Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    In case you guys didn't know, Season 4 is pretty cheap to pre-order at Amazon. That may be a Black Friday/Cyber Monday price, so it might change quick.

We got the first three seasons for $70 the other day. ritch:
    God bless Amazon and their willingness to reduce the prices on preorders if they lower the price after you purchase it. ritch:

Season 1 was great. It takes a lot of energy for me to take a break from movies and watch an entire season of a TV show, so that's the only thing holding me back from checking out any subsequent seasons. I'll get to it one day.

i just watched the first three episodes. the first episode didn't wow me, as i was expecting 'the best show on television' to. at first i found it slightly derivative. but after awhile, i realized with the first episode, they weren't trying to impress anybody, they were just doing what they do. and by the end of the second episode i could tell i was hooked. episode three capped it off. the scene with d'angelo teaching those kids how to play chess was great. d'angelo appears to be the most sympathetic character to me. which is unique. though mcnulty is good too. netflix can't get disc 2 to me soon enough.

Here are some new short promos for season 5:

Carcetti:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsYWcHbwLU

McNulty:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVB-d7tWIII

Bubbles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMd2HCcQ_c

Marlo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPflEzVBSq0

Omar: (this one has some minor spoilers)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhryZsvU6E

Awesome stuff!

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I'm torn. Do I watch those, or do I go into the new season fresh? The temptation will likely get the better of me down the line, but for now I'll hold off.

I couldn't resist watching them. If you've seen the older promo of season 5, then you'd know what the McNulty one is about.

This season is gonna be fantastic.

I'll bet that Bubbles will be the first actor to get nominated from the Wire for what he'll go through this season.

It'll be well-deserved, but overlooked at the same time because many other performances should've been nominated already, especially last season with Carcetti and the boys.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

i just finished watching season 1. without a doubt the greatest season of any television show i've ever seen. every aspect of the show is absolutely top notch. this season would hang with most great movies i've seen this decade. something i couldn't think of saying about any other show. and it actually changed the way i look at the world. which i think is as big a compliment as you can pay to any work of art.

Before, I'd seen the next three seasons, ledfloyd, I was saying the same thing. It's really quite phenomenal, isn't it?

Watching Season 4 again. So good. Oh, so good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

i'm a few episodes into season 2. it's definitely slightly less intense. of course it's still early. i dunno if the dock stuff is as exciting as the pit was. but ziggy is funny as hell. the only thing that i kinda felt negative about was how the "team" miraculously got reunited. seemed like too many strings had to be pulled plotwise. first thing in the show that hasn't felt natural IMO.

Man, I wonder if the kids are going to drop out for Season 5. It would be a shame to see them go.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

So, Amazon's got some The Wire prequels up. Three short vignettes, adding some extra back story to four characters.

Right here, everyone.

I guess they'll be on HBO OnDemand soon enough and will be airing after episodes, as well.

The only one I really liked was the Omar one.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    So, Amazon's got some The Wire prequels up. Three short vignettes, adding some extra back story to four characters.

Right here, everyone.

I guess they'll be on HBO OnDemand soon enough and will be airing after episodes, as well.

The only one I really liked was the Omar one.
    Omar and McNulty's seemed true. Prop Joe was pretty dumb.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Finishing up Season 4 for the second time and just wanted to make a few comments. Spoilers abound, so don't read if you haven't watched the season:

-The children's story is one of the best filmed. This is something that movies could never do, and fully uses the medium of television. We are exposed to all four characters, see how they appear to the general public, but then we start digging deep into their layers and see who they really are, and their inevitable future catches up to them because of what they are exposed to. Most interesting to me was the one that appears the most innocent at first. Michael goes from being the one that rejects money from Marlo and staying out of trouble, by learning boxing on his own, to becoming a Corner boy because of the return of his abusive father. By the end, there is so much anger, that he's the most dangerous of them all.

-Chris, despite being a man of few words, is quickly becoming my favorite character. Snoop gets most of the credit, but this guy is terrifying. He's practically a Grim Reaper, and he seems to have the same past as Michael, only we haven't seen anything from his past. He keeps it protected, but when he meets up with Michael's father, something comes out.

-One question, why do people even follow former Mayor Clarence Royce? Is it just because he looked great in the numbers games? I love seeing Carcetti playing the Political Racial game. It seems ridiculous, but I can fully believe it as firing one person, he has to fire another to please a set of people.

--

Can't wait for Season 5.

Any predictions?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Promo image:

This is less than four weeks away. I am just about giddy with anticipation.

Holy crap, I'm nearly peeing myself.

The trailer for the final season:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O7HoWd7mY8E

Wow

Fuck yes.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Fuck yes.
    My thoughts exactly. January 6th can't come soon enough.

Man, I can't believe it's almost here. I'm coming back to school early so I can watch this.

And KF: those are just like little 30 second commercials for the show that air on HBO. They're nifty, I don't think there's anything too spoilery in them.

Quote Quoting krazed (view post)
    And KF: those are just like little 30 second commercials for the show that air on HBO. They're nifty, I don't think there's anything too spoilery in them.
    Alright. I'll take a gander. Thanks.

I'm so tempted to watch the trailer and those clips but I want to go in totally spoiler free. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a TV season.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    I'm so tempted to watch the trailer and those clips but I want to go in totally spoiler free. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a TV season.
    OMAR KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast