Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    3-1/2 hours of Japanese people describing how much they hate Skitch. And Akira.
    It's a convention of Japanese horror movies for the characters to say, "スキッチとアキラが嫌いですよ," and then cover their mouths and giggle.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Kwaidan and M are both great. As fantastic as 2001 is you have to read the book, too, since it is a fine companion piece and explains some things further.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

After putting it off my entire life, I went with West Side Story for week five. I don't often fall for film adaptations of plays or Broadway musicals, but I gotta hand it to Robert Wise and company -- this thing was cinematic as hell: snappy editing, playful camera movement/placement (those low-angle shots!), and cinematography so unabashedly colorful it's almost psychedelic (favorite moment: when Tony and Maria first lock eyes, everything else begins to blur until soon enough the lovers appear to be dancing in the black vacuum of space, with droplets of color trickling down around them). Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim prove why they enjoy legendary status. Bernstein's compositions are surprisingly odd/difficult to perform (it's telling that the musical's most famous song, "Maria," utilizes the notoriously unpopular tritone interval, and I was flabbergasted by the largely atonal "Cool"), while Sondheim's lyrics inject no small amount of cutting social commentary (most notably "America," which has aged wonderfully, and "Gee, Officer Krupke," which sadly has not). The choreography feels as natural as can be, which is impressive considering all the dance-fighting. The ensemble is perfectly in sync. Most impressive is Rita Moreno, who steals every scene she's in (and, I discovered, won the supporting actress Oscar that year). Kind of a dud of an ending, sadly. And it's shame about the brown face. But overall I'm kicking myself for putting it off so long. Four stars.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Wow that was a first watch for you? Epic.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I have never seen West Side Story and it honestly doesn't appeal to me at all.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I hear you meg. It's one of those stone-cold classics I've had little to no interest in seeing. But this week I embraced the "challenge" part of the thread, and I'm glad I did.

In unrelated news, I just watched that American Dad clip five times in a row.

EDIT: Make that eight times.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 02-05-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Me either.

... this was me before I saw it in a theater. It is magic.

You don't like entertaining movies?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    You don't like entertaining movies?
    Not the biggest fan of musicals. Let alone ones that push 3 hours in length.

When my folks watch My Fair Lady, I would rather sit in a dark silent room.

"Entertaining" is subjective.

I don't know the how or why it became a thing that people randomly breaking into song and dance and all knowing the words to song theyre inventing was normal. Its bizarre to me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    "Entertaining" is subjective.

I don't know the how or why it became a thing that people randomly breaking into song and dance and all knowing the words to song theyre inventing was normal. Its bizarre to me.
    That doesn't bother me at all. To me that's the same leap you have to make watching Superman movies. It's impossible in 9000000 ways, so you just have to accept the logic or don't.

My problem is more that every musical I've ever seen has 2 or 3 good songs, and the rest I want to skip entirely.

So a 2-1/2 hour musical with that ratio of good/bad music is like, a waste of 2 + hours.
    Last edited by megladon8; 02-05-2021 at 02:39 PM.

It could also be that my sister used to watch Grease 5 times a day while singing along and dancing in front of the screen and I wanted to burn the house down.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I hear you meg. It's one of those stone-cold classics I've had little to no interest in seeing. But this week I embraced the "challenge" part of the thread, and I'm glad I did.

In unrelated news, I just watched that American Dad clip five times in a row.

EDIT: Make that eight times.
    If it's one two things I love about Seth McFarlane, it's his commitment to a bit, and his appreciation for music.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hilarious. Even when I'm not laughing, he doesn't stop until I give in.

One could say Mcfarlane...insists upon himself.

West Side Story is better than most musicals because it has murder in it.

The Rose is the perfect song for that bit because it's super cheeseball but still a great song. It plays during the credits of Only Yesterday and I tear up every time.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It could also be that my sister used to watch Grease 5 times a day while singing along and dancing in front of the screen and I wanted to burn the house down.
    I pity you my friend. The day may come when I sit down and watch Grease front-to-back for the first time, but today is not that day.

Its awful. I was ranting about it years ago and my daughter said "but what if I'm in musical Grease for school?" I said "I'll come support you and on that day you will know the depth of my love for you."

The sacrifices we make for our kids... I declare you a truly noble man.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If it's one two things I love about Seth McFarlane, it's his commitment to a bit, and his appreciation for music.

Heck yeah:

5. The Lacemaker - 7/10 - Starring Isabelle Huppert
    A very subtle story of a young woman finding love while tagging along with her heartbroken friend on vacation. She's quiet, shy... goes along with whats happening around her. The compelling details come when conflict arises. Isabelle Huppert is her typical wonderful self, being captivating in every frame til the very end.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    5. The Lacemaker - 7/10 - Starring Isabelle Huppert
    A very subtle story of a young woman finding love while tagging along with her heartbroken friend on vacation. She's quiet, shy... goes along with whats happening around her. The compelling details come when conflict arises. Isabelle Huppert is her typical wonderful self, being captivating in every frame til the very end.
    Never even heard of that, but I must check it out. Really enjoy a good romance. Maybe I will watch this one for Romance week.

Never even heard of that, but I must check it out. Really enjoy a good romance. Maybe I will watch this one for Romance week.
    Its more of a relationship drama than a romance. I went for it because I'd never heard of it, luckily despite it not streaming anywhere, found it on youtube in decent quality. Subtitles are ok, not exactly perfect, but your brain can figure out what they're actually saying easily.
    https://youtu.be/pDMkBGOxfo8

This morning I saw the 4k restoration of silence of the lambs. Criterion did a Stellar job. Much better than the old blu-ray. Ordered Great Escape too.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]