Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Well dang, I can't pass on Kiss Me Deadly now.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Well dang, I can't pass on Kiss Me Deadly now.
    Streetwise is pretty amazing - but it's not Black and White (were you thinking of the excellent Side Street?). KMD has some horror elements...
    Last Excellent Movie Seen For the Very First Time:
    Streetwise (1984, Martin Bell)
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Streetwise is pretty amazing - but it's not Black and White (were you thinking of the excellent Side Street?). KMD has some horror elements...
    Oh! I assumed it was b&w based on the poster and LB banner. I'll get to it eventually.

Turns out Kiss Me Deadly is not currently available to stream.

30. Black and white -- Kuroneko. Cool movie. Stark b&w cinematography and plenty of neat special effects. Easily one of the most Noh-inspired movies I've ever seen, yet the camera is more mobile than that might suggest. It's the type of movie you silently play in the background of a party or late-night ramen bar to add some ambiance. The chilling story would kill around a campfire, but the way Shindo's Onibaba developed narratively and drew out its symbolism made that film far better suited to feature length. Three stars.

Next up: Directed by Charlie Chaplin. Going with Monsieur Verdoux.

Turns out Kiss Me Deadly is not currently available to stream...
    That's too bad! I saw it on 9/25 and marked it as being watched on Prime - assuming that's right, they must have removed it at the end of the month. You really need to see it!

one of reviews on LB: My first impulse is to say, rather improbably, "I've never seen anything quite like that"

I have a DVD - are you in Chicago?
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 10-12-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Last Excellent Movie Seen For the Very First Time:
    Streetwise (1984, Martin Bell)
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I have a DVD - are you in Chicago?
    I visit from time to time, but no. I'm in Tennessee. I appreciate your willingness to help me out though! My gut says it'll be available to stream/rent in the near future -- on the Criterion Channel if nowhere else.

After Monsieur Verdoux I'll be totally lost once again in choosing a film from the Godzilla box set. Gonna double check bacon's Godzilla thread, but if anyone has any tips on what to watch aside from the original...

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    I'm going to keep my list in this post:

Week 1 - 1984 - Love Streams*** - watched January 8
    Week 2 - Directed by Akira Kurosawa - Kagemusha*** - watched January 15
    Week 3 - Directed by Jean-Luc Godard - Pierrot le fou** - watched January 23
    Week 4 - Horror - The Devil's Backbone*** - watched January 31
    Week 5 - Released on Laserdisc - Three Cases of Murder** - watched February 3
    Week 6 - Made in Spain - Spirit of the Beehive*** - watched February 13
    Week 7 - Wes Anderson's Top 10 - The Earrings of Madame de...**** - watched February 20
    Week 8 - Romance - The Age of Innocence*** - watched February 28
    Week 9 - A silent film - The Phantom Carriage**** - watched March 6
    Week 10 - 1920s - Lonesome** - watched March 10
    Week 11 - 1930s - La Bęte humaine*** - watched March 15
    Week 12 - 1940s - Le Corbeau**** - watched March 23
    Week 13 - 1950s - Le Plaisir*** - watched April 1
    Week 14 - 1960s - When a Woman Ascends the Stairs*** - watched April 12
    Week 15 - 1970s - Don't Look Now** - watched April 17
    Week 16 - 1980s - Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters** - watched April 23
    Week 17 - 1990s - Safe** - watched April 30
    Week 18 - 2000s - Bamboozled** - watched May 6
    Week 19 - 2010s - Parasite*** - watched May 16
    Week 20 - Directed by a woman - The Virgin Suicides** - watched May 23
    Week 21 - A film featured in the "Pioneers of African American Cinema" series - Dirty Gertie from Harlem U.S.A.** - watched May 29
    Week 22 - Documentary - Hoop Dreams**** - watched June 5
    Week 23 - Comedy - Mon oncle*** - watched June 13
    Week 24 - Any film on The Criterion Channel - Summertime** - watched June 25
    Week 25 - Martin Scorsese's Top 10 - Ugetsu*** - watched July 2
    Week 26 - Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni - Blow-up**** - watched July 3
    Week 27 - Directed by Federico Fellini - La Strada*** - watched August 25
    Week 28 - The Merchant Ivory Collection - The Ballad of the Sad Cafe* - watched July 16
    Week 29 - Oscar Winners - Great Expectations*** - watched August 2
    Week 30 - Black and white - Au hasard Balthazar*** - watched August 7
    Week 31 - Directed by Charlie Chaplin - Limelight*** - watched August 5
    Week 32 - Watch any film featured in the Godzilla Boxset - Godzilla** - watched August 14
    Week 33 - Western - Dead Man**** - watched August 19
    Week 34 - Made in Italy - I Vitelloni*** - watched August 24

Caught up again as of 8/25.
    Mr. M still killing it on page three, including a ruthless streak where he gave two stars to Don't Look Now, Mishima, Safe, and Bamboozled. I'm catching up though!

I visit from time to time, but no. I'm in Tennessee.
    You too??

31. Directed by Charlie Chaplin -- Monsieur Verdoux. It starts quite dark and frantic, like Uncut Gems by way of Ealing Studios -- but the end feels as though Chaplin is ensuring the audience not mistake him for the character he plays, and that sudden moralistic tone shift doesn't really work. Nevertheless, Chaplin is one of cinema's great icons, and the way he counts money or flips through a phone book is evidence enough of why. Three stars.

32. Watch any film featured in the Godzilla Boxset -- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Went with this in honor of MF Doom. Don't think this franchise is for me. Two stars.

Next up: Western. Choosing between My Darling Clementine, Red River, and Heaven's Gate. I would lean Heaven's Gate except the length makes it tough to cram into this time-sensitive challenge.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 10-15-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Next up: Western. Choosing between My Darling Clementine, Red River, and Heaven's Gate. I would lean Heaven's Gate except the length makes it tough to cram into this time-sensitive challenge.
    My Darling Clementine is great. Red River has some great scenes but it's never been one of my favourite Hawks films. After three viewings, Heaven's Gate is a film I find easier to admire than to love: it's so portentous and solemn and sepia-toned that I can't really get involved in the story. It's eminently worth seeing but far from the misunderstood masterpiece some folks have made it out to be.
    Just because...
    Julieta (Pedro Almodóvar, 2016) mild
    Flame and Woman (Yoshida Kiju, 1967) mild
    Sunset (László Nemes, 2018) warm

The last book I read was...
    Tristana by Benito Pérez Galdós

The (New) World

In that case I think I'll go Clementine.

Seems odd Criterion has released only seventeen westerns. I would've expected the number to be double or even triple that.

25. Ugetsu - men, amirite? Its beautifully shot and acted well, though unfortunately its a very familiar story of the failings of priorities that we’ve seen in cinema a number of times before. 7.5/10 … I get why Scorsese is a fan.

33. Western -- My Darling Clementine. Maybe I would be more into a version with better audio (rented via Amazon and the dialogue was super quiet, the gunshots hurt my ears, and the galloping horses sounded like distorted digital nonsense). Visually, however, it was frequently awesome. I can't remember the last time I was so taken with clouds. Some nice interiors as well, such as a starkly backlit hallway, or the not-quite-deep-focus shots right down the bar that add some juicy dimension to the saloon. People who love the story use the word "mythic" -- I, who did not love the story, will use the word "simplistic" (though I think we're trying to describe the same thing). Doc Holliday and Chihuahua had the best moments (especially the surgery). Earp was fine. Clementine was a total nothing character, with the actress sucking the life out of every scene she was in. A mild yay from me for the visuals and a spattering of strong scenes, but maybe my least favorite John Ford movie I've seen. Three stars.

Next up: a nice run of movies that has me excited.

34. Made in Italy -- Theorem
    35. Made in the Soviet Union -- Ivan's Childhood
    36. Made in India -- The Big City

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718