzilla bias though, I find everything surrounding the lizard more interesting than Hollywood's Kong.
    Last edited by Mal; 04-10-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I absolutely hated Kong: Skull Island so goddamn much. Ugly, awful acting, awful script. Godzilla vs. Kong is THANKFULLY a little bit better than that. And Godzilla: King of the Monsters is silly, yet it attempts and succeeds with action and big moments despite its problems. I do have Godzilla bias though, I find everything surrounding the lizard more interesting than Hollywood's Kong.
    I feel like my brain is a tree and you're those cookie elves.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I feel like my brain is a tree and you're those cookie elves.
    You found the words for my speechlessness

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    That ruled. A lot. Honestly if I saw KOTM again I probably wouldn't like it half as much and the 2014 Godzilla held up well to a rewatch. I have a feeling this one will too. It was very pro Kong which is fine since the original also was and despite some obvious predictable moments I was left with a big dumb grin on my face. I liked the first ocean fight the best though-that was pretty wicked.

I'm guessing that Toho will probably only make their versions from here on out though just because it's their baby although I'm not sure who Godzilla would fight next. Also that little girl was adorable and she loved Kong so much that it almost made me cry. Seriously anytime something happened to him and she got sad I felt like I did during Up with the old man and the house.

Oh and I think this one had the best human to monster balance. In the 2014 one the people were around but were sketched pretty thin. KOTM was more about the monster fights. GVK actually had characters I gave a crap about one way or another.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I really liked Kong Skull Island. That one is a blast. Not a great movie by any means but a lot of fun and any movie with John C. Reilly as a Cubs fan who gets stuck on an island and no one takes him seriously enough gets a fresh rating from me. His line about no one listening to him despite being on the island for years is something I relate to working retail. Plus yey Samuel L. Jackson.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I can relate without the last two words "working retail". Literally no one listens to me, ever.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that Kong: Skull Island is ugly.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This movie is entertaining as fuck. ***
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

This was fully self aware of how dumb it was, and endearingly earnest in its love for what it was doing.

So much fun.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This was fully self aware of how dumb it was, and endearingly earnest in its love for what it was doing.

So much fun.
    When Kong started hopping across battleships, I realized this and was totally invested.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    When Kong started hopping across battleships, I realized this and was totally invested.
    For me it was when Kong started signing.

Godzilla charging up Kong's axe is one of my favorite movie moments in recent memory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12