• Nay

1 20.00%

Thread: Pieces of a Woman

Pieces of a Woman

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is a very good movie that I'll have an incredibly hard time to recommend to anyone. Going in blind was the best and worst thing to do.

The movie does contain the best performance I've seen this year in Vanessa Kirby. The first half hour is a level of performance that's probably in an echelon of its own. That portion is certainly the best piece of filmmaking that comes out from this year.

Afterwards, there's certainly some story decisions that just feel forced, and rather unnecessary. Much is also made of Burstyn's monologue which also crosses a line of melodrama that is close to eyeroll worthy.

It does wrap it up very well in the end, and will stand that this is one of the best movies of 2020.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is a very good movie that I'll have an incredibly hard time to recommend to anyone. Going in blind was the best and worst thing to do.

The movie does contain the best performance I've seen this year in Vanessa Kirby. The first half hour is a level of performance that's probably in an echelon of its own. That portion is certainly the best piece of filmmaking that comes out from this year.

Afterwards, there's certainly some story decisions that just feel forced, and rather unnecessary. Much is also made of Burstyn's monologue which also crosses a line of melodrama that is close to eyeroll worthy.

It does wrap it up very well in the end, and will stand that this is one of the best movies of 2020.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    That courtroom climax is the film in a nutshell, in which the sheer ridiculousness and suspension of disbelief required for such a pivotal scene just about breaks my brain, but the actors involved -- Kirby, Parker, Burstyn -- deliver such strong, intimate, and raw performances that I'm still moved nonetheless. A case of actors rising above often risible script and taking the film up with them. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    That courtroom climax is the film in a nutshell, in which the sheer ridiculousness and suspension of disbelief required for such a pivotal scene just about breaks my brain, but the actors involved -- Kirby, Parker, Burstyn -- deliver such strong, intimate, and raw performances that I'm still moved nonetheless. A case of actors rising above often risible script and taking the film up with them. 6/10
    The court scene before the break worked. Afterwards, I was certainly the same way. Fantastic acting, but wtf??? Same thing basically derailed Big Little Lies.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Everyone is ok in this but its all too mannered and expected to be enjoyable. Piano music playing while it snows, icy waters and bridges, cigarette smoking, I get it. Just never got to a place where it felt compelling and meaningful. Loveless from a few years ago did this kind of grief-stricken relationship drama so much better.

I thought this was very good, actually. I'd be happy if this movie ever becomes influential enough to diminish the whole home birth nonsense. This is at least becoming famous for its opening long take which is excruciating and very difficult to watch, although one thing bugs me to no end - the shot of the baby where she's... not covered in blood? At all? That alone ruined the intended realism of the scene for me. But the long take is not just a filmmaking exercise - it paves the way for the movie to come, as it goes a long way to explain every nuance of Vanessa Kirby's performance as she becomes more numb and alienated from everyone else.

I agree that the final courtroom scene requires a large suspension of disbelief but the cast sells it quite well.