Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Two episodes into The Corner (Simon's miniseries before The Wire)... it's lower budget and the acting/drama stumbles a bit in places... things feel a bit amateurish at times but it's not too bad given the docu-style of the miniseries... although starting and ending each ep with straight docu and then going shot/re-action shot is a bit unnecessarily disorienting... they should have used a different lens/filter to differentiate I think... and the flashback/memory 'golden age' period is a bit too blunt in it's stylistic execution.

Overall it's pretty good though, and it's nice to see a bunch of old acting faces from The Wire.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Two episodes into The Corner (Simon's miniseries before The Wire)... it's lower budget and the acting/drama stumbles a bit in places... things feel a bit amateurish at times but it's not too bad given the docu-style of the miniseries... although starting and ending each ep with straight docu and then going shot/re-action shot is a bit unnecessarily disorienting... they should have used a different lens/filter to differentiate I think... and the flashback/memory 'golden age' period is a bit too blunt in it's stylistic execution.

Overall it's pretty good though, and it's nice to see a bunch of old acting faces from The Wire.
    If you finish it, it's more devastating then The Wire I think. Stick with it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If you finish it, it's more devastating then The Wire I think. Stick with it.
    Oh I will for sure.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Homicide!
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Homicide!
    How is it executed?

Is it Wire like? Feel more amateurish in the vein of The Corner or something else entirely?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Homicide!
    Yep. That's my plan after I check out some of The Larry Sanders Show.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

How is it executed?

Is it Wire like? Feel more amateurish in the vein of The Corner or something else entirely?
    Neither. It looks like a 90s student film, with pop song montages like Miami Vice, structured episodically procedural like Law & Order, but instead of focusing on the murder plots, it has the homicide detectives humorously or tragically engaging in long, talk-heavy philosophical debates.

In other words, absolutely brilliant.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Homicide is what I check out after I get through a couple more HBO shows.

God the actor playing Daniels sucks so hard, definitely the weakest link on the show... when he popped up in The Corner my suspicions of his suckitude were further confirmed.

Clarke Peters on the other hand is very strong... I'm tempted to rewatch Neil Jordan's Mona Lisa because I barely remember his role.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

God the actor playing Daniels sucks so hard, definitely the weakest link on the show... when he popped up in The Corner my suspicions of his suckitude were further confirmed.

Clarke Peters on the other hand is very strong... I'm tempted to rewatch Neil Jordan's Mona Lisa because I barely remember his role.
    You should see that actor on Oz at his ultimate worst. I didn't mind him too much in The Wire.

Clarke Peters is great. I was wondering if he did any films.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

He was originally supposed to be Mr. Eko on LOST.
    Movie Theater Diary

yeah. on the wire he feels like he stepped out of law and order. he has no range whatsoever.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    yeah. on the wire he feels like he stepped out of law and order. he has no range whatsoever.
    He also just over anticipates everything... he can't just let himself be and feel the moment... trying too hard to control his behavior... there was one moment where he steps out of an elevator and a character starts talking to him and his head swivel, wide eyed response was so unbelievably forced... especially contrasted with Peters on The Corner who has this moment when he 'falls out' where he's lying in the hospital and turns to face Gary with an unhappy expression as he gradually opens his eyes but then as he sees it's Gary he breaks out into a happy, kind hearted smile... just a perfect moment really.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Okay I need to watch the fifth season pronto.

Started on Season Five.

HEY! They're using the copier machine gag from Homicide, and not even doing it as well.

In Homicide, they use the exact same trick but the cops made the perp think that the machine emits radiation that sterilizes sperm. It was hilarious.
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, and the actor playing Daniels was pretty good on Oz. Maybe because he played a junkie with a Jamaican accent.
    Movie Theater Diary

Hey! The Wire cops are hanging out at Bayliss and Munch's old waterfront bar!!

*is geeking out*
    Movie Theater Diary

God, I fucking love this show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Started on Season Five.

HEY! They're using the copier machine gag from Homicide, and not even doing it as well.

In Homicide, they use the exact same trick but the cops made the perp think that the machine emits radiation that sterilizes sperm. It was hilarious.
    Yeah, that joke was much more believable on Homicide.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    I never really got the bashing this show received in its final season. I get that Simon was doing some axe-grinding with the newsroom storyline, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment whatsoever. I think in time it will be remembered just as fondly as the other four seasons of the show.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

I'm up to episode 6 and will be getting Disc 3 and 4 tomorrow. I don't see why it's bad, either. I love the newsroom stuff.
    Movie Theater Diary

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    I'm up to episode 6 and will be getting Disc 3 and 4 tomorrow. I don't see why it's bad, either. I love the newsroom stuff.
    The best is yet to come. I agree about the newsroom, the banter and general atmosphere of those scenes always felt spot-on to me, obviously because of Simon's background there. From a storytelling standpoint also, it feels like the natural last institution for the show to focus on, as the paper is supposed to be informing the public about all of the city's issues documented by the first four seasons. I think the show does a great job of showing just how that goal gets lost along the way. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the particularly excellent final episodes.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

:frustrated::frustrated::frust rated::frustrated:

[]
    Movie Theater Diary

:frustrated::frustrated::frust rated::frustrated:

[]
    I was waiting for that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

:frustrated: as it may have been, thank you for mentioning it. I really didn't care much for many parts of season five, and those things I didn't like have overshadowed the many grace notes the season had, that being among them.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast