Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Deciding between True Stories, Streetwise, or breaking in my new WKW box set with As Tears Go By for week 16. I'm leaning True Stories...

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    It was my first time seeing it. I like the Cronenberg that I've watched, but I haven't seen too many:

Dead Ringers *****/*****
    Eastern Promises ****.5
    A History of Violence ****
    Videodrome ***.5
    A Dangerous Mind **

(I watched Existenz and Crash about two decades ago, so can't stand behind a rating)

Given that I've liked what I've seen, any recommendation on others?
    Given your ratings and what you've seen, I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of his early "venereal horror" stuff. Namely Shivers, Rabid, and The Brood!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Producer
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    my new WKW box set with As Tears Go By
    I've heard so much about this new transfer (and some outright changes) from this box set that, if you are able to find them, I would recommend you watch the original version first if you're watching any film from the box set for the first time.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I've heard so much about this new transfer (and some outright changes) from this box set that, if you are able to find them, I would recommend you watch the original version first if you're watching any film from the box set for the first time.
    Aside from As Tears Go By, I've seen all of them at least once. Coincidentally, As Tears Go By is the hardest to find, so when it comes down to it I don't have much of a choice.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    his early "venereal horror" stuff
    I think I'm good.

That's disappointing to hear...Criterion botched them?

That's not like them at all.

Peng may have a different viewpoint, but I wouldn't say at all that Criterion botched them. From the accounts I've read the remasters are gorgeous and WKW-approved -- but in some instances can differ to varying degrees from the original releases (aspect ratio, coloring, even editing).

Producer

It's changes from WKW himself. Some of them here (each one is a thread, with the second having Director's Note from WKW himself about the changes down the thread):

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    As for a few of the changes in his films I actually love that I've heard about:

Chungking Express - Adding gunshot sounds to its title card; Putting 'Dreams' over the famous coffee shot. (the latter one hurts my soul just reading about it)
    In the Mood for Love - Title card no longer in silence, although I don't remember what plays over it now.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Does Criterion not have a "pre-restoration" or "original" option for any of the films in the set?

This seems very surprising for them.

Darn maybe now I won't pick it up. There are a few films in the set I've never seen and was looking forward to first time viewings with the purchase.

Given your ratings and what you've seen, I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of his early "venereal horror" stuff. Namely Shivers, Rabid, and The Brood!
    See, this is a real gap in my viewing, but it's difficult to know where to start exploring venereal horror. I've wanted to see The Brood for a while. Let the wild rumpus begin!
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

See, this is a real gap in my viewing, but it's difficult to know where to start exploring venereal horror. I've wanted to see The Brood for a while. Let the wild rumpus begin!
    It's a good starting place, I'd say, because it maintains the bonkers weirdness of his earlier stuff, while also feeling a bit tighter and smoother around the edges.

I love Shivers and Rabid to death, but they are very rough. Very indie, acting isn't great, some clear guerilla filmmaking going on. Much more B grade than what he started to produce with The Brood and going forward.

And obviously you must see Scanners. The Criterion BluRay is gorgeous.

I went with True Stories for week 16. What an odd little movie. Colorful, humorous, and well-mannered (even in its quirkier moments -- think Wes Anderson), with plenty of good music throughout but very little glue holding everything together. A satirical church sermon becomes a satirical fashion show becomes a satirical television program, with David Byrne introducing it all as if he's making a documentary for alien visitors. I had a smile on my face the entire time -- in the end what's not to like? There's no compelling central narrative (despite John Goodman's valiant effort), so not a lot to love either. Three stars.

So, we are quite far behind, but I am still loving this thread and challenge and thank everyone for continuing to be engaged

Last night we watched In the Mood for Love for week 8 (Romance).

And...wow...

This was Jen's first viewing, and while it was technically my second, the first time I saw it was when it first came out 21 years ago (ouch...). I remembered absolutely nothing except for loving it, so it was like watching it again for the first time.

I'm sure there's nothing I can say about this that hasn't been said a million times over, because it is so well regarded and rightfully so.

But man oh man. One of the greatest on screen romances ever. Visually luscious, it's another where I want to watch it on a computer and just have my finger on the screen cap key the whole time. So many shots became iconic immediately when it was released (I still remember so many from RT days).

Leung and Cheung have chemistry that cuts the soul. The motif of their hands and fingers playing this will-they-won't-they dance, the tension between them each time they pas each other on the stairs. I can't imagine watching this film and not swooning. It is so sexy, romantic, lush.

I feel like WKW doesn't get enough recognition for what he does with the camera itself. Every shot is interesting. There is always a unique and beautiful way used to frame the scene, whether it be use of mirrors, walls, peripheral characters.

We both loved it more than we could put into words, and fully intend to rewatch it soon.

This could end up sneaking its way into my all time favorites list.

Just wonderful.
    Last edited by megladon8; 04-26-2021 at 07:09 PM.

I feel like WKW doesn't get enough recognition for what he does with the camera itself. Every shot is interesting. There is always a unique and beautiful way used to frame the scene, whether it be use of mirrors, walls, peripheral characters.
    I am so glad to hear this held up! I haven't seen it in about a decade, but if I were to make a favorite 50 films list or something I'd definitely have to revisit. One thing that I love about WKW is his vision for compelling frames. So often (especially his pre-00s output) there was a sense of cinematic possibility and beauty about his work that is, simply put, inspiring.

The Last Duel - ***

Bruce Lee - Part 2
    I watched Fist of Fury and was pretty underwhelmed, outside of the fights at the end, and the damn carriage toss.

I will say, and I haven't seen Mortal Kombat, but is there a current action fighter star that actually does fights? The last I can think of is Tony Jaa. I could easily be out of the loop on this, but genuinely curious. Would be odd to think of how martial art movies (again, maybe Mortal Kombat, but there's a strong lack of them) don't exist because there aren't many actor-fighters out there that do the choreography. Or maybe directors that don't know how to shoot fighting. Or both?

I smoked a joint earlier, alright?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott Adkins.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Scott Adkins.
    Someone once told me he looks more like Ben Affleck's brother than Casey does, and now it's all I can see.

He does a youtube show where he interviews other martial artists/actors, and its really good (if youre into that stuff). Scott is a terrifying martial artist. I love it when hes a good guy, I don't like it as much when he plays bad. Thats a ridiculous opinion, but its my feels, man.

Last night we watched Fiend Without a Face for week 13.

It was a great time, and definitely ranks among the best of the 50s sci fi horror creature features I've seen.

A decent little political commentary, to boot. With American military moving in to a foreign country (in this case the far away land of Canada) and doing whatever the hell they want despite the protests of both the foreign government and citizens. Not listening to absolutely everyone and everything telling them that what they're doing is wrong and is responsible for the mysterious deaths occurring around the base and neighboring town.

Even more hilarious is their portrayal of Canadians and the way the Americans talk about them. So many lines about "these are a simple and superstitious people!". Showing them living like 1700s dirt farmers. Great, hilarious stuff.

The creature effects are awesome. Stop motion, primitive animatronics, camera trickery. Does it look clunky? Yes. But I love it. And I will still take this stuff over undercooked modern day CGI ANY day.

Was so happy to find this on The Criterion Channel. It's one I've wanted to see for many years, but didn't want to spring spring $60+ to blind buy it.

"Week 1" - 1984 Criterion Inception release
    Under the Volcano

Unique, interesting movie that had to be therapeutic for John Huston in his penultimate movie.

There's A LOT of meandering in the first half, but once the cast gets settled in, it stays pretty interesting from thereon. Finney steps up for a tough role in having to play drunk for the entirety of the movie, and Bisit is also good as someone hoping to cure him.

Tough to watch these kind of movies that center around an alcoholic that is beyond recovery, but the unique setting (Day of the Dead, just prior to World War II, in Mexico) makes it worth the watch.

VERY odd last scene though....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    "Week 1" - 1984 Criterion Inception release
    Under the Volcano

Unique, interesting movie that had to be therapeutic for John Huston in his penultimate movie.

There's A LOT of meandering in the first half, but once the cast gets settled in, it stays pretty interesting from thereon. Finney steps up for a tough role in having to play drunk for the entirety of the movie, and Bisit is also good as someone hoping to cure him.

Tough to watch these kind of movies that center around an alcoholic that is beyond recovery, but the unique setting (Day of the Dead, just prior to World War II, in Mexico) makes it worth the watch.

VERY odd last scene though....
    Appreciate your thoughts on this. It is a very difficult film to watch and would probably be unbearable without Finney's bulletproof performance. I definitely agree about the setting. Houston captures the chaotic and disorienting world of a man just conscious enough to realize that he's dying... on the day of the dead. The book is excellent, but possibly harder to get through. The author manages to put you even more into Firmin's distorted head, as well as flesh out some of the characters who are fairly one-dimensional in the film if I remember correctly.

The Last Duel - ***

Appreciate your thoughts on this. It is a very difficult film to watch and would probably be unbearable without Finney's bulletproof performance. I definitely agree about the setting. Houston captures the chaotic and disorienting world of a man just conscious enough to realize that he's dying... on the day of the dead. The book is excellent, but possibly harder to get through. The author manages to put you even more into Firmin's distorted head, as well as flesh out some of the characters who are fairly one-dimensional in the film if I remember correctly.
    Yeah, outside of the main three, the characters are all pretty much cardboard cutouts, fit to serve the primary cast. The casting of the pimp is certainly unique though!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

We very nearly watched that one for week 1. It was a toss up between that and The Hit.

So we watched Blood Simple.

As for a few of the changes in his films I actually love that I've heard about:

Chungking Express - Adding gunshot sounds to its title card; Putting 'Dreams' over the famous coffee shot. (the latter one hurts my soul just reading about it)
    Surprised to see this mentioned as I'm about to leave on a trip and wanted to see this tonight but I only have it on a crappy DVD (which I just pulled out today) but Prime doesn't have it anywhere.

So where can I see this in a higher resolution? Criterion?
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 04-30-2021 at 01:37 AM.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast