Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I actually subbed at a school a lot like the one in the 4th season. However, there were only ~200 students, 5 armed guards, and no student was allowed any where in the building without adult supervision. It was basically prison. And, the funny thing, the students were probably the most respectable and easy to deal with. They weren't kids - they had seen more life than I ever will.
    It's not too late for you buddy! Get out there! Deal some drugs! Kill some people! I believe in you.

[
    ]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I do remember. People fight this show so hard for some reason. Now I'm trying to convince my roommate to watch Breaking Bad. He watched the first three eps a year ago and won't continue. *tears hair out*
    What shows does he like?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Man, remember how long and how hard we had to beat Mara into watching?
    I understand Mara completely, but from my own experience (and pardon the reference) - you can't be told how good it is. You just have to see it.

It's not too late for you buddy! Get out there! Deal some drugs! Kill some people! I believe in you.

[
    ]
    I'm so inspired now!

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I understand Mara completely, but from my own experience (and pardon the reference) - you can't be told how good it is. You just have to see it.
    I find it's even hard to describe to anyone, especially (and hopefully this doesn't sound too snobby) if they haven't had an academic background. I can talk about Greek tragedy, socioeconomic themes, political criticism, urban decay, and so on forever but too many people will inevitably ask me: "well, what's the plot?" which is pretty much impossible to answer without it sounding like a cop show.

Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    What shows does he like?
    The Wire. Game of Thrones. Typically good stuff, he just found the first few episodes of Breaking Bad too morbid. I'm encouraging him to move past that.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The Wire. Game of Thrones. Typically good stuff, he just found the first few episodes of Breaking Bad too morbid. I'm encouraging him to move past that.
    Well those two shows get pretty morbid too, but I know BB is different. A couple friends of mine said the same thing, and I was able to convince them by saying that the dark comedy aspects of the show get downplayed more and it becomes more of a violent drama like the two mentioned. Not sure if that's what you meant, but give it a shot.

I tried a few episodes of BB and had to stop. The violence and cruelty was too much for me.

In fact, The Wire is really hard for me to watch because of the violence. I'm very sensitive about that stuff.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Starting season 5. That scene with the copier was done in a different show-- Homicide?-- that 8 posted once.

Don't like the new rendition of the theme so much.

There's a new shot in the credits of a cart being pushed in a park with a golden-spired church in the background. That is the closest the show has shot to my house, so far.
    ...and the milk's in me.

My watching of the first episode was interrupted. I just finished.

Even if he was fired from the police station, I find it really unlikely that Herc would go work for Eugene Levy. He seems to be despised by the police in the city.

And my man Bubs looks way better than last season. They do a great job with his make-up... it never looks like he's wearing any, but you can tell at a glace how healthy he is and if he's using.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm really pleased with how this Senator Clay thing has played out. It seemed like a throwaway plot point in season 1, but they've slowly built it up as a common thread through all five seasons. (I'm on episode four.)

And, realistically, it would take years and years for something like that to come to fruition. Smart of them to seed it early.

On the other hand, McNulty's secret serial killer plan is insane. I can't believe Freamon would go along with it all. Obviously, McNulty's circling the drain, but Lester is not stupid.
    ...and the milk's in me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT JOE!

Dammit, why can't they kill characters I don't like???

:sad:
    ...and the milk's in me.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    On the other hand, McNulty's secret serial killer plan is insane. I can't believe Freamon would go along with it all. Obviously, McNulty's circling the drain, but Lester is not stupid.
    This was my biggest complaint with season five, and it's why it ranks below every other season in my opinion. It left a bad taste in my mouth. That and the clunky way they handled wrong/right with some of the newspaper plot. A bit too preachy at times.

I have no trouble believing Lester would go along with it. They planted the seeds for that character's actions in the first episode of the first season of the show. And they built up his growing frustration with the system again in the four prior seasons especially when he's essentially put in charge of the unit.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I have no trouble believing Lester would go along with it. They planted the seeds for that character's actions in the first episode of the first season of the show. And they built up his growing frustration with the system again in the four prior seasons especially when he's essentially put in charge of the unit.
    I believe that he'd be disenfranchised enough to do something subversive and unethical, but I think he could have come up with a better plan. The whole idea is just waiting to blow up.

"Hamsterdam" was crazy enough that it came right up to that line, but it was so fascinating as a "what if" scenario that as a viewer, I was willing to suspend my disbelief.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I believe David Simon has described season five as the "Dr. Strangelove" of the show. I can understand why many would not appreciate the sudden more satirical turn (and I know some feel it's too on-the-nose compared to previous seasons) but I love the nod to the fact that it takes something this batshit crazy to convince the public to start paying attention to an actual serial killer (that being Marlo).

"This ain't Aruba, bitch."

My favorite part of Season 5 is the fact that they introduced a major character just to be a red herring to purposely misdirect people from the real message of the season, which also happens to be the concluding message of The Wire as a whole. It's a weird, subversive way for a tv show to sum itself up, and I love it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

[
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The president of the city council, Nerese, may be the only Hollywood-Beautiful person on the show.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, look, Nick Sobotka.

And, damn. Poor Randy. Someone broke that sweet kid.

Also, he grew about a foot and a half.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That scene with Randy...oh God. Bunk's comment about being foolish not to come to the police would be hilarious if it weren't so fucking tragic.

I'm off to go adopt a kid from a group home, brb.

I knew Clay would get off. The show wouldn't completely change its stance on the ultimate, unalterable failure of law and order. Still, the way he pulled it off was masterful.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Can't wait 'til you get to the final episode, Mara.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Yeah. Please share your thoughts. The penultimate episodes is one of my absolute favorites and has my favorite scene of the whole show.

I need to rewatch it.

I knew better than to expect Omar to survive the series, but I did not expect him to go out like... that.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast