View Poll Results: Here we go

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • An Improvemente

10 90.91%
  • Still Bad

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zack Snyder's Justice League (Implied)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Zack Snyder's Justice League (Implied)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I watched the three hour cut of Batman v Superman last night (with the family) to prepare for this. I was surprised my parents hung in through the whole thing. I wonder if they will be able to withstand an extra hour tonight.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

WAit, WTF. THe entire film is presented in 4:3? No wonder all the promos were shown in that format.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    WAit, WTF. THe entire film is presented in 4:3? No wonder all the promos were shown in that format.
    Formatted for IMAX. It'll probably land in IMAX theaters when the pandemic slows down.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Formatted for IMAX. It'll probably land in IMAX theaters when the pandemic slows down.
    Theyve already had some IMAX screenings.

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece or best of DCEU (hell I'm not even rating it yet), but I will say this: there is a pretty sizable gap in quality between this and the theatrical version. A shocking gap, at times. Ill need to watch it again to balance out...how far this is from the theatrical so I dont overrate it. Its def not like perfect, but fucking hell is it better. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend.

Duke I know you said sure, 4 hr can give any movie more time to setup shit and backstory characters...I dont disagree with your core point (that most filmmakers arent given such runtime), but I also feel like a standard runtime is a thing that should go away. It's a standard developed by moneymakers to cram as many showings in a day, not an artistic storytelling choice. Will it always work? Of course not! Live by the sword, die by the sword, but I'd rather have the artist's vision than a restricted one built by the money people.
    Last edited by Skitch; 03-19-2021 at 02:40 AM.

I watched the first 2 hours last night. Really annoyed with every scene being in slow motion; no fucking wonder it's 4 hours long.

Like, the entire Amazon escape sequence is in slow motion, vs Whedon who plays it fast and straight. And with Synder, it takes fucking FOREVER to play out. So when Hippolyta is sliding under the rock, it looks and feels like an eternity.

That being said... it finally makes sense why Steppenwolf was integrating the humans for the last mother box. In the original cut, he boom tubed directly to the Amazon and Atlantis ones... but for some reason didn't know where the third one was. Now... with more information.. it all makes sense.

Batman feels much less inept in this cut too. There's a sequence where Cyborg attacks Steppenwolf, followed by Batman and the Flash... and it plays out rather nicely with some good hand to hand combat from Bats and the Flash helping people escape. In the original cut, Batman was just kinda there.

The first half really does abuse the slow-mo, even for Snyder. Second half isn't as bad in that respect.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

"Reaadddddyyyy the haaaaammmmmmerrrrrrrssssss!!!! "
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

That shot of the Flash [
    ] is super boss.

--Homer

I thought the Flash stuff (especially in the second half) was really good. With Aquaman I thought [
    ]

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    That shot of the Flash [
    ] is super boss.
    Along with the dodging the parademon's gunshots. Yeh, there was a lot of good stuff cut from the theatrical version.

Also, a lot of stuff removed; all the wonder woman ass shots. People are really giving it to Whedon on twitter.

I'm trying to deduce what was newly (physically) shot. Snyder said he didn't use a frame of Joss, and all of his new filmed stuff totaled about 4 minutes. The rest (other than effects shots) already existed.

[
    ]
    Last edited by Skitch; 03-19-2021 at 06:39 PM.

My thoughts echo skitch’s. Not a masterpiece, but far better than the Charlie Foxtrot that the theatrical version was. I’m shockingly impressed that I went from being completely annoyed by the Flash to liking him in the finale. I’ll check it out again when the basement is done, but I’ll give this a thumbs up, and that surprises me.
    Last edited by Scar; 03-20-2021 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

This had to have been some kind of minor dig at Whedon, right?

[]

--Homer

I think it depends when it was shot. Theres plenty of "splash pages" in the film (as others have noted long before me), it's not impossible it was more an homage to Joss...before he came in and fucked it all up

Just finished this, and at the risk of damning with faint praise, I have to say that at least it's somewhat better than Whedon's cut... but that's such an incredibly low bar to clear in the first place, it really doesn't mean much. Yes, it's a more dramatic, fleshed-out experience than the original version was, and Snyder does have a more striking personal aesthetic than Whedon, but he's still a mixed bag of an auteur, putting in the most obvious needle drops, desaturating the look of the film to an almost absurd length (no wonder the poster for this version is in black-&-white), and insisting on making everything feel as grim and over-dramatic as he possibly can, which lessens the overall impact the film should've had. Plus, it turns out indulging him with an over-extended four hour runtime did nothing to correct his already poor grip on pacing and story structure, it only exacerbated it; who would've thought? I mean, I hate to sound like a glass half-empty type, as it's a decent film now, but just barely (and even then, that may be just because I can't help but compare it to the original version), and when the combined budget that WB & HBO spent on the different versions of this film make it the second most expensive movie ever made, and all that money, time, and public hooplah got us in the end was a barely decent film, and you can't help but wonder how many other, more worthy projects they could've spent it on, projects that lacked the franchise name recognition or the unreasonably rabid fanbase of this one.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 03-20-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Nah Stu I think you're spot on. If anything, I was entertained on the idea that this project ever came to fruition... And as the six chapters played out... I was awe struck by each beat.... So when we eventually get to the epilogue I really wanted to see how he would handle THAT story. It's really hard to defend this, but boy is the ending, if anything, a MAJOR improvement over the first film.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    This had to have been some kind of minor dig at Whedon, right?

[]
    This was the first thing I thought of.

... but boy is the ending, if anything, a MAJOR improvement over the first film.
    INDEED.

I still think Snyder has an awful eye for art direction.

Is Wayne Tower really a giant pitch black building with bat ears on top?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

The only Wayne Tower I recall in this universe is the one that gets destroyed at the beginning of Batman v Superman.

The only Wayne Tower I recall in this universe is the one that gets destroyed at the beginning of Batman v Superman.
    Yeah I was wondering that myself.

Saw a meme that showed a giant black Wayne Tower with bat ears on it, and wondered if they actually did that. Thought I'd ask.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Yeh that's fake. It's from Chris Nolan's movies and it's altered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast