Thread: I don't understand the music industry anymore

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

I don't understand the music industry anymore

Happy Thanksgiving.

With Google Music gone, all my shit got moved over into Youtube Music. This may not seem like a big deal, but it was moved over into my regular gmail account under my real name. Which means, now I have to switch accounts back and forth from regular use youtube account (Dukefrukem) to my real name account to get my music.

This not only fucks up my ability to use voice commands in my house with my devices, which I have in the past used daily, especially when I sing my daughter to sleep at night... but the YOutube Music app fucking sucks. The interface is junk.

It also appears I can't purchase single songs anymore and add them to my music collection.

I can only subscribe to a service to do that.

I DONT WANT A MUSIC SUBSCRIPTION. This is not something I'm willing to accept. If by chance there's a new album, I want the ability to purchase without needing to pay a monthly fee indefinitely to be able to listen to it.

Is there no place left on earth I can do this? Am I done with music in my 30s?

Do I need to now pay for Amazon to host my music? Which is where I started in the first place before moving my entire collection to Google? Do they even do that anymore? Or is my entire collection that I have been building since 1999 totally worthless.

Do I need to go back to local hosting?

Frustrated.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was also forced to move everything from google to youtube. While I'm glad I still have access to my music digitally without having to reupload everything, the youtube app is frustratingly difficult to say the least. Its constantly steering me to streaming their music or subscriptions. I just want to play MY damn music!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how many times I've said no thank you to trying youtube TV on every fucking video I watch on that site.

While we're at it, if they don't chill out on the ads on their site, some other similar site is gonna knock them into myspace land. Charge more for your fucking ads so I don't have to watch 4 30 second ads during one 5 minute video.

I like streaming in general - new music is way more accessible. However, I have Apple music, and iTunes sucks balls on Windows. I basically never use it as my main media player because it is so damn slow and clunky, but it works fine on my iPhone. And it allows you to upload your own music.

(On my home computer, I use MusicBee to play all the albums I have collected in mp3 format over the year. Blazingly fast and easy to use.)
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 11-26-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

(On my home computer, I use MusicBee to play all the albums I have collected in mp3 format over the year. Blazingly fast and easy to use.)
    Might resort to this if I decide the only way to get consistent play is by re-downloading all the music I uploaded years ago.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    The music industry still has not fully embrace streaming the way that the movie and TV industry has. That is both frustrating and dumb.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    The music industry still has not fully embrace streaming the way that the movie and TV industry has. That is both frustrating and dumb.
    They kinda have though. That's my whole point.

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    How do you mean? It's basically entire libraries on a subscription based service instead of having physical media or albums only.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter