Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Suppose I should start this up again.
    Yeah, I'd like to do a rewatch now, and imagine Carcetti as Littlefinger.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Dear David Simon,

If you want to go through multiple seasons and redeem the ethics of someone like Bode, can you please not have [
    ] That development was totally cold-hearted. Season 4 done. Masterful.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Finished. Just spent the last forty minutes reading through this thread and reliving so many powerful moments from the series. Wallace, D'Angelo, Bodie, Omar, Dukie, Randy.

Bubs redeems this trend, but the show is purposefully bitter toward redemption. Maybe Michael ends up an Omar figure; maybe he becomes a surrogate Marlo. It's still relatively vague, and that vagueness is invaluable against more braisingly direct instances with Scott Templeton, which makes its point but showcases a nihilism that isn't present elsewhere.

Damn. This has been a wonderful series spread across five months. Great, developed characters and social critique embedded throughout. I've seen a university syllabus that uses season 4 in an English Composition classroom and now I want to revisit it to think about the likelihood and feasibility of adopting it myself...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Bubs redeems this trend, but the show is purposefully bitter toward redemption.
    It punishes it's players for not playing their roles in the game.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    The Wire is being remastered and rebroadcast in HD

Perfect time to watch the series again!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Good thing I held out to watch this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Rewatched seasons 3-5 over the last few weeks. First time since I initially watched them. I think I liked it even more this time around.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ok, here we go. Marathon time.

Prepare for Duke reactions such as: "Oh shit!" or "Fuck my ass!" over the next several days.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Now I know why MC loves Idris Elba so much.

Oh hell yeah, Duke.

End of episode 4: "Fuck, fuck fuck... fuck... fuck fuck fuck... mother fucker. fuck me. pow"

Fuckin' awesome.

Right on. And hey. It only gets better.

Episode 7-- the dumb cops in this show are making me angry

Frankly, I've been watching this the entire time thinking how someone could think this was better than Breaking Bad; Episode 11 "The Hunt" is finally starting to let this series take off (still not better than BB). And really no "oh shit" moments to be had yet.

Fitting as I watch the show

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...er-riots-rage/
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 04-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.

I don't see how you can fairly compare the two, to be honest.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I don't see how you can fairly compare the two, to be honest.
    They're both TV shows.

The Wire is just rehashed Sopranos told from the perspective of the law.

If you're looking for "oh shit" moments, then you're watching the wrong show. It's not a show about plot.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If you're looking for "oh shit" moments, then you're watching the wrong show. It's not a show about plot.
    I wasn't "looking" for them- but I just assumed there would be one or two.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    They're both TV shows.

The Wire is just rehashed Sopranos told from the perspective of the law.
    Not really. The Sopranos, while it is ensemble-related, is all about the difficulties that Tony Soprano has of leading his families. The Wire is all about Baltimore's struggle of the drug trade.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, it's not like there aren't any, but the way you phrased your post made it sound like you think BB is the better show because it has more of those surprising and intense moments, so I'm just attempting to adjust your expectations of The Wire because it barely even tries to ramp up enough momentum to propel viewers to the next episode like most TV shows, let alone make it a draw of the show. People love it for its educational aspect, and that means it tells you what's going to happen and how it's going to happen before its big moments, so you'll know and understand why it has to happen.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Well, it's not like there aren't any, but the way you phrased your post made it sound like you think BB is the better show because it has more of those surprising and intense moments, so I'm just attempting to adjust your expectations of The Wire because it barely even tries to ramp up enough momentum to propel viewers to the next episode like most TV shows, let alone make it a draw of the show. People love it for its educational aspect, and that means it tells you what's going to happen and how it's going to happen before its big moments, so you'll know and understand why it has to happen.
    Roger that. Yeh I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Finished Season 1 today. Pacing is definitely slower than I expected, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Roger that. Yeh I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Finished Season 1 today. Pacing is definitely slower than I expected, but that's definitely not a bad thing.
    Season 1 is also the only season that I think is merely "alright." Everything from here on gets to great-fantastic. Season 2 seems to rub many the wrong way, but I dug the hell out of it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I loved both S1 & S2, but the show definitely grows as it builds on its own mythology.

An example of an oh shit moment in the Wire is a telephone ringing, or a phone number being discovered. It's a show of measured dynamics.

I finally started watching the new HD remaster today. Watched the first two eps on HBO Go. I think I prefer the original framing. Good thing I have the box set. I'm gonna continue with the new version for now, though, just to experience it.

Simon went at length about it back in December in case you guys missed this blog post.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast