5 83.33%

Thread: Saint Maud

Saint Maud

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I should probably drop this down some.

It's effective when it builds to what it's going for. It just chickens out by having the main character be a very unstable person, and nobody acknowledges the awkwardness one bit. [
    ]

Terrific last second shot though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I should probably drop this down some.

It's effective when it builds to what it's going for. It just chickens out by having the main character be a very unstable person, and nobody acknowledges the awkwardness one bit. [
    ]
    That seems to be a trend in certain A24 movies, because it reminds me of that moment in Hereditary ​when [
    ]
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 03-18-2021 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    That seems to be a trend in certain A24 movies, because it reminds me of that moment in Hereditary ​when [
    ]
    Yeah, Hereditary works for a while until it really goes off a deep end in the last half hour or so.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, Hereditary works for a while until it really goes off a deep end in the last half hour or so.
    Yeah, but it lost me a lot earlier than that to be honest, at about the halfway point during the scene with the [
    ]

I've lost so much respect for you guys.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I saw this (wow..) 18 months ago at TIFF (in a theatre! with other people!!) and even though I think Morfydd Clark gives a compelling performance and Rose Glass is clearly talented as a stylist and creator of atmosphere, I completely agree with you, E, that the film never quite seems to gain any traction with its intended tension by just making the protagonist so devoid of earthly reason or connection to emotional logic beyond what she feels through her religious fanatical delusions.

It absolutely did not work for me, but I've been happy that so many others have seemingly gotten so much out of it. I just wish I saw the same movie they did.

I do love Hereditary, though! At least its unreliable narrative you guys speak of only helped fueled its unsettling nature for me.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I saw this (wow..) 18 months ago at TIFF (in a theatre! with other people!!) and even though I think Morfydd Clark gives a compelling performance and Rose Glass is clearly talented as a stylist and creator of atmosphere, I completely agree with you, E, that the film never quite seems to gain any traction with its intended tension by just making the protagonist so devoid of earthly reason or connection to emotional logic beyond what she feels through her religious fanatical delusions.

It absolutely did not work for me, but I've been happy that so many others have seemingly gotten so much out of it. I just wish I saw the same movie they did.

I do love Hereditary, though! At least its unreliable narrative you guys speak of only helped fueled its unsettling nature for me.
    That's actually part of the reason why I didn't like it, particularly with the awkward way it tried juggling being a domestic-focused, "disintegrating family" Drama, and a Supernatural Horror movie at the same time. It's a potentially promising concept in theory, but in practice, one side undermined the other, like the way that...

[
    ]
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 03-20-2021 at 06:09 AM.

The main problem with Saint Maud is that for some reason it tries to make a half-arsed mystery about (cue scary strings!) "her past!" in that lazy indie fashion (gotta play keep away with the backstory lest the audience realize there is not much going on in the fore(?)story!)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    That's actually part of the reason why I didn't like it, particularly with the awkward way it tried juggling being a domestic-focused, "disintegrating family" Drama, and a Supernatural Horror movie at the same time. It's a potentially promising concept in theory, but in practice, one side undermined the other, like the way that...

[
    ]
    This is true. Like, I get that maybe the family obviously loves her and can accept her awkwardness, but figured something would come out of her showing up at a teenage party, but hardly anything's even mentioned, much less that some kid is there with drinking college kids wandering around.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is true. Like, I get that maybe the family obviously loves her and can accept her awkwardness, but figured something would come out of her showing up at a teenage party, but hardly anything's even mentioned, much less that some kid is there with drinking college kids wandering around.
    Yeah, plus, that's another example of a scene that suffered from Aster's direction, with the "ominous" shot of the...

[
    ]