Dir. Jodie Mack

IMDb page
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

This was a mubi release earlier in the year, I actually thought I made a thread for this already but I guess I forgot. I'm not really familiar with Mack, I saw one of her short films at TIFF a couple years back and now this, but I really enjoy her approach to materials and use of stop-motion animation. The Grand Bizarre in particular has really great editing and overall rhythm, and an equally playful soundscape, and it uses textiles in a really fascinating (and entertaining!) way to explore the patterns of globalization. It's a big yay, really enjoyable.

Producer
    Through arresting soundtrack (skype noise warbling at one point), colorful images, and dazzling editing, Jodie Mack has crafted her own rhythm of intensive stop-motion filmmaking labor, as a stand-in for larger industry of human labor in general. But above all, the film is just a playful, exuberant, ear- and eye-pleasing experience, with what Mack accomplishes here giving me mental image of a wondrous one-woman conducting band. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I saw one of her short films at TIFF a couple years back
    Is it Dusty Stacks? Both it and The Grand Bizarre are on youtube at the moment and I've been meaning to get around to the former (maybe her second most famous one apart from this feature) one of these days.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Both it and The Grand Bizarre are on youtube at the moment
    Thank you for pointing this out. Sometimes certain hard-to-find movies are right under your nose.

First impression of opening credits: how does one person gain access to so much fabric, and music in 11/8 time shouldn't slap this hard.

This was an absolute joy. Playful, colorful, even funny at times. It encouraged in me a deep appreciation for something (textiles, prints, etc.) I don't have a habit of noticing in my everyday life, which in turn encouraged me, on a broader scale, to question why I don't appreciate certain beautiful things ("the small things," one might say). It's a little long for a movie of its type, but the sound design helps immensely in ushering it along. Seriously, the music is fantastic, an electronic orchestra of found sound reminiscent of Herbert or Matmos. The Brakhage-style ending (thinking mainly of Mothlight) had me in a submissive daze, but epileptics beware.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Is it Dusty Stacks? Both it and The Grand Bizarre are on youtube at the moment and I've been meaning to get around to the former (maybe her second most famous one apart from this feature) one of these days.
    No, it was Hoarders Without Borders, in which she catalogues an archive of minerals as a rapid-fire montage. I'll look up Dusty Stacks, though, thanks for the tip.