Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A Passion is one of Bergman's two or three best films.

Le Bonheur is one of Varda's very best. L'une chante, l'autre pas is good but not great.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    A Passion is one of Bergman's two or three best films.

Le Bonheur is one of Varda's very best. L'une chante, l'autre pas is good but not great.
    I went with the Baby Doll special on this one, with good results.

45. Directed by Ingmar Bergman -- The Passion of Anna. Everything you want and expect from late-60s Bergman is here: a legendary cast, probing characterization, and hefty doses of psychological violence centered around suffering, fear, and isolation. There are a few odd cinematic choices to spice things up as well, such as a fairly explicit sex scene spliced into the main story (but featuring none of the leads -- possibly a visualization of the novel Liv Ullmann's character is translating) and some quick, pseudo-behind-the-scenes interludes in which the four actors provide insight into the characters they depict (as if the DVD extras were accidentally placed within the film itself). What you may not want or expect is numerous counts of animal violence, and some curious narrative rhythms that skip over swathes of relationship development to get to the juiciest bits of confession and cruelty. It should've been longer -- or maybe it's actually beneficial to watch it, along with The Hour of the Wolf and Shame, as a real trilogy. I say good luck to anyone brave enough to do such a thing. Three stars.

46. Directed by Agnes Varda -- Le Bonheur. The "everyone's favorite artsy grandma" narrative that developed during Varda's twilight years belies just how subversive her films could be. This one is all vibrant colors and Mozart on the surface, brutal vivisection of pretty much all men underneath. Like when you look up from smelling the flowers just to realize you've been complicit in fueling a toxic patriarchy. Four stars.

Next up:
    47. Based on a book -- The Cloud-Capped Star or An Angel at My Table.
    48. Foreign-Language Oscar Winners -- I fell asleep in Roma. I guess it's time for a rewatch. Pretty slim pickins for me on this one.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 11-23-2021 at 10:17 PM.