Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    14. The Color of Pomegranates (1969) - A film I've actually had a guy on a date tell me he wanted to watch with me.
    That's one way to take your relationship to the next level.

The Criterion Challenge 2021 — BUT IN ONE WEEK

Is this even mathematically possible?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    That's one way to take your relationship to the next level.
    That first date was good, but the second date he was very desperate and I was severely turned off. Mess!

Both of your 60s picks have me super intrigued.

I've always been aware of both of then peripherally, but know absolutely nothing about them.

Going to suggest both of them to Jen for when we get there.

Apologies for falling behind. The new lockdown here has had work consuming my life so Jen and I have been watching a lot of series' and comfort food stuff.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Deciding between Roma, Lady Snowblood, A Poem is a Naked Person, Manila in the Claws of Light, and Harlan County USA for week 15. I'm leaning Roma...

Deciding between Roma, Lady Snowblood, A Poem is a Naked Person, Manila in the Claws of Light, and Harlan County USA for week 15. I'm leaning Roma...
    If you choose something other than Lady Snowblood I'm banning you from the thread.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    If you choose something other than Lady Snowblood I'm banning you from the thread.
    Motion seconded

You leave me no other choice...

You leave me no other choice...
    Followed up by tomorrow you posting about Roma.

I'll be honest, I'm not eagerly anticipating Roma but through some Netflix DVD mishaps the blu-ray ended up on my shelf.

I'll be honest, I'm not eagerly anticipating Roma but through some Netflix DVD mishaps the blu-ray ended up on my shelf.
    You should totally anticipate Roma, it's kind of bonkers and a lot of fun. I mean, it is Felling playing fast and loose with the form, plus it looks fantastic. It'd be a solid ****/***** for me.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    You should totally anticipate Roma, it's kind of bonkers and a lot of fun. I mean, it is Felling playing fast and loose with the form, plus it looks fantastic. It'd be a solid ****/***** for me.
    Love your avatar, BTW.

Which Roma, the good one or the CuarĂ³n?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Bwahaha. I like the CuarĂ³n, but this is well put.

Love your avatar, BTW.
    Thanks! I actually watched Videodrome because of the Criterion Challenge. I'm hoping to catch up in May.

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Oh snap!

[
    ]

Bwahaha. I like the CuarĂ³n, but this is well put.

Thanks! I actually watched Videodrome because of the Criterion Challenge. I'm hoping to catch up in May.
    Was it your first time seeing it? Have you watched a lot of Cronenberg?

So how was Lady Snowblood, IS?

Was it your first time seeing it? Have you watched a lot of Cronenberg?
    It was my first time seeing it. I like the Cronenberg that I've watched, but I haven't seen too many:

Dead Ringers *****/*****
    Eastern Promises ****.5
    A History of Violence ****
    Videodrome ***.5
    A Dangerous Mind **

(I watched Existenz and Crash about two decades ago, so can't stand behind a rating)

Given that I've liked what I've seen, any recommendation on others?

The Last Duel - ***

So how was Lady Snowblood, IS?
    Very enjoyable. I guess the worst part of Kill Bill is now I can never see Lady Snowblood without comparing/contrasting.

Begins and ends with all the glorious blood-splattered melodrama you could hope for, but a long flashback, an uneventful “Chapter Two,” yet another flashback, and then the shockingly late introduction of a weak-but-key character all conspire to bog down the middle of the film, making us wait impatiently for “the good parts.” Still, even the slower bits benefit from quirky editing choices (freeze frames, intercutting, short snippets of animation), Fujita’s mobile camera (dude loves his quick-zoom close-ups), and a supremely plushy soundtrack befitting the times. (Theme song “Flower of Carnage,” sung by Meiko Kaji herself, is wonderful -- I instantly recognized it from O-Ren Ishii’s death scene in Kill Bill, a very cheeky move. Speaking of Tarantino, his smartest decision with his homage was to hire Yuen Woo-ping, differentiating himself through fight choreography if nothing else.)

Favorite parts: intro/ending credits doused in red, the hanging bifurcation, and when the guy says, “You’ve got the wrong guy! I’m an elementary school teacher!” Then is stabbed multiple times and while dying from massive blood loss exclaims, “This is an outrage!” Three stars.

Dead Ringers *****/*****
    MY MAN

15. Thomasine and Bushrod (1974) - Blaxploitation era western- part romance, part road/robbery picture, all while providing relevant criticism of white supremacy. Really dug it. 7/10

It was my first time seeing it. I like the Cronenberg that I've watched, but I haven't seen too many:

Dead Ringers *****/*****
    Eastern Promises ****.5
    A History of Violence ****
    Videodrome ***.5
    A Dangerous Mind **

(I watched Existenz and Crash about two decades ago, so can't stand behind a rating)

Given that I've liked what I've seen, any recommendation on others?
    I think Crash is actually a lot better than its initial critical response when it was first released (which was very polarizing). One of those '90s films like Fire Walk with Me that I've done a 180 on after watching it again years after I first saw them.

I'd definitely watch THE FLY. Scanners is interesting, although I'd hesitate to call it a great film. Very early '80s aesthetics and kinda proto cyberpunk. I've heard good things about The Brood.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

16. Five Corners (1987) - Ew. A 60s nostalgia trip that feels icky and overwrought. Tim Robbins was definitely wasted- even poor Jodie Foster doesn’t have a lot to do other than compromise for her well-being and surround herself with shitty men. John Turturro throws his mother out a window. Executive Produced by George Harrison. Cinema. 3.5/10

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I think Crash is actually a lot better than its initial critical response when it was first released (which was very polarizing). One of those '90s films like Fire Walk with Me that I've done a 180 on after watching it again years after I first saw them.

I'd definitely watch THE FLY. Scanners is interesting, although I'd hesitate to call it a great film. Very early '80s aesthetics and kinda proto cyberpunk. I've heard good things about The Brood.
    Scanners, Crash, The Brood...I wouldn't call any of them great films, but I have a soft spot for what I call experimental cinema. In that, I tend to like a movie that tries something different or insane even if its not that great. I would say all three of those accomplish that.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I guess that gives me hope then, because I really disliked both of those the one time I saw them.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast