Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Madness 2: Best of the 90s

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Maybe we ought to change the title of this thread from "Best of the '90s" to "Most Popular Films of the '90s" since so many of the decade's best movies have too few Letterboxd views to even be in consideration:
    Make a tourney! It'll be like the NIT

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Maybe we ought to change the title of this thread from "Best of the '90s" to "Most Popular Films of the '90s" since so many of the decade's best movies have too few Letterboxd views to even be in consideration:

Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control (Errol Morris, 1997): 3.7k
    Irma Vep (Olivier Assayas, 1996): 16K
    New Rose Hotel (Abel Ferrara, 1998): 7.2k
    Nouvelle vague (Jean-Luc Godard, 1990): 1.8k
    Simple Men (Hal Hartley, 1992): 3k
    The Story of Qiu Jiu (Zhang Yimou, 1992): 2.4k
    To Sleep with Anger (Charles Burnett, 1990): 6.4k
    Legit surprises me these films don't have enough votes on LB.

But this reminds me of a pet theory of mine: Different generations of filmgoers have permanent viewing blindspots, usually centered around when they were old enough to watch movies but not old enough for movies aimed at adults. For Gen X, this period is around the late 70s through the early 80s. For Millennials, it's the early 90s.

So, nobody talks about Julie Christie or "Coming Home," and the careers of Zhang Yimou and Hal Hartley largely disappears. Likewise: "The Horseman on the Roof," "Belle Epoque," "Sirens, "Flesh and Bone," "Wrestling Ernest Hemingway."

The only exceptions are films made by filmmakers who have a legacy, ie, people who are still working and popular now, or films whose subject matter naturally attracts teenage boys (eg: horror movies and war films).

Irish, I think he made up all those titles to make up a point.

Verifies...

Fuck.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    But this reminds me of a pet theory of mine: Different generations of filmgoers have permanent viewing blindspots, usually centered around when they were old enough to watch movies but not old enough for movies aimed at adults. For Gen X, this period is around the late 70s through the early 80s. For Millennials, it's the early 90s.
    Wait wait wait... so this is why I've seen The Big Green, Little Giants, Wild America, Black Beauty, Flubber, The Little Rascals, The Swan Princess, Fly Away Home, Fern Gully, Casper, The Secret Garden, Homeward Bound, Balto, Blank Check, Rookie of the Year, and Heavyweights all multiple times... but I still haven't seen Satantango?

Producer
    Ed Wood relaces Boyz N the Hood
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Ed Wood is not even in the final 32??? What even is this now
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Wait wait wait... so this is why I've seen The Big Green, Little Giants, Wild America, Black Beauty, Flubber, The Little Rascals, The Swan Princess, Fly Away Home, Fern Gully, Casper, The Secret Garden, Homeward Bound, Balto, Blank Check, Rookie of the Year, and Heavyweights all multiple times... but I still haven't seen Satantango?
    You could rewatch all of those, back-to-back, and still finish before Satantango I'm pretty sure.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    + Part of an underrepresented group and another MCer chimed in with support (trans)
    - Part of an underrepresented group
    = Boyz N the Hood is out! Ed Wood is in!

Ezee E, Baby Doll, Yxklyx, and Peng have reached the maximum allowed replacements. Here's what can be gleaned about them as board game players.

Hitting the max in only a few hours (and ruthlessly taking down a movie from the "You Monster!" group), Ezee E hopes for a seven every time he rolls the die in Settlers of Catan because more than anything else he loves using the robber to prey upon weakened/unsuspecting opponents.

After Peng did away with The Piano and Three Colors: Blue, Baby Doll turned right around and put them back into the tournament, locking them in in the process -- clearly the type of person who maintains perfect eye contact when playing an Uno reverse card.

Spending the time to actually read the novel-length post at the beginning of this thread, Yxklyx's tendency to hold up a game of Risk due to analysis paralysis is tolerated by the gaming group -- but the fact that Yxklyx always wins is getting a little old, especially to the guy who drives 45 minutes each way every other Thursday and still hasn't won even once.

After no small amount of hardship -- one suggestion denied and the other two reversed by Baby Doll -- Peng refused to concede, like a Monopoly player who somehow hits Pennsylvania Avenue with three houses, gets a bad Chance draw, then lands on a Boardwalk with hotels but nevertheless proclaims "I'm still in this thing!" Ed Wood himself would be proud.

We have already made significant changes to the original brackets, but my gut tells me we can alter them even more toward Match Cut's taste. In case it helps anyone to have their memory refreshed, here are some movies at all viewership levels that are not currently in Madness 2.0 but I find noteworthy for whatever reason: [
    ]

Play-In Round rules reminder: Find a movie you'd like to replace that's "on the bubble" (list can be found in top post of thread), then suggest a movie that has more letterboxd views.

I may even consider allowing one more replacement for Ezee E, Baby Doll, Yxklyx, and Peng...

I just assumed Titanic was in there. Damn.

But Breaking the Waves and Good Will Hunting tho.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Play-In Round is almost over.

At this time Ezee, Baby Doll, Yxklyx, and Peng are invited to make one more replacement beyond their max of three. Of course, others may still play as well.

I will also suggest some replacements of my own. If any one of these receives more support than dissent then it will be locked in:

Paris Is Burning > The Sweet Hereafter
    Perfect Blue > There’s Something About Mary
    Beauty and the Beast > The Usual Suspects
    Titanic > Edward Scissorhands

I'll second Titanic to replace Edward Scissorhands. Eddie has first round knockout written all over it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'll second Titanic to replace Edward Scissorhands. Eddie has first round knockout written all over it.
    Yeah, plus thanks to Peng we now have Burton/Depp covered with Ed Wood.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    The Play-In Round is almost over.

At this time Ezee, Baby Doll, Yxklyx, and Peng are invited to make one more replacement beyond their max of three. Of course, others may still play as well.

I will also suggest some replacements of my own. If any one of these receives more support than dissent then it will be locked in:

Paris Is Burning > The Sweet Hereafter...
    I would like to use my option to "lock-in" The Sweet Hereafter if that's possible (so that it's not replaced) - if not then it should be made possible

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Thirded.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

That's me on the left, and the organizers of the competition on the right, for not having The Last of the Mohicans on there. It's better than Heat, people!
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 04-07-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

The book is lots of fun. Haven't seen any of the film versions, but I'm more interested in the 1920 silent version than the Daniel Day-Lewis one.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I'm more interested in the 1920 silent version than the Daniel Day-Lewis one.
    Hmmm, that's a surprise.

Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

That's me on the left, and the organizers of the competition on the right, for not having The Last of the Mohicans on there. It's better than Heat, people!
    Eh, it isn't a bad film or anything, but it still felt like lesser Mann to me (and certainly not as good as Heat), with its standard-issue obligatory romance, and the wannabe "stately" tone that couldn't help but make it feel a fairly inauthentic effort overall, since it's so far removed from the urban grit that Mann usually specializes in. It was basically his Spartacus​, if you ask me.
    The book is lots of fun. Haven't seen any of the film versions, but I'm more interested in the 1920 silent version than the Daniel Day-Lewis one.
    Haven't read the book, but it sure does seem to be popular in the prison system:

Last edited by StuSmallz; 04-07-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Voting for Round One is now open! Vote now by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.

Rules Reminder: Vote for one of two movies. If you haven't seen both movies, don't vote. If you have seen both movies, you must vote no matter how painful. The movie with the most votes moves to the next round, and the other is burned in a fire and can never be seen again by anyone.

Pulp Fiction vs. Three Colors: Blue
    Out of Sight vs. Saving Private Ryan
    Toy Story vs. The Sixth Sense
    Schindler’s List vs. The Iron Giant
    Fight Club vs. Safe
    Barton Fink vs. Leon: The Professional
    Chungking Express vs. Lost Highway
    Jackie Brown vs. Princess Mononoke
    The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day vs. The Lion King
    Heat vs. JFK
    Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct
    Boogie Nights vs. La Haine
    Malcolm X vs. Contact
    The Big Lebowski vs. The Truman Show
    Groundhog Day vs. Titanic
    Goodfellas vs. There’s Something About Mary
    Miller’s Crossing vs. Jurassic Park
    Magnolia vs. All About My Mother
    Being John Malkovich vs. Office Space
    Unforgiven vs. Three Kings
    Trainspotting vs. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Matrix vs. The Blair Witch Project
    Hoop Dreams vs. The Thin Red Line
    Fargo vs. Dead Man
    L. A. Confidential vs. Run Lola Run
    Before Sunrise vs. The Piano
    Eyes Wide Shut vs. Three Colors: Red
    Rushmore vs. The Sweet Hereafter
    The Shawshank Redemption vs The Usual Suspects
    Reservoir Dogs vs. Ed Wood
    Seven vs. Scream

The Who's Who of Madness 2.0

-- Eight directors have more than one movie in the tournament. Paul Thomas Anderson, James Cameron, David Fincher, Krzysztof Kieslowski, and Richard Linklater have two each. Steven Spielberg and Quentin Tarantino have three each. The Coens have four. Might this be a predictor of later rounds, or will MC rally behind directors with less representation?

-- Madness 1.0 champion Spike Lee (Do the Right Thing) and runner-up Stanley Kubrick (The Shining) each have a movie in the tournament: Malcolm X and Eyes Wide Shut. Can these MC superstars repeat by making another run, or will they take their wins for granted and hit a post-victory slump?

-- Of the 64 movies in the tournament, four (of a possible ten) won the Oscar for Best Picture: The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, and Titanic. Another nine (of a possible forty) were nominated, but didn't win. No Best Picture nominees from 1995 are in the tournament -- if the tastes of Match Cut and the Academy are as different as they seem, does this spell good fortune for 1995's top seed: David Fincher's Seven?

Find out when voting closes in one week!
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 04-07-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Pulp Fiction vs. Three Colors: Blue (Kieślowski's film has more substantial characters and is more stylistically accomplished)
    Out of Sight vs. Saving Private Ryan (Soderbergh's film is at least diverting and sexy, if not much else)
    Fight Club vs. Safe (Hayne's film is largely successful in what it tries to do; Fincher's isn't)
    Chungking Express vs. Lost Highway (both are great, but given the choice, I'd rather re-watch Wong's than Lynch's)
    Jackie Brown vs. Princess Mononoke (see previous)
    The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up (I haven't watched Demme's film in close to twenty years, and although I liked it, have little desire to see it again, unlike Kiarostami's film)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day vs. The Lion King (Cameron's film is less a sequel than a big-budget remake but at least it's not terrible)
    Heat vs. JFK (Mann's film looked better the last time I saw it whereas Stone's looked worse)
    Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct (pretty good Linklater vs. Verhoeven's best)
    Boogie Nights vs. La Haine (basically a coin-toss decision here)
    Malcolm X vs. Contact (of course)
    The Big Lebowski vs. The Truman Show (see previous)
    Groundhog Day vs. Titanic (I like both of these a lot)
    Goodfellas vs. There’s Something About Mary (see previous)
    Miller’s Crossing vs. Jurassic Park (can't say I have much desire to re-watch either of these)
    Magnolia vs. All About My Mother (I like Anderson's swagger)
    Being John Malkovich vs. Office Space (not a hard choice)
    Unforgiven vs. Three Kings (Eastwood's film may be the most overrated film of the '90s; I prefer White Hunter, Black Heart and A Perfect World)
    Trainspotting vs. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Boyle's film isn't totally successful--the ending is pretty lame and unconvincing--but it may be the most entertaining thing he's ever done, rivalled only by Millions)
    The Matrix vs. The Blair Witch Project
    Hoop Dreams vs. The Thin Red Line (Malick's film is arguably the less successful of the two--it falls apart completely in the last hour--but the first two hours are as brilliant as anything he's done)
    Fargo vs. Dead Man (a good movie vs. a great one)
    L. A. Confidential vs. Run Lola Run (a near-great movie vs. a so-so one)
    Before Sunrise vs. The Piano (Linklater's best vs. Campion's second-best)
    Eyes Wide Shut vs. Three Colors: Red (Kieślowski's may be my favourite film in this tournament)
    Rushmore vs. The Sweet Hereafter (both are great)
    The Shawshank Redemption vs The Usual Suspects (a good but overrated film vs. a thoroughly mediocre one)
    Reservoir Dogs vs. Ed Wood (Burton's film is good, probably his best, despite the one-note performance from Depp; Tarantino's is better but not one of his best)
    Seven vs. Scream (the former is Fincher's best and most disciplined film; I remember the latter being fun)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up (I haven't watched Demme's film in close to twenty years, and although I liked it, have little desire to see it again, unlike Kiarostami's film)
    This week's toughest match-up for me. I keep going back and forth.

Groundhog Day vs. Titanic (I like both of these a lot)
    Goodfellas vs. There’s Something About Mary (see previous)
    Years ago, someone would've put this in their sig to remind everyone of the time Baby Doll said...

Being John Malkovich vs. Office Space (not a hard choice)
    Understatement of the day.

Eyes Wide Shut vs. Three Colors: Red (Kieślowski's may be my favourite film in this tournament)
    You monster.

The Shawshank Redemption vs The Usual Suspects (a good but overrated film vs. a thoroughly mediocre one)
    Normie match-up of the week! One college roommate loved Shawshank (the sensitive type) and another loved Usual Suspects (the bad boy).

Pulp Fiction vs. Three Colors: Blue
    Out of Sight vs. Saving Private Ryan
    Fight Club vs. Safe
    Chungking Express vs. Lost Highway
    Jackie Brown vs. Princess Mononoke
    The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day vs. The Lion King
    Heat vs. JFK
    Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct