Thread: MC's Criterion Challenge 2021 (by way of Letterboxd)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I visit from time to time, but no. I'm in Tennessee.
    You too??

31. Directed by Charlie Chaplin -- Monsieur Verdoux. It starts quite dark and frantic, like Uncut Gems by way of Ealing Studios -- but the end feels as though Chaplin is ensuring the audience not mistake him for the character he plays, and that sudden moralistic tone shift doesn't really work. Nevertheless, Chaplin is one of cinema's great icons, and the way he counts money or flips through a phone book is evidence enough of why. Three stars.

32. Watch any film featured in the Godzilla Boxset -- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Went with this in honor of MF Doom. Don't think this franchise is for me. Two stars.

Next up: Western. Choosing between My Darling Clementine, Red River, and Heaven's Gate. I would lean Heaven's Gate except the length makes it tough to cram into this time-sensitive challenge.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 10-15-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Next up: Western. Choosing between My Darling Clementine, Red River, and Heaven's Gate. I would lean Heaven's Gate except the length makes it tough to cram into this time-sensitive challenge.
    My Darling Clementine is great. Red River has some great scenes but it's never been one of my favourite Hawks films. After three viewings, Heaven's Gate is a film I find easier to admire than to love: it's so portentous and solemn and sepia-toned that I can't really get involved in the story. It's eminently worth seeing but far from the misunderstood masterpiece some folks have made it out to be.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World