Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Madness 2: Best of the 90s

With about 24 hours left in round two, we have one tie:

The Big Lebowski vs. Groundhog Day

If you've been thinking about voting and have a preference in this match-up (or any others -- plenty of nailbiters at the moment), now would be a great time to vote by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)

I give you permission to count my vote twice.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I give you permission to count my vote twice.
    I really, really wish I could.

Y'all really need to stop making Silence of the Lambs vs. Terminator 2 a close match-up.
    I'm so glad you did because Terminator 2 is one of the best action movies I've ever seen. Turning Arnold into a good guy was genius. Great moments of humor, plus a general "don't take this too seriously" tone that I always appreciate in action movies (the thumbs up at the end was still a little much lol). Breathless pacing. Fantastic villain -- the movie kept finding new ways to show off his powers with special effects that look cool even today. And the kid wasn't annoying!

I 100% assumed I would vote Silence of the Lambs, but:

Silence of the Lambs vs. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

If you've been thinking about voting and have a preference in this match-up (or any others -- plenty of nailbiters at the moment), now would be a great time to vote by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.
    Can I vote? I would vote GROUNDHOG DAY easily.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Can I vote? I would vote GROUNDHOG DAY easily.
    Yes!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I like this interpretation because it is assumes Mookie has good intentions, but I don't think this or any other interpretation is 100% certain.
    I really don't think so either, esp with what Spike Lee has said about the film (which I think you should take with a grain of salt, because the film is much more interesting if it's open ended). The only thing I'll say is that multiple people will have multiple views about the ending of DTRT, and those views likely split by race (although def not always!).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hey. I just watched Do the Right Thing.

I'm not sure Mookie did the right thing.
    Don't you think that was the entire point of the film, though?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Don't you think that was the entire point of the film, though?
    Point or message? I don't know what the point of the film is. But the message should be DO THE RIGHT THING? Instead of what actually is shown. And then later justified with a Malcom X quote.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What would the right thing have been?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I agree that it was not made clear but he was redirecting their anger from the store owners to the store - to prevent another death.
    I've never understood the rationale behind this theory; I mean, in addition to Lee denying that that was his intent with the scene, there's no solid evidence supporting it in the film itself (and even some against it, in fact). If the intent in Mookie's reaction was to protect Sal, then why wouldn't he have brought it up in his defense in their confrontation the next day, by saying something like "I only attacked the pizzeria to distract everyone from you?", rather than justify it the way he did instead? As it is, it feels like a theory that white people came up with so they wouldn't have to feel uncomfortable, and accept that a movie portrayed a black man acting out of (justified) anger without explicitly condemning that anger.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 04-19-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I've never understood the rationale behind this theory; I mean, in addition to Lee denying that that was his intent with the scene,...
    What Lee thinks is irrelevant when considering the film itself. Only the film is canon, now you can go ahead and include other things not part of the film as part of your analysis but then you're analyzing something more than the film. That said I've flip-flopped on the interpretation myself.

What Lee thinks is irrelevant when considering the film itself.
    I can only think of one other example where the director is wrong about his own interpretation of his film. Any guesses?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Any guesses?
    Louis CK with I Love You, Daddy.

Louis CK with I Love You, Daddy.
    Heh. No. Released originally in the 80s.

Round Two is now closed. Here are MC's results:

[
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 04-19-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Congratulations to Peng for having TWO movies he suggested in the Play-In Round make it to the Sweet Sixteen (Ed Wood and Three Colors: Red). Peng now has two extra votes that can be redeemed in any match-up, in any remaining round of Madness 2.0.

I can only think of one other example where the director is wrong about his own interpretation of his film. Any guesses?
    As I see it, film is an artistic collaboration in which the director's role is just one part. He/She may want X but the end result can end up interpreted as Y by most viewers - and even if the art is entirely under the control of one individual (maybe a novel but even there there could be an editor) there might be subconscious directions that the artist is unaware of and he creates something he wasn't intending to. Ultimately, the viewer's interpretation is the most valid one - for that viewer. There is no right/wrong interpretation and also many of the films we see/analyze today might be looked at in a totally different light decades from now.

Voting for the Sweet Sixteen is now open! Vote now by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.

Pulp Fiction vs. Schindler’s List
    Fight Club vs. Princess Mononoke
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day vs. Heat
    Boogie Nights vs. Groundhog Day
    Goodfellas vs. Magnolia
    Unforgiven vs. The Matrix
    Fargo vs. Three Colors: Red
    The Shawshank Redemption vs. Ed Wood

Underdog Watch!

-- Groundhog Day just defeated The Big Lebowski, an old MC favorite which made Filmspotting's Elite Eight, while Terminator 2: Judgment Day just took out #1 seed The Silence of the Lambs, which made it all the way to Filmspotting's Final Four. It seems as though current-day MC loves movies with titles that end in "Day" -- if Heat and Boogie Nights go down in the Sweet Sixteen, could a match-up of Judgment Day vs. Groundhog Day cause a rift in the space-time continuum and send us back twelve years to an infinite time loop in which Lebowski is one of MC's top ten movies to see before you die?

-- Through a series of notable upsets, Princess Mononoke has outlasted Toy Story to become the last remaining animated film of Madness 2.0. In the Sweet Sixteen of Madness 1.0, Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro lost in a nail-biter match-up to The Empire Strikes Back -- can Mononoke destroy something beautiful in Fight Club and become the longest-lasting animated film in MC Madness history?

-- Ed Wood and Three Colors: Red (both submitted by Play-In Round MVP Peng) are undoubtedly the tournament's Cinderella stories up to this point. And while Red's victories over Eyes Wide Shut and Before Sunrise are certainly impressive, it's Ed Wood that is really turning heads after massive wins against Reservoir Dogs and Seven. The clock must eventually strike midnight, however -- does Red stand a chance against Filmspotting champion Fargo, and can Ed Wood stand up to IMDB's top-rated movie The Shawshank Redemption?

Find out when voting closes in four days!
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 04-19-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Boogie Nights vs. Groundhog Day (only because Groundhog Day wouldn't make it out of the Elite Eight)

Some of these are painful. Surprised about Matrix beating Hoop Dreams.

Goodfellas vs. Magnolia
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Goodfellas vs. Magnolia

As I see it, film is an artistic collaboration in which the director's role is just one part. He/She may want X but the end result can end up interpreted as Y by most viewers - and even if the art is entirely under the control of one individual (maybe a novel but even there there could be an editor) there might be subconscious directions that the artist is unaware of and he creates something he wasn't intending to. Ultimately, the viewer's interpretation is the most valid one - for that viewer. There is no right/wrong interpretation and also many of the films we see/analyze today might be looked at in a totally different light decades from now.
    I agree with this, but am still curious what movie Duke is thinking about.

Goodfellas vs. Magnolia

I would take a turn voting by PM this round except I'm the only person who shouldn't do that, since there wouldn't be a second set of eyes.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast