Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Didn't really want to advertise it.

Seriously guys, appreciate the support, but I wasn't attention seeking with my response to baby doll.

I was honestly just sort of "thinking out loud" about how and why that movie didn't work for me.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Catching up on 2020 movies and Sundance. Once I have that list crossed over, I'll play catch up, cause there's probably not a worthy 2021 movie for a while.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was pretty surprised looking at the list of Criterion laserdiscs.

I was expecting it to be like, 20 titles to choose from.

There's well over 300!

There's an Akira criterion that I'm dying to get, but its always more than I want to spend.

Edit: Maybe its not a criterion. huh. I can't seem to find it. Well at any rate, I want an Akira laserdisc

Edit 2: oh wait, there it is. It does exist.
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-27-2021 at 09:51 PM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I was pretty surprised looking at the list of Criterion laserdiscs.

I was expecting it to be like, 20 titles to choose from.

There's well over 300!
    Same here. It's crazy.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

So we might bend the rules slightly for this week's entry (LaserDisc).

Jen has never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. With our new massive TV I think it's the perfect time.

I have seen it (many times) but it has been at least 10 years.

So we might bend the rules slightly for this week's entry (LaserDisc).

Jen has never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. With our new massive TV I think it's the perfect time.

I have seen it (many times) but it has been at least 10 years.
    OH WOW

And by bending the rules, I just mean with the fact that it's a repeat viewing for me.

I was surprised that most of Kubrick's films are on Criterjon laserdisc.

Anyone else going to be watching a Godard?

Also, got this week and next mixed up. This week is horror, next is released on Laserdisc.

I went with Kwaidan for week four. It's an anthology of four short films about ghosts, adapted from Japanese folk tales. Similar to Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri, I was immediately enamored with the craft: elegant tracking shots lend a tangible sense of space to the theatrical set design, with the backdrops in particular leaning heavily into an artificiality which draws the eye and -- in the case of the second short, "The Woman of the Snow," in which the deep red-orange swirls of sunset resemble a hurricane, or possibly an all-seeing apparition -- lends the whole thing an uncanny quality that ever-so-slowly managed to thoroughly creep me out. The sound design too is remarkable; it seems to me the Japanese understand best how a musical note, or human shriek, gains impact from a surrounding quiet. I'll be on the lookout for Kobayashi's Samurai Rebellion next, and save the ten-hour Human Condition trilogy for another day. This dude is the real deal. Four stars.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I went with Kwaidan for week four. It's an anthology of four short films about ghosts, adapted from Japanese folk tales. Similar to Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri, I was immediately enamored with the craft: elegant tracking shots lend a tangible sense of space to the theatrical set design, with the backdrops in particular leaning heavily into an artificiality which draws the eye and -- in the case of the second short, "The Woman of the Snow," in which the deep red-orange swirls of sunset resemble a hurricane, or possibly an all-seeing apparition -- lends the whole thing an uncanny quality that ever-so-slowly managed to thoroughly creep me out. The sound design too is remarkable; it seems to me the Japanese understand best how a musical note, or human shriek, gains impact from a surrounding quiet. I'll be on the lookout for Kobayashi's Samurai Rebellion next, and save the ten-hour Human Condition trilogy for another day. This dude is the real deal. Four stars.
    Black River and The Inheritance are also great.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

4. Mad Love (1935) - 6/10 - Peter Lorre being a creepy, obsessive fucker for just about an hour. Great idea for a simple horror structure with enough impact in the brief runtime. Obviously left enough of an impression in history for other movies to be inspired by the material.

We watched 2001 last night. Jen had never seen it, and I hadn't seen it in 10+ years.

Easily the best viewing of it I have had, and Jen was astounded. We have already spent well over an hour discussing, dissecting and speculating.

Just from an audio visual standpoint, the movie is almost second to none. I could play this on a computer and just have my finger constantly pressing the screencap key. My favorites were the images of the surface of the moon, and then passing by Jupiter and its moons.

Jen and I both commented on how we flat out don't understand how it is that many people find the movie boring. It has sections that move slowly, but it is far from ever being boring.

Our greatest conversation so far has been about the inciting incident with HAL - when HAL sends Dave out to repair a satellite on the ship, which ends up not being faulty at all. Did HAL make a mistake? Or was this part of some larger plan? I am inclined to think the former, that HAL made a mistake, then went homicidal in order to protect both its own existence and the mission. So, the only flaw(s) HAL had were the parts that were more man than machine.

I could write pages and pages about this film, but other much smarter and more eloquent people have already done so.

It's incredible.

They answer that question in the sequel. As I recall, HAL was programmed as the mission being the most important thing, so when he perceived the humans as a threat to his mission, he reacted to serve the mission.

Oh, and also, I agree with allllll the love. I still remember the first time I watched it. I was blown away. And every viewing since, even though I know I love it, I find something new to jaw gape over.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    They answer that question in the sequel. As I recall, HAL was programmed as the mission being the most important thing, so when he perceived the humans as a threat to his mission, he reacted to serve the mission.

Oh, and also, I agree with allllll the love. I still remember the first time I watched it. I was blown away. And every viewing since, even though I know I love it, I find something new to jaw gape over.
    I can't believe the level of detail in the effects. When space ships fly past the camera and we can see in the windows, people working and computer monitors and such.

The movie looks better than 99% if what comes out today. Even the stuff that is a touch clunky/aged looks a million times better than bad CGI.

The floating pen is still amazing.

Oh and tonight Jen and I will be watching The Uninvited for our horror entry.

IS - I have owned Kwaidan for about 15 years but still havent seen it. I know Jen has (that's why she bought it for me). We must get around to it at some point. I'm especially intrigued by your saying how genuinely creepy it is.

ZE - I've never even heard of that one. Have you seen M?

Yup, M is great

I think I own a non-Criterion Kwaidan that I also have owned for over a decade and not watched lol.

M is great. That Criterion dvd I do own.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Yup, M is great
    Was surprised by how icky Lorre was allowed to be in the role.

I guess I often (wrongly) assume that movies from that period will always play things safe.

I get why it might be hard to pull the trigger on Kwaidan. It's over three hours long. That's why this challenge is cool -- it gives me incentive to watch something I may have been sitting on for a while. (Being an anthology, Kwaidan splits nicely in half by the way.)

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I get why it might be hard to pull the trigger on Kwaidan. It's over three hours long. That's why this challenge is cool -- it gives me incentive to watch something I may have been sitting on for a while. (Being an anthology, Kwaidan splits nicely in half by the way.)
    I didn't realize it was that long!

Man, I love horror anthologies.

I honestly don't know a single thing about that movie. Runtime, plot, nothing.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I honestly don't know a single thing about that movie. Runtime, plot, nothing.
    3-1/2 hours of Japanese people describing how much they hate Skitch. And Akira.

3-1/2 hours of Japanese people describing how much they hate Skitch. And Akira.
    and in the vault it shall remain, unwatched. I can take the heat, but you leave Akira alone, fuckers.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast