Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Brother Mouzone comes off as a little ridiculous. He feels like a character, not a person. He might work on another show, but feels out of place on this one.
    That and a plot line that takes place in season five, are the only missteps the series ever took, in my opinion.

Ziggy. Damn.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ziggy. Damn.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Okay, and watching the police typing warrants while their evidence literally goes down the drain-- how frustrating can this show get? Will our scrappy-detail-that-could ever get a case resolved? Like... ever?
    ...and the milk's in me.

OH WHAT IT'S TOO REALISTIC FOR YOU?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    OH WHAT IT'S TOO REALISTIC FOR YOU?
    YES. YES IT IS.

Seriously, though, the lack of catharsis is killer. Building to resolve... building to resolve... NO RESOLVE, HAHA, SUCKS TO BE YOU. Just like in real life.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Well, you live there. You would know.
    Movie Theater Diary

Brother Mouzone and Omar both represent the legend and myth of the game - I don't think they are supposed to be "real." In many ways, there are some almost supernatural things, or, at the very least, mythological things about these two characters. The way they move in and out of the shadows, of how people talk about them as if they exist on a higher plane, and of how their stories progress all point to this.

Well, you live there. You would know.
    This season takes place in a part of Baltimore I didn't know existed, even though it's across a narrow portion of the harbor from me. But then I got diverted off a closed portion of the freeway last week, and bam, there I was.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Brother Mouzone and Omar both represent the legend and myth of the game - I don't think they are supposed to be "real." In many ways, there are some almost supernatural things, or, at the very least, mythological things about these two characters. The way they move in and out of the shadows, of how people talk about them as if they exist on a higher plane, and of how their stories progress all point to this.
    He reminds me of The Operative in Serenity, which makes me giggle.

Omar I can handle. He's mythic, but he's mythic the way real people in our lives are sometimes mythic, like your cousin that can talk himself out of anything, or your friend from high school that knows somebody in every possible dark alleyway in town.

Brother Mouzone feels like a caricature. I suspect he's going to shortly start drinking tea out of tiny little cups and sporting a monocle while quoting Nietzsche and wiping the blood off his fingertips with a handkerchief. Put him in a general action-adventure show, and he's intriguing. Put him on this show, and he just feels silly.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Mouzone was also a misstep to me, but he's not very prominent later on. I almost think that if Gus from Breaking Bad were there instead, it would've worked perfect.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

He's not too prominent now. I think when a show is this consistent and with such reliable writing and style, any misstep is going to glare a little.
    ...and the milk's in me.

We'll just have to disagree on that. Not only wasn't he a misstep, but he is involved in my single favorite scene of the entire show.

He is a perfect counter-balance for Omar. In many ways, he is the other side to Omar's coin, another way that someone like Omar might have turned out had Omar chosen a slightly different path.

He's not too prominent now. I think when a show is this consistent and with such reliable writing and style, any misstep is going to glare a little.
    It definitely does.

Proposition Joe seemed like he'd fall into Mouzone's flaws, but he's more like Omar. Great character.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

By the way, Prissy (the girl that comforts Nick after Ziggy is arrested) is played by Merritt Weaver a girl who has bit parts all over the place, but I always notice her, because for some reason I totally like her.
    ...and the milk's in me.

To me, Ziggy was the huge misstep in S2. Hated that character something fierce. He totally annoyed me, and I didn't like his story at all. I know he's generally loved by fans, but not by me.

By the way, Prissy (the girl that comforts Nick after Ziggy is arrested) is played by Merritt Weaver a girl who has bit parts all over the place, but I always notice her, because for some reason I totally like her.
    Yes, for some reason.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    To me, Ziggy was the huge misstep in S2. Hated that character something fierce. He totally annoyed me, and I didn't like his story at all. I know he's generally loved by fans, but not by me.
    He is aggressively annoying. But, he's supposed to be annoying. So you could argue that he's a very successful character. And he's so pathetic.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That was certainly the first time I noticed her.

EDIT: Specifically, that scene where she confronts Matt about his drug abuse. I was like, "Who IS this girl?"
    ...and the milk's in me.

I don't believe Omar and Mouzone are similar at all, let alone two sides of the same coin. Mouzone is an emotionally cold, calculative sociopath and sees himself above the riff raff. Omar is very caring for others and will form allegiances with anyone he thinks is on the level. Even if Omar turned out bad, he would never in a million years be anything like Mouzone.
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyway, Mara, you're close to finishing S2, yes?
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyway, Mara, you're close to finishing S2, yes?
    Getting there.

The scene between Ziggy and his dad in jail was killer.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Frank Sobotka may very well be my favorite character on the entire show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Season 2 suffers from a lack of my man Bubs.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Start Season 3. Now.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast