View Poll Results: WW84

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 41.67%
  • Nay

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty Jenkins)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty Jenkins)

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    All five members of my family hated this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hmmm. There's going to be another film and I think Patty Jenkins/Geoff Johns shouldn't write this story again. Jenkins also... maybe shouldn't Direct the next one. Gadot, Pine, Wiig, and Pascal are all fairly solid, though where this films tries to tell a story beyond Diana and Steve, its not always successful despite mapping out characters with actual purpose to the story. The first hour didn't work for me until the action, conflict got going- its predecessor worked well imo because Diana is in nearly every scene- and this noticeably suffers when she takes a backseat. [
    ]
    Gadot/Pine's chemistry took me right back to the last film. A few scenes with them... made my heart swell with joy. And the heartache Diana experiences made me tear up. The finale is fine and ultimately I enjoyed the film, though another film structured like this is going to be a major turn-off. [
    ]

One oddly refreshing thing [
    ]
    Last edited by Mal; 12-26-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Yeh there were so many odd choices here. And I'm sorry, I don't care what kind of script you've written. A superhero movie where the main superhero loses their powers, or doesn't use their powers i.e. The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, makes for a really dull super hero movie. There are so many scenes in the first half where Jenkins holds on characters for so long; You expect some kind character reveal. Whether it's Kristen Wiig trying on a dress, or Pedro Pascal brooding, the timing and pacing is really jacked up.

Is the film intentionally trying to ignore logistics and continuity from reality? Does Patty think because this is a superhero movie, she's just allowed to make things up as she goes along? In the first film there were several convenient scenes that lets Wonder Woman progress through the story. Here, everything is convenient. Max Lord has a son that shows up when the script needs him to. Steve and Diana need to get to Egypt from Washington DC, (for whatever reason to chase the bad guy, even though the bad guy is back in the DC area a day later) so how would Diana and Steve get there? With a fully fueled fighter jet that Diana just so happens to have access to of course. Did Jenkins bother to look up what the range is on a fighter jet? Spoiler alert; it isn't anywhere near 5000 miles. This scene is akin in the first movie when the crew conveniently finds a "field" "full" of German cards to approach the German occupied castle.

Max Lord is the only interesting thing about this film. But even Jenkins didn't really know what do with him. The power he obtains is certainly new to any superhero movie we've seen before, but the finale is way too reminiscing of generic beam shooting into the sky. What was Max planning to do? Destroy everything so there's literally nothing left? Why do these villains' not have a clear end game?

I didn't hate the Cheetah take. But let's not forget that Wiig is essentially playing her SNL character through the first half, and the second half is her character oddly mirroring Edward Nygma transformation into the Riddler in Batman Forever. The film basically flips the fish out of water gimmick from Diana to Steve Trevor who has been revived in the 1980s (which is a whole new discussion) and is seeing a new world from the one he left in the 40s.

Overall, it's a big step down from the first film, there's no scene similar to "No Man's Land", though Jenkins makes it very clear the scum and misogamy of all men was rampant in the 80s, and the only man who didn't hit on Diana was the one who Steve Trevor possesses. BTW, where did that guy go when Trevor took over?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm seeing a lot of consistent negative feedback on this movie! Really surprised considering how good the first movie is. I havent seen it yet, really curious how it will play for me, as I've already voiced concerns about story elements from the trailer.

The first movie was good?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The first movie was good?
    I dont think it's odd to say the general feedback on the first Wonder Woman was positive?

I haven't seen WW84 yet, but I was a bit mixed on the first one; on one hand, I liked a few of its standout sequences a lot (like the "living painting" scene of Themyscira's mythology, or the scene where she took back no man's land), and I liked Gadot's naive-yet-still-authoritative characterization of Diana, along with her strong onscreen chemistry with Pine, but on the other hand, it went through a lot of the same old Superhero movie motions without adding much of anything original to them. In that way, it ultimately felt like the Hillary Clinton campaign of Superhero movies, coasting too much on the novelty of starring a woman, without having much of anything new to add on its own terms, something I would've noticed even if it hadn't been released the same year as Logan, the biggest game-changer for the genre in nearly a decade. It was still a decent movie on the whole for what left an impression, but it ultimately should've been more ambitious than it was, IMO.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I dont think it's odd to say the general feedback on the first Wonder Woman was positive?
    Yeah... it’s generally well-liked and heralded as the “best” non-Nolan DC movie.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Yeah... it’s generally well-liked and heralded as the “best” non-Nolan DC movie.
    What, really? Over Burton's?

Yes, even those. But I think if you put it to a poll, Batman Returns would do very well.

Rankings!

70+
    Batman Returns

60-69
    Batman
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Birds of Prey

50-59
    The Dark Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Man of Steel

40-49
    Batman Forever
    Justice League
    Batman Begins

10-19
    Batman and Robin
    Suicide Squad

Not seen: Aquaman, Batman vs. Superman, WW84
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 12-27-2020 at 02:19 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Almost; if we use the average critical score on RT as a measuring stick, Wonder Woman is still rated a couple of points below the original Christopher Reeves Superman. But yeah, besides that and TDK trilogy, it is the highest-rated major DC release on that site (including the Burton Batmans), as far as I can tell.
    Well, if you use the average rating on Letterboxd, Batman '89 is one point higher than WW, and Returns is tied, so it varies by source.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Rankings!

70+
    Batman Returns

60-69
    Batman
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Birds of Prey

50-59
    The Dark Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Man of Steel

40-49
    Batman Forever
    Justice League
    Batman Begins

10-19
    Batman and Robin
    Suicide Squad

Not seen: Aquaman, Batman vs. Superman, WW84
    Out of the ones I've seen...

Superman: 8.5
    Superman 2: 7
    Batman: 6.5-ish (maybe just a 6, it's been a long time)
    Batman Returns: 8
    Batman Forever 6-ish (if I'm being nice)
    Batman & Robin: 4 if I'm rating it as an actual movie, but it's probably at least an 8 for the so-bad-it's-good entertainment value
    Batman Begins: 8
    Superman Returns: 7.5
    The Dark Knight: 10
    Watchmen: 6.5
    The Dark Knight Rises: 8.25
    Man Of Steel: 6.5
    Batman Vs. Superman: 5 (if I'm being nice)
    Suicide Squad: 5 (see above)
    Wonder Woman: 7.5
    Justice League: 6
    Aquaman: 6
    Shazam!: 7.5
    Joker: 8

Also, I'm glad you don't hate TDKR considering that some hyperbolic people did, but no way is it better than TDK.

:P

Anything other than Superman in the number 1 spot is factually incorrect and considered slander, libel and a war crime.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Anything other than Superman in the number 1 spot is factually incorrect and considered slander, libel and a war crime.
    Nooo Superman II! Donner Cut!

Quote Quoting WB
    Nearly half of all “retail” HBO Max subscribers (that is, people paying $15 per month) watched the superhero movie on opening day
    Therefore WWIII is being fast tracked.

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us...wonder-woman-3

I wish we could have had that as the real canon film. So good.

I don't know what DC movie I like best. Interesting question. Hmmm.

Yes. Superman I / II / III is the correct answer. Why yes I do think Superman III is very good! Superman IV not so much, but even that has its cheesy Cannon production charms.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Eh, it's #2 for me; doesn't quite reach the heights of TDK, but I wouldn't expect the first major, "modern" Superhero movie to do so, and it is the foundation on which so much of the genre has been built on since, so I definitely respect it a lot for that.
    I still need to see that one; the only version of it I have seen is the theatrical cut, with all that lame "comic relief" they added in : / Still probably better than trying to have Supes pal around with Richard Pryor, though.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Yes. Superman I / II / III is the correct answer. Why yes I do think Superman III is very good! Superman IV not so much, but even that has its cheesy Cannon production charms.
    I cannot believe you think Superman 3 is good. I mean, I think Superman 3 is good but I cant believe you think Superman 3 is good lol. Hi5

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)

These movies may have been revolutionary for their time, but to me, the sequels are equivalent to what A Trip to the Moon represents.

I did enjoy WW84, but I have traditionally been more forgiving of superhero movies, take that however you will.

It did seem like a slight step down from the original. There were a few moments that made me giggle, like the chase scene with the trucks -- WW pushing the truck sideways down the highway made me a bit giddy. I also liked all the action at the White House. Some of the CG seemed a bit rubbery. There was one moment where WW rescues a couple children and rolls with them, and they were very obviously dummies. There were several moments that laid on the schmaltz a little too much. But, nothing really bogged the movie down to the point where I wasn't having some fun. I really loved Cheetah's final look. Their fight was the best fight in the movie, minus a bit of the CG jankiness. I did find myself wishing there was more of her final "form" in the movie.

7/10 from me. I also gave the first WW a 7/10 in case that makes a difference.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Christopher Reeve remains unmatched when it comes to superhero casting in live action.

Only one that even comes close is RDJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast