View Poll Results: WW84

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 41.67%
  • Nay

7 58.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty Jenkins)

I thought this was a disaster. And I say this is as someone who thinks the first Wonder Woman is better than any Marvel movie and easily better than any non-Nolan DC movie. Nothing about it really works, but the most amazing thing to me is that a committee of executives actually greenlit a script with such an insanely stupid premise and absolutely no polish to compensate for it. This is both artless and not entertaining at all. A real shock given that many of the same people are involved.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

So, what exactly is Wonder Woman's place in the world during this movie? Nobody seems to talk about her or know about her despite that fact that she's presumably been doing her thing for the last 60 years. Why is she not a really big deal already? She just under the radar spending all her time thwarting petty criminals in the D.C. area? It ain't like she changes her look between being Diana and being WW; I don't think (delayed) taking out of mall security cameras can explain it. There's been a lot of big real-life shit that went down between the first movie and this one that she could've intervened upon, which is part of the logical flaw in having her turn the tide of World War 1 and then jumping ahead many decades.

I really love Pedro Pascal but man this was a bad performance. I have no idea why people are saying Max Lord and PP are the best thing about this movie. The entire premise of this film is intolerably stupid enough - and the Max Lord character quite poorly written - it didn't need on top of that a hammed up performance that makes the Max Lord character totally inaccessible. He lacks any clear motivation as written and no humanity as performed, and yet the entire ending of this film rests on him having a change of heart.

Gal Gadot is still awesome though. I don't blame Barbara for using her one wish to be more like her.

I guess I'll do running commentary.

[
    ]
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    So, what exactly is Wonder Woman's place in the world during this movie? Nobody seems to talk about her or know about her despite that fact that she's presumably been doing her thing for the last 60 years. Why is she not a really big deal already? She just under the radar spending all her time thwarting petty criminals in the D.C. area? It ain't like she changes her look between being Diana and being WW; I don't think (delayed) taking out of mall security cameras can explain it. There's been a lot of big real-life shit that went down between the first movie and this one that she could've intervened upon, which is part of the logical flaw in having her turn the tide of World War 1 and then jumping ahead many decades.

I really love Pedro Pascal but man this was a bad performance. I have no idea why people are saying Max Lord and PP are the best thing about this movie. The entire premise of this film is intolerably stupid enough - and the Max Lord character quite poorly written - it didn't need on top of that a hammed up performance that makes the Max Lord character totally inaccessible. He lacks any clear motivation as written and no humanity as performed, and yet the entire ending of this film rests on him having a change of heart.

Gal Gadot is still awesome though. I don't blame Barbara for using her one wish to be more like her.
    Pedro was terrible in this. Kristin Wigg seemed like the only one committed to this. Gal was good too

Yes, Steve flying a machine he's literally never even seen before directly into fireworks for kicks was a special kind of dumb.

The opening scene, the introductory elements with Wiig, and Gadot's natural charisma and the chemistry with Pine are the only things that were good here.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

As the resident DC defender I 100% expected to disagree with the haters.

WW84 was so bad. There were a couple good scenes, but overall, worst film of the DCEU imo. I've lambasted Suicide Squad in the past, and I've watched that like five times. I don't know that I can watch this again. Thats a special kind of bad to this viewer. Its especially painful because it seems like the cuttable scenes are so obvious. There was ZERO point to having Steve Trevor in this film. Theres 30 minutes right there.

Theres a good movie in there somewhere...we got the one with loads of deleted scenes.

Producer
    First film's earnestness runs right smack into going-bigger sequelitism, so what was winningly guileless there -- when focused narrowly on Diana's journey -- now turns very sloppy in plotting when met with much more sprawling material. It also leads to more than a few naively misguided areas, in which the most viral ones -- what happens after Steve appears and the whole Cairo subplot -- have been well-documented and not unjustifiably dragged by now. Still, that first-film earnestness from Jenkins, Gadot, and Pine still remains somewhat at its core (especially in scenes with the latter two), and Pascal and Wiig are fun additions. Nothing comes close to the No Man's Land sequence (one can see the attempt with the Cairo action scene, but it whiffs), but that first flying scene has some of the same raw heroic awe feeling, and I like the climatic fight here more than WW's Snyderish one. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

This didn’t disappoint!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can't wait. Watching it now.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Can't wait. Watching it now.
    YES! They also picked on the Jim Carrey reference from my review. CHECK

Edit: and the jet fuel in the fighter jet. CHECK

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This scene is akin in the first movie when the crew conveniently finds a "field" "full" of German cards to approach the German occupied castle.
    ffs not this shit again

I was told this movie was total shit and that the Cheetah CGI was weapons-grade awful. Actually, it's just kinda meh to okay and the Cheetah CGI was fine. We can see what they wanted to do with the movie, but there's quite a bit that just doesn't land. The plot requires WW to lose her powers gradually for reasons unknown instead of more or less immediately. Did Cheetah get a second wish or something in order to achieve her final form? Is that allowed or did we skip over that part? I grant you wanting an inspirational message of uplift and hope, but billions of people selflessly giving their wishes back aint happening, ever. Also, the parts visualizing WW's powers looked kinda wobbly this time. They still aren't really nailing it completely.

It's a downgrade, but the parts that worked worked pretty well. Pine's a charisma-generating machine. The scene where she learns to fly did it for me, I can't lie, but did she just forget about it 30 years later? There's a lot of frayed edges here. Cute post-credits cameo, laughably and immediately undercut by "BTW DID YOU KNOW LYNDA CARTER DID A CAMEO???" 0.2 seconds later.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Also I'm a little ticked they tried to "schlub" Kristoffer Polaha. Dude's a perfectly good-looking bro.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Pine should have been cut from the whole movie. He served no purpose.

Yep said that, agreed

Eye candy, definitely a purpose.

Ugh.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Well, it's as bonkers as the movies that came out in the eighties, I'll say that much. And how they incorporated the invisible jet was a nice touch, as are some of the VFX scenes, like Diana flying through the clouds and swinging from lightning bolt to lightning bolt. Cheesy, sure, but they looked amazing. But the first half is a hodgepodge of cartoonish and grounded tones, pacing issues, and lame jokes while the second half is a melting pot of corny WTFery and a hamfisted message with a script that doesn’t cater to the strengths of its cast. Kristen Wiig is a hilarious comedienne, so to see her in something as campy as this without letting her be funny is all sorts of insulting, just like certain plot developments that nuke Diana of any agency as a character. Credit to Pedro Pascal for taking giant bites of scenery when he could, but WW84 isn’t a movie. It’s a 200 million dollar after-school special.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I liked two scenes in this: Invisible Jet origin story and the farewell. The bad far outweighs the good. The '80s reconstruction was overdone to the point of being laughable, the plot asks for WAY too much suspension of disbelief and it's longer than necessary. The opening scene in Themyscira, among others, was disconcerting. Any sensible editor would have that removed from an already bloated film. A lot of you are saying Steve Trevor serves no purpose, but... the romantic tragedy was a big part of the original and I think his arc here gave Diana some closure, even if the reasoning for his brief resurrection was baffling. The one character that I thought could have been saved for another sequel was Cheetah. No fault of Wiig but she has little to do with the main plot of the movie, which is "Maxwell Lord meets Wishmaster". She's as useful to the plot as Bane was to Batman & Robin.

So, yeah... a missed oportunity for DC. I feel bad for Patty Jenkins because I believe she got burned by marketing. The amount of click-bait articles I saw nearing the film's release lauding her as a genius was at the very least premature.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Huh I really enjoyed this movie. Although I do agree that Cheetah should have been saved for the third movie and yeah they could have cut down the running time a bit. No reason for this to be 2 hours, 30 minutes. I liked the humor and I didn't mind Steve coming back since it made sense in the weird plot line. My favorite part was the Invisible jet among the fireworks scene, and Wonder Woman swinging on the lightning. The wing metal suit looked pretty boss. I think the movie couldn't decide if Max was a villain or not until the White House scene, though.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12