Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rick and Morty (Season 5)

Also, we eat turkeys for Thanksgiving in Canada.

The episode was just stupid and didn't make me laugh once.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It's called a counterpoint. Discussions tend to have many of them.

My point IS... If I hadn't posted in this thread, we would only get "Godawful" as your review of the last episode.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ok. *thumbs up*

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Also, we eat turkeys for Thanksgiving in Canada.
    Not the point in the specifically linked example I made.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

If you'd like to turn down the condescension I'd be happy to discuss.

I came in and made statement that I am not impressed with the latest season. It wasn't even an attempt to start a discussion, just a quick shoot in and out. I spend very little time in any of the subforums except Off Topic, as I rarely have much to contribute.

You immediately for up in arms because you like the show. Which you do often when people criticize something you like, as if they are attacking you personally. You're the one who immediately made a quotr-unquote counterpoint that boiled down to "it made me laugh, so you are wrong and engaging hyperbole".

Then proceeded to say that I just don't "get" the joke because I am Canadian (I am very aware of the pardoning turkeys tradition, as are most Canadians I'd say), and then implied that I don't understand how discussions work.

Ok!

Dude right back at ya.

I give you an example of the theme of the entire episode, with video evidence about US President's pardoning turkey's on Thanksgiving.... which was Rick's plan from the get go (and why maybe the entire episode went over your head) .... .and you're response is "we eat turkeys too". How am I supposed to approach that?

Want a NON-hyperbolic video example representing that exchange?

I love that man.

Producer
    After an extended run of underwhelming episodes, this week is finally the best one since last season's finale.

My impression of the show is that, even if the characters' behavior/thoughts can come off tossed-off or callous, most of the first three seasons feel as if significant thoughts go into planning them and their storylines, while during the past two (and especially this season), there are more and more episodes that feel like the showrunners just riff and reference in the same spirit as their characters, which can be enjoyable enough but get increasingly dispiriting to see after the balance they previously pull off.

This one's Eternal Sunshine premise restricts them to at least get creative, and even then the showrunners bring their A-game this time, with the best mix of intricate jokes and dark drama so far this season, with a bit of tantalizing lore too (surely the tossed-off Beth comment would come up as main plotline again?).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Guess the live-action clips are just to drum up excitement for finale, or maybe next season?

Anyway, after the weakest, most underwhelming season that feels at times veered towards Family Guy than itself, this sticks the landing nicely. Surprisingly, by leaning into serialization more than it has ever done before (even if couched in self-deprecating gags about doing so).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Whoa... Family Guy? In what way?

Producer
    Leaning heavily on references and crudeness, without enough of the show's own unique kind of mean-spirited heart/creativity propping them up like past seasons.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Leaning heavily on references and crudeness,
    I mean this describes almost all adult animation... if you had said literally any other show I wouldn't have flinched but Family Guy is mostly disjointed segments with lazy cut always. I've never once sniffed Family Guy. Not even South Park. But Archer? Maybe.

Rickmurai Jack hits a new low for the show. Not one laugh in the entire episode.

Peng's comparison to Family Guy is apt. Both shows seem to think that simply making a reference is in itself clever. It's not.

All the Thousand Crows is so bad.

Oh damn. The finale was fantastic. Some pretty clever 4th wall breaking. You were right Peng, sticks the landing is a good way to put it. Makes me smile when even the show recognizes how fruitless the Rick backstory is, but hey, this is what fans have been clamoring over. Heh.

Hard binging like four eps in. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12