View Poll Results: WA WA WEE WA

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very nice!

5 62.50%
  • NOT

3 37.50%

Thread: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner)

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner)

BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM: DELIVERY OF PRODIGIOUS BRIBE TO AMERICAN REGIME FOR MAKE BENEFIT ONCE GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN
    (Dir. Jason Woliner)

IMDb page
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Enjoyed this a lot in a way that I would enjoy the Jackass movies. Granted, there is a character arc, but that's not why you're watching.

I do wonder how much is staged and what people are being real. It's funny at the moment, but also quite horrifying to think of the people singing emphatically with him when he says "chopping up the journalists like the Saudis do." Kudos also goes to the new actress Maria Bakalova who was just as convincing as Sacha.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm very mixed on this one... it's best in my eyes when it's testing people not in on the joke, as when Borat keeps having the gentleman in the copier send single word faxes back and forth. I could have watched another 5 minutes of that setpiece. It's a little more fish-in-a-barrel in mocking the South or paranoid set. He can't quite get close enough access to do any damage to any high-level Republican official--save for Rudy--and so it ends up more inert than the first one ever was in those areas.

Where it works is in Bakalova's commitment to the bit, which helps keep the film above water. It's... fine.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ehhhhhh. I don't know. Lightning doesn't strike twice I guess. I rewatched the first one and liked it again well enough, even if the comedy is now hit-or-miss (the Pamela Anderson bit is pretty lame and setup).

This one does that thing that annoys me w/ comedy sequels where they get a younger / smaller person to essentially be the mini me of the main character. Austin Powers 2 has a literal "mini me" while Blues Brothers 2000 did a similar thing with a lil' kid blues brother.

The Rudy Giuliani thing is much ado about nothing. People who work in audio and/or know editing tricks can see through that like a cheap tshirt in a rainstorm.

People are also croudfunding for the woman who helps out Borat's "daughter." Apparently Cohen cheaped out on her, paid her $3,600, and of course duped her into thinking the teenage daughter is really being sold off to a husband.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/je...er-1234595495/
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Producer
    I watched the first Borat for the first time this month, and am now mulling about how, contrary to most, I prefer its sequel by quite a bit. Even though the first one indeed feels like lightning-in-a-bottle phenomenon even now, it really only has one note to play. Granted, SBC utilized it brilliantly, but maybe my subjective comedy preference is that, as much as I was amused/entertained throughout, the feature length isn't as effective for its showcase as a TV series or online clips, and there's time for my mind to wander and be distracted by the real vs stage of it all.

The question of real vs stage is arguably thornier in this sequel, but it also has more story layers and comedic notes to play, with SBC retaining his ability to craft an outrageous situation (troubled by how catchy that rally song is) or dark zingers (the synagogue intro) as ever. It means that question doesn't have time to be pondered as much for me, and thus it's much more effective as a whole film. There's a more full-fledged narrative proper, with actual characters and their fleshed-out relationships. The former makes the film more engaging as a whole (the thread of 2020's US politics with its looming election; the pandemic that almost elicits an actual gasp from me when it's incorporated), while the latter proves quite a sneakily effective, surprisingly emotional landing.

That last aspect is so potent that I have to check afterwards, and sure enough, in between the two films SBC has become a father of three, including two daughters. Feels like the actor's real life seeps into both Borat's narrative and worldview, resulting in some touchingly hopeful, outright humanistic tangents (babysitter; Holocaust survivor) to contrast the ugliness, and especially in the Tutar character, brilliantly performed in both pathos and comedy by Maria Bakalova. That relationship's sweetness and real affection are so keenly felt underneath the vulgar jokes, creating a prankster version of Paper Moon dynamics that's genuinely moving. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Goading people into making blatantly racist, misogynistic, and homophobic comments on camera seemed shocking in 2006 because such things weren't usually said in public. (In those days, Republicans who wanted to get votes from racists still had to use dog-whistles so they could deny they were courting racists, in case someone ever called them on it--not that anyone did.) In 2020, after Facebook and four years of Donald Trump as president, it's not shocking anymore. I'm not saying Americans are dumber and more bigoted now than they were in the mid-2000s; only the expression of stupidity and bigotry has become so commonplace (and so international), it's impossible to be shocked by it. Is anybody surprised at this point that attendees at an anti-masker rally would go along with idea of chopping up journalists like the Saudis do? Or that Rudy Giuliani would baselessly assert that the Chinese government manufactured the Coronavirus? I've seen him say worse things on CNN.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    it's best in my eyes when it's testing people not in on the joke, as when Borat keeps having the gentleman in the copier send single word faxes back and forth. I could have watched another 5 minutes of that setpiece.
    I got the feeling that he was in on the joke. Ditto the guy who sells him a cage for his daughter.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'm sure people were in on it a LOT. Lots more emphasis on the "story" in the second one, and the entrapment element was far less important.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Or that Rudy Giuliani would baselessly assert that the Chinese government manufactured the Coronavirus?
    The etiology of the coronavirus is still a mystery and deeply strange to me. Even stranger that there isn't an independent, international coalition (outside of the WHO and the UN) to figure that one out beyond CCP propaganda.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 11-22-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    The etiology of the coronavirus is still a mystery and deeply strange to me. Even stranger that there isn't an independent, international coalition (outside of the WHO and the UN) to figure that one out beyond CCP propaganda.
    This is pretty tinfoil hat-y.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

What I've heard (and my source is a medical researcher who lives and works in the US, a longtime friend of my partner's) is that the lab that the virus originates from is a joint Chinese - US venture with tons of US funding, and that it got out purely by accident, so this is kept down low by both sides because obvious reasons.

I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant of how medical research is funded and operates, but what's the motivation for manufacturing a deadly virus? Where's the profit (financial and/or humanitarian) in that?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Not manufacturing, research. There are so many of these strains that are potentially dangerous, I'm betting there are more of these places where they try to stay ahead of pandemics by collecting samples and working on them to classify and determine the danger. How it happened that this was released might never be known, but I'm pretty sure nobody MADE it.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This is pretty tinfoil hat-y.
    Not really. I'm not saying I'm 100% sure the CCP is lying, I just find it deeply strange the world community that isn't China takes the CCP at face value w/ the biggest economic destructor of my lifetime and 1.4 million (so far, will go up) deaths world wide. How are there any guarantees this won't happen again?

The coronavirus is the weirdest thing of my life (and I imagine most people's life) on a macro level and it's wrecking small businesses world wide. 70% of small and medium sized movie theaters are in serious danger of going out-of-business by January. Shouldn't this concern people on a fuckin' movie forum?

We should demand answers without being accused of being "tinfoil hat-y." I didn't vote for Trump, but it certainly gives me pause that our next president is nearly 80 years old, fairly checked out about this, and will undoubtedly treat Chinese issues with kid gloves.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 11-24-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Sorry to derail the Borat thread btw. I realize this should go in the covid-19 thread we have. I only brought it up because even if you think Rudy G is a nut, we should be able to demand answers and accountability from our government. Joe Biden and his admin should not be off the hook here either.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Not manufacturing, research. There are so many of these strains that are potentially dangerous, I'm betting there are more of these places where they try to stay ahead of pandemics by collecting samples and working on them to classify and determine the danger. How it happened that this was released might never be known, but I'm pretty sure nobody MADE it.
    It's simply astonshing to me that all it takes is one disgruntled employee (or hell even one gruntled, lazy employee who doesn't use proper protocol in the lab) to kill millions of people and shut down the world economy. Often effecting small and medium sized businesses the most (Amazon and Big Tech actually made huge profits in the last nine months).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

...even if you think Rudy G is a nut....
    I don't think there is much to debate about this anymore, is there? Just in general, I mean.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Not really. I'm not saying I'm 100% sure the CCP is lying, I just find it deeply strange the world community that isn't China takes the CCP at face value w/ the biggest economic destructor of my lifetime and 1.4 million (so far, will go up) deaths world wide. How are there any guarantees this won't happen again?
    You say this but then are also against the use of masks and think the 1% death rate is too low to care about.

Which is it?

The coronavirus is the weirdest thing of my life (and I imagine most people's life) on a macro level and it's wrecking small businesses world wide. 70% of small and medium sized movie theaters are in serious danger of going out-of-business by January. Shouldn't this concern people on a fuckin' movie forum?
    Because most of us are more concerned with the immediate threat that is a deadly virus, than the survival of the theater industry.

I'm not saying that I don't have major sympathy for the people whose careers and businesses are being affected and/or ruined...but you won't have a business to ruin (or customers to give you business) if people are dead.

We should demand answers without being accused of being "tinfoil hat-y." I didn't vote for Trump, but it certainly gives me pause that our next president is nearly 80 years old, fairly checked out about this, and will undoubtedly treat Chinese issues with kid gloves.
    Trump is literally in China's pocket, so I would say Biden has a better chance of fair dealings with China than what we've gotten for 4 years.

Plus, Biden wears a mask, and encourages others to do so. He is already doing more in the fight against COVID than Trump has done.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It's simply astonshing to me that all it takes is one disgruntled employee (or hell even one gruntled, lazy employee who doesn't use proper protocol in the lab) to kill millions of people and shut down the world economy. Often effecting small and medium sized businesses the most (Amazon and Big Tech actually made huge profits in the last nine months).
    I've read that it's impossible that this virus was manufactured because tell-tale signs would be found. However, I think that a naturally occurring virus could be found, studied, allowed to flourish and then released. I've also seen this question posed, "who has the most to gain from a pandemic?" and some have pointed out that Russia is in the worst shape of the major powers. I can understand the idea that a pandemic brings down the richest nations and levels the playing field. Immediately dismissing the cause as possibly linked to political reasons is very disconcerting though I'm not saying that it was. I just say we need to keep an open mind.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 11-24-2020 at 08:43 PM.

The problem I have with all of the "somebody is doing this on purpose" conspiracy theories is the sobering fact that pretty much everything human kind has ever done in its history points to an incapability of organizing and orchestrating events on any scale even close to global.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    The problem I have with all of the "somebody is doing this on purpose" conspiracy theories is the sobering fact that pretty much everything human kind has ever done in its history points to an incapability of organizing and orchestrating events on any scale even close to global.
    Too true!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Goading people into making blatantly racist, misogynistic, and homophobic comments on camera seemed shocking in 2006 because such things weren't usually said in public. (In those days, Republicans who wanted to get votes from racists still had to use dog-whistles so they could deny they were courting racists, in case someone ever called them on it--not that anyone did.) In 2020, after Facebook and four years of Donald Trump as president, it's not shocking anymore. I'm not saying Americans are dumber and more bigoted now than they were in the mid-2000s; only the expression of stupidity and bigotry has become so commonplace (and so international), it's impossible to be shocked by it. Is anybody surprised at this point that attendees at an anti-masker rally would go along with idea of chopping up journalists like the Saudis do? Or that Rudy Giuliani would baselessly assert that the Chinese government manufactured the Coronavirus? I've seen him say worse things on CNN.
    I haven't watched the movie yet but so this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Some jokes go on for too long, but this still succeeds as a hilarious indictment of what America has become, and a biting but sweet narrative about a father's reconnection with his daughter as she discovers her self-worth. Maria Bakalova stole the show.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd