Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

The Wire

It's the best show on television. Just admit it.

I'm glad season four is being released on DVD at a significantly lower SRP. I hope HBO sees good returns on this and learns from it.

I've been thinking I need to blitz through all four seasons again before season five debuts in... what, February?

It's the greatest show there ever was. Cue number8 saying Homicide was better in...

He hasn't even finished The Wire, so his opinion isn't valid. I don't say that The Wire is better than Homicide because I haven't seen the latter.

February can't come soon enough.

Homicide is better.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Homicide is better.
    If we ever get rep, expect some negative.

I think I'll watch Homicide soon. It really makes no sense that I haven't watched it at all yet.

Well, how do you gauge? Homicide has more seasons than The Wire. Do I wait until The Wire hits 7 seasons to be fair?

I've seen the first 3 seasons of The Wire. If I compare it to the first 3 of Homicide, then Homicide is better. If Season 4 is as godly as everyone say (which I'm not doubting), then even if it has the possibility of eclipsing any season of Homicide, I'd still tout Homicide as the better series because it's more consistent and has more characters that I like.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Well, how do you gauge? Homicide has more seasons than The Wire. Do I wait until The Wire hits 7 seasons to be fair?
    The Wire's next season, the 5th, will be its last.

I can't speak for Homicide, having only seen a few episodes (which were okay), but I've never seen a show that develops from season to season as The Wire did.

I'm rewatching The Wire while my friend sees it for the first time.

Second time around makes me appreciate the first season more now that I know all the characters pretty well.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm halfway through Season 2 but I got sidetracked when I borrowed The Office UK from a friend. Now that I have burned through that series in a couple days, I'm ready to finish this up.

Spectacular show! Up there with The Office (UK) as one of my very favorites.

The season 4 DVDs will be released on December 4. Can't wait!

The "villains" are so memorable and exceptionally written as well. I can't believe one wonderful character has exited the show via season three. That was a shocking moment especially[
    ]
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Season 4 is amazing. You'll love it.

Last I heard, Season 5 was going live in January. Does anyone know if the episodes have already been shot, or could they become WGA strike collateral damage?

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    Season 4 is amazing. You'll love it.

Last I heard, Season 5 was going live in January. Does anyone know if the episodes have already been shot, or could they become WGA strike collateral damage?
    Someone I know personally said that the show was safe, but I have no evidence to back that up. I'm just praying it's true.

I'm almost positive it's all in the can by now. At the very least, the writing portion is well behind them, as is the production phase. I think photography wrapped in September or something.

I believe HBO shows work differently than network shows. I think they shoot early.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

HBO shoots all of its season together because of its larger then normal budget. Its probably near the end of its editing phase by now. It's safe.

The dude's next show in Orleans may take a while to come.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Definitely safe. I just watched my TiVo'd CYE last night and there was a Wire commercial beforehand saying January 2008.

I forgot to drop by here when I finished Season 2. Without stating the obvious that it's fantastic television, I think certain aspects of the season felt undercooked. I felt like half of the police squad really took a backseat just so we can feel comfortable seeing familiar faces once and awhile. Greggs, Daniels, and Prez were all power players the first year, but faded into the background during the second. The same can be said about characters from the drug dealer side, but their storyline was significantly diminished as a whole this year. I really enjoyed the port cast, though, so it's give and take I suppose.

Still great and I'm not even going to say it's a step down, just that I prefer Season 1.

I feel exactly the same way. I still thought season 2 was great, but I prefer season 1. Still, seasons 3 and 4 are progressively better than season 1, with season 4 being the best season of any television show I've ever seen. I can't wait for next year.

Season 2 was my least favorite, but I came to appreciate it more in time, because the show builds on it, like they do everything else.

One thing I love about The Wire is that, with the exception of McNulty, there are no major characters, and even he fades into the background on occasion. Characters will appear based on the story's need, not popularity or contractual obligation. This makes the show even more closer to reality, as there are always a revolving cast of characters within any institution.

Seasons 3 and 4 will blow you away.

In case you guys didn't know, Season 4 is pretty cheap to pre-order at Amazon. That may be a Black Friday/Cyber Monday price, so it might change quick.

We got the first three seasons for $70 the other day. ritch:

I need to rent this show and see what KF is so damn excited about. And then if he's wrong I'll negatively rep him :P

If he's right though? I'll agree with him. What did you expect more rep KF? You'll have to try harder than that
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I need to rent this show and see what KF is so damn excited about. And then if he's wrong I'll negatively rep him :P

If he's right though? I'll agree with him. What did you expect more rep KF? You'll have to try harder than that
    You won't disagree with him too much. Season 4 is as good as TV can get really. The only shows that have compared are a few Sopranos seasons, and probably the first season of Oz.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

$27.49 right away for a HBO TV Series? Done.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast