View Poll Results: Yay/Nay

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Now we need a 37th!

8 88.89%
  • Six Years and this was the result?

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla vs. Kong (Adam Wingard)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Godzilla vs. Kong (Adam Wingard)

The 36th film in the Godzilla franchise
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Even though we talked about Godzilla being cooler, I think I gravitate to Kong more.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    We need a separate poll for actual King Kong versus Godzilla, and I will need to bribe Ezee E with chicken sandwiches to make sure that poll comes out right.

BTW I'm making home made chick-fil-a sandwiches tomorrow night.

This was better than King of the Monsters and Godzilla. But not Kong Skull Island.

Duke is it true that...

[
    ]

If so, that is lame as hell. Especially after the director (?) specifically stated otherwise.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Your first part is true, but there's a scene that precedes that event that is, in the directors eyes, a declarative winner.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Your first part is true, but there's a scene that precedes that event that is, in the directors eyes, a declarative winner.
    Okay cool. I'm happy to hear it wasn't a 100% cop out.

This was utterly silly and ridiculous, and I kind of loved it. The Hollow Earth stuff was awesome and made my little Vernian heart sing. The implementation of MG was fun, the humans weren't too annoying, the action was exciting, and they even made time to fit in some dumb sci-fi bullshit. They fit a surprising amount of stuff in this! I would have liked a more "definitive" winner, but I guess in this day and age that's just not likely to happen. But I found this very satisfying and well-balanced overall.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The sun inside the Hollow Earth makes zero sense. Silly doesn't even begin to describe his film.

I also liked Julian Dennison in this. He's funny and has a great presence. "We just had an assembly about this."

He was pretty good in Deadpool 2 too.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I just got to his introduction, yeah I really like that kid.

This was gloriously ridiculous. Fucking loved it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Just getting the inner earth stuff. Ya know, I love bonkers cinema.

My local probably-not-real-IMAX theater has this in standard and "XTREME"--whatever the absolute fuck that means.

Should I?

--Homer

--Homer

During a normal year, I would’ve loved watching this at my favorite theater.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I think the last twenty minutes killed skitch.

I quite enjoyed it. Could've been longer by me. Of course its got plenty of ridiculous stuff, imo, every Godzilla and Kong movie is chock full of ridiculous stuff. Its why I especially like entries like Godzilla 2000 and Final Wars, they really embrace the ridiculous.

Hell even if we go with "classy" entries like Jackson's Kong...how directly the shit did they get Kong on the boat? All hands on deck and heave ho? Please, 500 people couldn't budge that gorilla. Same with Godzilla vs Kong, how did they get the net under Kong for the helicopters? The key for these movies is you can't get hung up on such details (unless you're just not into them, which is fine). Once you start getting technical with these films, every single thing is stupid. Why are there twins that can talk to a moth?

I know what to expect from these films, and I dig it. I just roll with it. If its not your thing I get it.

I really enjoyed all the inner earth stuff. Really cool/weird ideas.

I also really like Adam Wingard.
    Last edited by Skitch; 04-02-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Lol Did Kong pull a Martin Riggs?!

Last 45 minutes are what it's all about. Nicely lit, coherent tableaus full of pretty amazing, if hardly original special effects and as Skitch said some wondrous sights like the Earth's inner core or something like that.

I'm no longer in awe of these creatures and the danger they represent to humanity. This is actually where I prefer Emmerich's film. It's got some better build-up, doesn't go all out right away and it's just monster vs. mankind. In these newer movies it's not really monster vs. humanity, but rather monster vs. monster. And while that results in some colossaly scaled battles, it's really a glorified boxing match.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Lol Did Kong pull a Martin Riggs?!

Last 45 minutes are what it's all about. Nicely lit, coherent tableaus full of pretty amazing, if hardly original special effects and as Skitch said some wondrous sights like the Earth's inner core or something like that.

I'm no longer in awe of these creatures and the danger they represent to humanity. This is actually where I prefer Emmerich's film. It's got some better build-up, doesn't go all out right away and it's just monster vs. mankind. In these newer movies it's not really monster vs. humanity, but rather monster vs. monster. And while that results in some colossaly scaled battles, it's really a glorified boxing match.
    Wingard says he was inspired by Akira for that final sequence, but I think he just took it directly from Pacific Rim (Which is clearly the best big monster movie in the last few years).

Hmm. I'm not sure I saw an Akira influence outside of "big monster, city damage", which wouldn't be much. Did I miss an angle?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Hmm. I'm not sure I saw an Akira influence outside of "big monster, city damage", which wouldn't be much. Did I miss an angle?
    Just the final sequence from Neo Toyko to Hong Kong along with the shot of Kong being pushed back by the Fire Breathe.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2...ne-inspiration

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just the final sequence from Neo Toyko to Hong Kong along with the shot of Kong being pushed back by the Fire Breathe.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2...ne-inspiration
    Ohh the hong kong backdrop design. Yeah I totally see that.

Producer
    Surely one day they would re-figure out the alchemy that makes Kong: Skull Island’s human part the best one of MonsterVerse, a roster of fun, colorful characters that complement, and not distract from, the monster spectacle. 2014’s Godzilla, though still my favorite, is a great idea of humans used as mostly comparative scale that is dragged down by having the dullest, least movie-star charisma actor of the cast being the human focus. Meanwhile, the human part of Godzilla: King of the Monsters is such nihilistic dumb (Thanos Farmiga still memorable for all the wrong reason) that takes up so much time, compounded by most monster action being cloaked in rain, dust and darkness.

The new one’s human part is regrettably in the 2019 vein, but at least they’re comparatively swift and used as fast connective plot issues between the two monsters. And Wingard really delivers on the monster action, finding inventive, fresh, and most of all clear visuals to represent the clash of two titans, whether on sea, bathed in eye-popping neon city lights, or among broad daylight’s ruins in the last showdown. I still miss Edwards’ majestic and mythic awe a bit, but trading that for a fluid, stylish grand clobbering time of giddy action is fine enough by me. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast