Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Get Criterion!

I think that for me James Mason = Captain Nemo

Though no doubt the man's done lots of other great stuff of which I have seen admittedly very little.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I think that for me James Mason = Captain Nemo

Though no doubt the man's done lots of other great stuff of which I have seen admittedly very little.
    Need to see that one. I know him best from Bigger Than Life and North By Northwest.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Odd Man Out (1947)....

I love this one and it does get absurd at points but that makes me love it more and it features the very first actor who played Dr. Who among a cast of other eccentrics. Excellent atmosphere as we see the city change from day to dusk to night.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I love this one and it does get absurd at points but that makes me love it more and it features the very first actor who played Dr. Who among a cast of other eccentrics. Excellent atmosphere as we see the city change from day to dusk to night.
    Yes I forgot to mention he was in it. I love the dreamy aspects. Some did not like the painter subplot but I enjoyed that part since it involves the painter treating him like an object or a myth instead of a person.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Red River (1948)

Yes I am behind as I actually burned through movies faster than I could write reviews. Red River is a major western that I had not seen before, and I actually am working through a BFI list of their Top Western films this year. Howard Hawks puts his considerable talents to fine use here in this western that helped create numerous cliches and is one of the standards by which other westerns should be measured. John Wayne and Montgomery Clift headline a reliable cast that adds to the movie's charm and also it's intensity. This film could have been even longer since it covers Wayne and Clift growing up together as father and adopted son, plus a massive historic cattle drive.

It is on this cattle drive that the two men bump heads, as Wayne's Thomas and Clift's Matt differ on their means of reaching their destination and how the men should be controlled. Walter Brennan also stars which is not surprising as he was in numerous westerns. I love the black and white cinematography, the use of a traditional sounding score and how elements of the film almost feel rather Shakespearian in many regards.

Now I did not mind how the film ended, as Hawks had his reasons and the ending works in my opinion. Alas I only own this on DVD yet maybe if there is a Blu-ray copy I may upgrade one of these days. For now I am content to own a legendary film that is likely to be viewed again, sooner or later.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Night and the City (1950)

Perhaps I was not in the mood to watch Night and the City but even though I thought it was a good movie it took me a while to get through it. I like Richard Widmark however I just didn't care about any of the characters in this film. I do appreciate the cinematography-London in black and white is fantastic-and the nervy ending is appreciated. Maybe I will give this film another shot. I know what Jules Dassin was going for yet I did not fully embrace this film like I did the others I have seen from him.

Gene Tierney and Herbert Lom are great in this too, though, and as noted I may give the film another shot. Perhaps I had viewed too many film noirs at the time and was burnt out. I really don't know. I can't hate a movie that has a character named The Strangler, though, and the DVD version I own is one of those neat two discs ones that Criterion rarely puts out anymore. Shame.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 03-08-2021 at 04:27 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

This long overdue second viewing of Kiss Me Deadly reminded me why it is one of the greatest film noirs ever made. This is a violent, nasty, pull no punches film that I'm surprised was made in the 1950s. The censor boards couldn't have been happy about this movie. Screw em because this is a one of a kind flick that still works even today. Ralph Meeker is fantastic as the hard boiled Mike Hammer who thinks he knows the score yet has no idea what he has really gotten himself into.

Plus this film has Gaby Rodgers playing one of the best femme fatales, ever. Quentin Tarantino of course lifted the glowing case from this movie, as did Alex Cox. I actually forgot that Cloris Leachman was in this since her role is brief although quite memorable. No one can forget a woman standing on the roadside in nothing but a trenchcoat, desperately trying to snag a ride away from her troubles. Those troubles were very big ones indeed, revealed later by a twisty plot that actually requires you to pay attention.

If you held a drinking game for everytime someone gets knocked out or punched, you would be wasted 30 minutes in at least. The apocalyptic finale and Robert Aldrich's gloriously macho direction make Kiss Me Deadly remarkable and quite memorable. It is novel to stand apart from many other 1950s film noirs and also inspire French directors as well as other American ones to follow you down the rabbit hole and offer their own flourishes. I should look into getting this on Blu-ray as well yet the stylish DVD copy I own shall do quite nicely for now.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Forty Guns (1957)

After seeing some of her movies I have a huge crush on Barbara Stanwyck while also noting how she is a great actress. Forty Guns is from Samuel Fuller, who is a fascinating director that I keep eagerly viewing movies from. He also seemed to have movies with strong female leads, although Barry Sullivan also is as much her equal as he is the movie's secondary character. I love this film's stunning compositions and how it takes the Arizona landscape and partners up with the film's multiple complications. After all, Jessica runs the town with an iron fist and rules men like no other woman.

Griff rolls into town with his brothers, hot on the trail of a wanted man. Naturally this man rides with Jessica's group of cowboys, 40 strong as the movie's title states. I loved the scene where Jessica and her men ride into town because it grabs your attention and refuses to let go until they leave. Tensions mount after Griff arrests her brother, and really all the problems just mount from there. I like how this film works quickly yet has scenes that develop slowly, all thanks to Fuller having mastery over his movie.

One moment I particularly enjoy is Jessica and Griff together by themselves, no one else standing between them. Fuller handles romance as well as he does comedy, drama and the film's quick, stark moments of violence. I am glad I got this on Blu-ray and it is a movie that deserves a long essay from me at some point.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 03-08-2021 at 05:19 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Eyes Without a Face (1960)

Does it matter if Eyes Without a Face came out in 1959 or 1960? The movie is a wonderfully twisted and lyrical French horror drama that not only sticks in my mind but also inspired a great Billy Idol song. Reminds me of how at my favorite bar one night a guy and I discussed that fact when I was drinking tasty IPA's. Good times. This movie has a main score that sounds like the carnival of the damned and also makes me think of the fun score for another good cult horror film, Little Shop of Horrors.

Plus I also am thinking about the trashy flick Atom Age Vampire, which was channeling similar ideas although in a less well done version. I did still kind of like that movie, though. Doctor causes his daughter to mess her face up in an auto accident, doctor then sacrifices numerous people in a tragic and mad scientist fashion to fix his mistakes. The gore in this movie remains shocking to me now, so I imagine it freaked people out back then and naturally caused the movie to earn the wraith of the censors in Europe of all places. Those pesky assholes.

Georges Franju seems really cool to me as Judex is another good Criterion release of his that I also own. Both only on DVD, sadly. I liked that The Skin I Live In was inspired by Eyes Without a Face, and I wonder if TCM will air that one like they did this flick years back in 2008. I was a different person back then, and TCM's Sunday foreign showcase was one way I was able to enjoy such movies being stuck in Iowa before streaming hit it big. Good times all around. I still have my old review of this movie on my old blog, too.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 03-08-2021 at 05:39 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Black Orpheus (1959)

Magical realism comes to mind when I think about Black Orpheus, although perhaps this film is more straightforward than I previously thought. The star crossed lovers being restricted by other boundaries and fate is not a fresh concept even back in 1959, yet it works quite well, here. I loved the gorgeous shots of Carnival, playing out as a picturesque backdrop to the tale of two young people who were going to fall in love no matter what. Also I did not expect the middle section of the movie to turn into a desperate journey search, one that includes the nightmare of bureaucracy woven into the movie's overall fabric.

Orfeu and Eurydice have a chance meeting on a very crowded warm Brazilian day as Orfeu goes to retrieve his guitar. What begins as a simple conversation turns into something more, and soon Orfeu is contending with his jealous fiancé Mira. This goes without mentioning that Eurydice fears that Death is following here, although it could also be just some really creepy guy wearing a skeleton costume. This film also has a wonderful score, and certain scenes play out in a very musical type fashion. One of my favorite parts is when the kids get Orfeu to play his guitar so that the sun may rise. Sure it's cheesy in a way yet I found that part rather endearing and fitting into Black Orpheus ' overall charm.

The ending did surprise me a lot, and I did not see it coming, perhaps due to the conclusion being a lot different than the rest of the movie. This looked stunning on Blu-ray and I look forward to viewing it again at some point. Nice to travel to Brazil via cinema when I'm stuck in Iowa and it's cold outside most of the year. Maybe one of these days I'll travel there.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 04-08-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Purple Noon (1960)

I recently obtained a copy of The Talented Mr. Ripley and I plan to read it and then watch the other adaptations of the novel. Eventually, anyways. Purple Noon is a great flick anchored by the legendary Alain Delon, who spends his time getting in and out of trouble, which adds to the picture's breezy pace and subsequent charm. Ripley is a liar and worse, however Delon's skill and Janus looks make you oddly root for him. Although in this movie the other characters are mostly unlikable or bland compared to Tom, and I think that was done on purpose.

What also hooked me on this movie was a carefully constructed scene I watched via Criterion's site that depicts Tom quickly and effortlessly forging a passport. It is moments like that one that kept me engaged, and make this a great movie. I did have some issues with the ending, although I let them slide just because it was 1960 and even the French couldn't avoid such a finale. Although really does feel very film noir, and so it works in that regard.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Il Sorpasso (1962)

Marvelous comes to mind when I think of Il Sorpasso, also known as The Easy Life. Even though road trip movies existed before this one, Il Sorpasso is close to perfecting the art and nicely walking the line between comedy and drama. Events begin simply as two men randomly go for a drive and naturally become friends on a journey of self-discovery and realization. This is cliche now but back in 1962 it was still fresh and inspired. Having gone on road trips myself the road trip movie is never old to me and I usually get something out of them, even the crappy ones.

Roberto and Bruno are certainly a mismatched pair, another fun cliche in road trip movies. Zooming through the country landscape of Italy in Bruno's car, they engage in impulsive and unexpected adventures. Roberto is not as uptight as one is lead to believe, and Bruno still has a lot to learn for a man his age. The pair even do a good deal of people watching as they drive, remarking on human nature to themselves and even offering commentary even if they may be a tad presumptuous of themselves. Viewing this movie during quarantine reminded me of how I missed going out and interacting with people in a public setting.

Oh I'm still dwelling on the movie's ending and what it entails for our heroes. Some probably felt the rest did not set up for such a scene, yet I found the conclusion to be painfully bittersweet and appropriate for such a movie. I'm glad I held out and purchased it on Blu-ray instead of DVD since the updated copy is quite nice. More road trip movies, please.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 04-08-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

For my 1,000th post, a review (21,000 overall but who's counting?)

Carnival of Souls (1962)

When I was in college I saw Carnival of Souls on my local community college channel and while I liked it a lot and wrote about it (the review was on paper and is probably lost) I didn't think too much of it. Now years later and a second viewing thanks to Criterion I'm reminded why I liked it so much and I think it has a good chance of being one of my favorite horror movies. Being from 1962 the film is a decent snapshot of youth culture and the feeling of being an outsider.

I believe I touched on the main character being an outcast in her new town in my old review. Haunted by a past accident and left unsure of her future, Mary wanders through life in a dreamlike state. She attracts a suitor yet keeps him at arm's length, and her new job at a church is simply a means to an end. She just can't get that eerie looking carnival she passed by out of her head, nor can she shake the bleak looking man who keeps chasing her for some reason...

Too bad that Herk Harvey only made one movie, as he has a knack for low budget horror and making a solid, very freaky movie that digs into your brain and never lets go. Candace Hilligoss is also very likable and you can't help but root for her to escape despite knowing it's unlikely to happen. The bus scene is perfect, yet it is also surrounded by Mary losing touch with the real world. I'm not sure that the gorgeous and frightening conclusion makes a lot of sense, yet that doesn't matter. David Lynch sure was inspired by that part as well as George A. Romero.

Even though Hammer Films and later on Romero get a lot of credit for dragging horror cinema into adult displays of violence and actually being scary, some must be given to Mr. Harvey as well. I still find that blank, starring face to be the stuff of bad dreams one can't wake up from. Oh hey I think I hear some organ music playing in the background somewhere....
    Last edited by DFA1979; 04-11-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Sanjuro (1962)

Despite being quite different from it's sibling film Yojimbo, Sanjuro is mostly similar in quality although I prefer Sanjuro. Here Akira Kurosawa has more interesting things to say, dwelling on what means to be a samurai and also how to be a good one, a man who helps others. Toshiro Mifune continues to astound me with how legendary of an actor he was, using both ways of acting to great effect. Neither of the two movies would work quite as well without his towering, effective presence.

Neither movies contain very complex plots, and I don't mind that Kurosawa chooses to keep things very simple. Sanjuro is a savvy individual who decides to help a clan in desperate need, mostly for room and board but also since he feels it is the right thing to do. His willingness to aid those in need need also born out of pitty and a strong urge to instruct them in the ways of being a proper warrior. Unlike Yojimbo, Sanjuro prefers to not have as much violence, operating more as a drama instead of an action movie.

When violence does happen in this movie it is rather swift and at one point Kurosawa is not afraid to show the blood flowing. The ending is incredibly satisfying and offers a notable and bleak lesson on not knowing when to quit. I no longer own Yojimbo since I want to get the two pack of both films that Criterion still offers, yet until I do I'm holding on to my DVD copy of a very memorable film.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I noticed that Kurasawa's Dreams on blu was on amazon for $20. Cheapest I've ever seen it. En route. Long overdue to upgrade my dvd.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I noticed that Kurasawa's Dreams on blu was on amazon for $20. Cheapest I've ever seen it. En route. Long overdue to upgrade my dvd.
    I need to see that one.

Also my current problem is that I watch movies faster than I can write reviews. I managed to handle this year's Horrorfest just fine but most of the writeups are short and crappy. Some did reflect the quality of the film's viewed haha.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12