View Poll Results: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

7 70.00%
  • Nay

3 30.00%

Thread: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (George C. Wolfe)

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (George C. Wolfe)

Nayola (J. M. Ribeiro, 2022) ☆
    My First Girlfriend Is a Gal S1 + OVA (H. Furukawa/Y. Ogawa, 2017) ☆
    Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆

First time ☆

It's worth watching for the monologues alone. Boseman and Davis absolutely nail their key moments on screen.

However, like many plays that transition to screen, there's definitely meandering moments of talking heads. It's never quite "cinematic." I also don't think the ending hits the way like it should.

But still, when the movie gives each star their time to act, they definitely make it worth the while.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I can agree with this Ezee. I liked this a lot, I even settled into a space where I just enjoyed the early easygoing banter banter and chemistry between folks. Ending is perhaps a might too shock value, [
    ]
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

That 2nd monologue by Boseman refuses to leave my mind and its power is actually growing. It didn't occur to me until right after that it was powerful in the context of the story, but likely just as resonating because the words are spoken by an actor who likely knew by this point that his time had come.

Just heartbreaking stuff.

Incidentally, I just saw Da 5 Bloods, another film with Boseman. I liked it very much and similarly to this one, it begins in a deceptively buddy movie-ish fashion, with the gang getting together, and I was actually grinning because the chemistry was immediate and the cast just glorious. And then, after about an hour, the blister bursts open.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

It's not very engaging. By mid-movie I was scrolling on my phone and just had it as background noise.

It manages to hit maybe a few good notes, cinematically, but at this point I'm otherwise willing to just take these stage adaptations for what they are. I've never even had the opportunity to see a live performance of a Wilson play, and I'll certainly relish any opportunity to see Viola Davis sink her teeth into material this good. Boseman is the fulcrum here, not only because his death casts a shadow over the whole experience; his performance is commanding, probably the best I've seen from him. The new ending is maybe unnecessary, but I think it packs the appropriate visual punch; the freeze-frame is just rubbing salt in the wound but it made me laugh out loud. Overall, I found it very enjoyable.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Chadwick Boseman is so excellent- I knew he was excellent before this and he proves it yet again. Goddamn. And Viola Davis isn't bad either, naturally. She disappears a little bit at times- its good work from the entire cast and imo this should be the movie to get the SAG Ensemble award this year.

The film is very watchable and I think the director did a good job transitioning the play to screen - hmm though... it feels a little short to me? Regardless, well worth a watch.

Producer
    Either Fences lends itself easier to film adaptation or Washington is a better director, but this has lower lows when its theatrical root swallows the film whole more than a few times; Boseman's God monologue is powerful in of itself as a piece of acting (especially when considered in the context of this performer, with one wondering how much he poured his own circumstance into it), but it clangs loudly when captured through this medium's more naturalistic tendency. The film's highs are higher as well though, as various personalities' clashes here lead to conflicts that lend itself more organically to film, especially in scenes of the recording studio above.

Speaking of, after hearing about Boseman's raves and Davis' limited screentime, I haven't expected to come out of this preferring the latter over the former. To be fair, Ma's role seems a tad more cinematically malleable, and Boseman's raw display of flirtatious self-confidence and violent rage is deserving of those raves (even if something like the aforementioned God monologue will defeat any performer if it's not reworked for the screen), but Davis brashly, fully inhabits her character. It's a big, loud, entertaining performance with a delicately constructed foundation of simmering resentment and world-weariness underneath, and she's so captivating to watch in all her body swagger and watchful, often sad eyes. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Either Fences lends itself easier to film adaptation or Washington is a better director, but this has lower lows when its theatrical root swallows the film whole more than a few times
    This. Having watched and loved Fences I was extremely underwhelmed here and I believe the blame lies on the execution - Wolfe goes for an awkward mix of artificial sets on exteriors and awkward, stiff bloking on interiors that brings the material down every time. It has all the worse parts of theater-based cinema, which is a shame because the Boseman-Davis acting showdown is obviously commendable.